For The Love Of Zeus!! How Do U Partition A Hd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by summitviewfarm, May 6, 2008.

1. summitviewfarm macrumors newbie

WE GOT MY SON A CLAMSHELL G3 466MHZ 128MB - 10G HD THAT WAS APPARENTLY WIPED - WAS WITHOUT OS- SO BOUGHT SET - 9.0.4 - WAS SENT 9.0.2 - DID THE HOLD C THING - HOLD SHIFT - HOLD OPTION - NO LUCK INSTALL - SO BOUGHT 9.0.4 SET OS N TRIED ALL THAT AGAIN - STILL JUST THAT BLEEPN ' ?" - DID CONT/OPT/O/F AND FOUND FIRMWARE "DOS?" TYPE SCREEN - TYPED "MAC-BOOT"; C: INSTALL AND A COUPLE OTHER COMMANDS - AS U CAN GUESS - I'M AM SO GUESSING !!- NEARLY COMP ILLITERATE - BUT HAVE SPENT LITERALLY DAYS!!!! SEARCHN WEB FOR THESE SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS - TO NO AVAIL - NOW IVE GOT THE DAMN THING BOXED UP TO BE SENT OUT TO HAVE IT FIXED (BROKEN HD?) N ITS GONNA COST ME BUNDLES MORE -SO HELP ME CHECK ONE MORE TIME N SEE IF THE HD ONLY NEEDS PARTITIONING - BEFORE I CALL FEDEX OR JUST BURN THE DAMN THING ---PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAASE!!!:confused::confused:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Even with cruise control... you have to steer.

Macs aren't DOS. C: is meaningless.

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Plus, please stop YELLING. We'll be more willing to help if you can calm down a bit.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Buy 10.3, you'll have a lot more luck with it.

DOS and C: aren't going to do anything.

5. summitviewfarm thread starter macrumors newbie

Yelling??

Sorry - Not Yelling - Just Being Loudly Sarcastic - And Feeln Like A Boob Cause I Cant Do Something That Sounds Like It Should Be Simple - And If U Could Help Me I'd Be Ever So Grateful!!!

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

ALLCAPS is considered yelling on the Internet.

7. summitviewfarm thread starter macrumors newbie

Ohhhhhhh --- YELLING!

oops - son just informed me that i was yelling in caps - go figure! had no idea i could yell in type! anyway - no -not yelling - don't be offended - I need ur mac infused brains to help me if u know how to install an os on a wiped hd

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

All Word Caps is considered annoying on the Internet.

Hmm... So you can't boot from the disc? Can't even get into Disk Utility? It'd be nice to know the drive's formatting.

9. summitviewfarm thread starter macrumors newbie

u cant see me but this is the part when i look up with great big innocent puppy eyes and smile uncertainly as i hope with all that is in me, that my knight in mac armor will come and save my day!

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Booting from a CD with the "C" key held down is the correct procedure to partition or erase or install an OS on the hard drive.

The key is, though, whether you have an OS CD-ROM that is compatible with your model machine. This would be a Retail version of the OS, or a bundle version of the OS that came with another machine of the same model.

You cannot use a randomly-chosen bundled OS CD from another model of machine, because the resources on the CD are specific to the model, and chances are it will be missing resources needed for your notebook.

Also, IIRC your notebook reads CDs only, dependingon the model it may not be able to read a DVD -- so be careful you aren't feeding it an OS DVD.

Good resource site for these older machines is www.lowendmac.com
    Looks like your machine has a DVD-ROM and Firewire, which are both good news for you.

11. summitviewfarm thread starter macrumors newbie

drive wiped

and it doesn't do anything at all when I power up holding c with install disk in = just flashing ?

12. summitviewfarm thread starter macrumors newbie

k - makes sense - I did read that the cd/or dvd might be running super fast (dont remember tech terms) and held the door button for 20 secs to slow it down - it sounds slower - I think - also was told that this is a g3e - and probably has dvd capabilities as this was a special release - or something like that

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

What OS CD -- exactly -- are you trying? What is printed on the top?

14. summitviewfarm thread starter macrumors newbie

is there any way to download a macdisk utility onto my toshiba laptop and use a usb cable to run it on the ibook?

15. summitviewfarm thread starter macrumors newbie

16. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Please answer with what is printed on the top of the CD -- all of the words "System 9.0.4 Install Disk for PowerMac G3" or whatever. As posted earlier, it is critical to have the correct model of OS CD -- 9.02 or 9.04 does not tell us.
    No

17. summitviewfarm thread starter macrumors newbie

k - ssw version 9.0.4
    cd version 1.1 (oooooohhhh)
    691-2703-a
    ibook software install

and

ssw version 9.0.2
    691-2622-a
    ibook software install

18. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

19. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Right, if you know nothing about macs, read the following:

*** You don't need to partition the hard drive. ***

I'll say that again: no hard drive partitioning is needed. Forget all about that stuff.

Can you answer two questions for us please?:

1. What happens when you start up the laptop? (just plug the power cord, press the start button. No CDs or DVDs inserted, no holding keys down.)

I'm guessing you'll get a grey screen with a flashing folder icon or a 'sad face' picture in the middle of the screen. Let us know what happens.

2. What happens if you insert the 9.0.4 CD and restart? (no holding keys down.)

[EDIT: removed third question as already answered]

20. summitviewfarm thread starter macrumors newbie

yes to the flashing? - more of the same after puting in cd - absolutely no changes whatsoever- n the disks are orange w apple logo - seller stated they were original os software for our specs

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

When starting up. Hold the OPTION key (between apple and ctrl key), and then put the 691-2703-A cd in. Wait a minute. There should be choices.

22. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

On this machine (G3, 10 GB hard drive) it's recommended that the boot partition be less than 8 GB in size. So although partitioning is not necessary for most Macs, it is an option, and advisable for some.

23. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Hmm, I'm not sure what to say. The laptop should automatically look on the CD if it can't find an operating system on its hard drive.

1. Have a look at the CD. Is it scratched, does it have fingerprints on the shiny side? (the side without a label? Are you sure you're not putting it in upside down? (it goes in label side up, shiny side down)

2. Startup with the CD in the drive, and wait a bit longer after the flashing '?' shows up. It can take a few minutes for the CD drive to do its thing and unpack the system files.

3. If this still doesnt work then I'd suspect a defective CD or broken CD drive.

24. summitviewfarm thread starter macrumors newbie

just 2 arrow icons - right side of screen one is pointing to the right--- left side of screen ion looks like a refresh - cursor only clicks on refresh one - watch spins for about 30 secs n does nothing

25. summitviewfarm thread starter macrumors newbie

mercy - im not THAT computer illiterate;) --(shiny side down!!) and no scratches - i did hold that c button down for 35 mins because i read that it sometimes takes a while--i can hear the cd drive spinning however the little light by the button does not light up--sorry - perhaps i should have mentioned that--and now u probably need to pop urself on the head to get ur eyes back forward - I can hear all of your collective eyeballs rolling back in ur heads -