For the same price, which iPhone? New 6s or used 6+ with AC+?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmk1974, Oct 24, 2015.

?

For the same price, which iPhone? New 6s or used 6+ with AC+?

1. iPhone 6s (new) 64 GB

63 vote(s)
    90.0%
  2. iPhone 6 Plus (used) 64 GB with 1 year of AppleCare+

7 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

For the same amount of money, I can get these two phones. Which one should I get? Of course, answer and vote based on which one you like better.

A.) iPhone 6s (new) 64 GB

B.) iPhone 6 Plus (used) 64 GB with just over a year of AppleCare+ remaining

Basically, same storage, same warranty remaining, but speed and force touch vs size. Thanks!

2. IllusionEntity macrumors 6502

IllusionEntity

6S.

3. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

Why does it matter which one "we" like better? Are you buying us one too? :D

4. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

The 6+ is going to age quickly with that A8 chip and one gig of ram. I prefer the larger HD screen but the smart play is the 6s.

5. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Sorry, not in the budget ;) Just wanted to get opinions of course.

6. Broadus macrumors 6502a

Given the two options, I think the smart move is the 6s. I think you'll be disappointed with the speed of the 6 Plus. However, if I had a 64GB 6 now, I would hang onto it and my money and get the 7 next year.

7. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I have a 64 GB 6, but would pass it to my wife or one of the kids to replace their 5s.

8. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

iPhones are not wine. Always get the newest one you can afford.

9. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Are you indifferent about size, battery and screen quality? If so, the 6s is even more of a no brainer.

10. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

From trying co-workers 6s and 6+, I don't notice too much of a speed difference. From what I read, the 2 GB RAM in the 6s is a worthwhile feature though.

The 6+ screen is pretty sweet. Higher PPI and size of course. Better for 2-handed texting or browsing in landscape mode for sure. For convenience and 1-handed texting though, I do find the smaller 6s better.

You mentioned battery as well...is the 6+ a ton better? With my "regular" 6, the battery life seems pretty decent throughout a day of use.

I do hope the 7 will go back to sharper or square edges and have less bezel, but we'll all find out in just under a year.

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The 6S is the best iPhone ever made, whilst the 6+ is arguably the worst iPhone ever made. Stuff the Applecare.:)

12. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

13. MyMacintosh macrumors regular

Just wanted to add, GO HUSKIES!!

14. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

I think you would be paying too much for the 6 Plus.

Technically you would be paying $100 less than a brand new 6S Plus. (About $750 what you would pay, vs $850 brand new)

As you said, the AppleCare+ has one more year on it, so it's a wash, in that regard. The 6+ is worth about $500. On eBay, my sentiment is confirmed, give or take a few bucks.

I agree with the bunch here. Go for the 6S...

15. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Still very decisive here in the voting, thanks everyone. I'll go with the 6s for me.

For my wife, she's just trying to decide if the 6+ is better than the 6 for her use. I think it is since she texts and browses pinterest and whatever a bunch (at least in my opinion :) but there may be an issue with the larger size fitting into certain purse pockets and jackets or something.

16. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Lets just put it this way...

The iPhone 6s is by far the best iPhone upgrade to date. Some people will say oh it's just a "s" year but not this year. Apple could have changed the design just a little and called it the iPhone 7 .... The update is that major. This is no incremental update.

The 5 to 5s was incremental. The 5s to 6 was very incremental sans the bigger screens. The 6 to the 6s is what the 5s to the 6 should have been, but Apple held out and I understand why... But honestly after spending a year with the 6 and upgrading to this phone I feel as though I was jipped...

That's not me saying the iPhone 6 is a bad phone because it's not, but it was "crippled" out of the box... The RAM AND CPU performance is what crippled it. The iPhone 6s out of the box is the fastest smartphone in the world.

For the same price the decision is a no brainer

17. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

I like the bigger display, but I'd get the 6s. No question.

18. aneftp macrumors 601

You are completely wrong on the 5 to 5S being incremental.

It wasn't. Look at performance gain from 5 to 5S. Basically double the performance.

https://browser.primatelabs.com/ios-benchmarks

Compare the 6 to 6S. It's a huge performance boost also but not double the performance.

5S camera was also significantly better upgrade than the 5.

Also introduce fingerprint sensor.

It's just been that way with all the S upgrades. iPhone 4 to iPhone 4S was huge performance and camera upgrade as well.

19. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The 5S wasn't noticeably faster in real world use though, and an iPhone 5 on iOS6 would still smoke a 5S on iOS7 in all but geekbenching. Yeah the 64Bit processor alluded to things to come but no apps existed that took advantage of it, and it was actually detrimental because with the same 1GB of RAM as the iPhone 5 the 64Bit processor left less available for apps and browser tabs...hence more reloading/refreshing than the i5. Of course TouchID was helpful but not a gamechanger for everyone as I never used it on my 6+ and I don't use it on my present 6S+.

Overall, I'd take the iPhone 5 over the 5S if I had to keep one for three years starting from release date. It's the best performing iPhone of all time I reckon, comfortable keeping apace with its more recent brethren over four different versions of iOS. No other iPhone has ever managed that. Can you forsee the 5S keeping reasonably apace with the 6S and iPhone 7 when iOS10 comes out?

The 6S actually blitzes the preceding iPhone 6 models in real world use, which the 5S never did. Give me the i5's supreme longevity and 32Bit non-reloading/refreshing goodness!

20. AbsynthMinded macrumors member

If you can afford the newest phone, it will be less of a headache than dealing with a used phone IMO. Regarding AC+, that is more based on your personal experience. All my damages are "micro scratches" that you would need to look for in the right light on both the case and screen.

The 5S may have boasted more processing power but it definitely was not significantly faster when I tried it out for a week and a half compared to the 5. The 6S+ was not only SIGNIFICANTLY faster than the 6+ but also faster than any phone I have tried to this date, I don't think the 5S or the 6 could make that claim when they were released.

21. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

The 5 to 5s was an incremental compared to what the 6 to the 6s is. .. The 6 to the 6s is like a tick upgrade instead of tock. With the 5s you could tell it was a tock upgrade and not the tick. Yes it introduced the touchid and it introduced 64bit, but honestly what else?

It still had the 1GB of RAM. The A7 was a decent jump over the A6, but nothing like the A9 is over the A8. The A9 is a different kind of beast that no mobile SoC has been to this point

22. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

You are right. They could not, but the 6s can and for good reason. All an iOS device ever needed was 2GB of RAM and a good SoC. The A9 is an absolute beast when it comes to CPU performance and that along with the RAM has made this phone a monster. The 6 and 5s neither could claim that upon there releases

23. Merkie macrumors 68020

The A6 and A7 were also at the top of the league at the time of launch.

24. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I'm in no means saying that the 5 or 5s or 6 were bad devices. I'm just saying the iPhone 6s is a different kind of beast and is well worth the upgrade from whatever phone you have ...