For the techies..Do you think the X will be slower/laggy as 8?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Low country, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Low country macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I only ask because I bought the 8 a few days ago and it is lagging, freezing, skipping bad. It's running 11.0.3 and in 3 days it's been wiped clean, reset as new and still lags. As a matter of fact iOS 7, 8, 9, 10 and so far 11 has lagged.

By lag I mean when I scroll through settings, launch certain apps like camera, mail, news, (all default Apple apps) this iPhone 8 is NOT smooth. Yes I have tried changing reduce motion setting, background app refresh is off, all the unnecessary crap is off. Nothing helps.

So this leads me to thinking the X will be as bad if not worse due to the fact that the X is pushing a LOT more pixels, more technology etc from the exact same A11 chip which tells me the X isn't going to be the rocket ship many think it will be.

I need to swap out this 8 that I have to see if that makes a difference but based on how its acting (like several of my iPhones have) my hopes are low and sad.

2. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

I believe it's mainly the software. If iPhone 8 had 10.3.3, it would be bazingly fast, smooth af

3. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

The 8/8+/X have the same internals. Main differences are on the screen and cameras. The X is driving more pixels than either so unless there is something more to the specs if anything it might be a little slower.

4. Low country thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats exactly what I'm thinking Protoxx. All I want is a damn lag free fast smooth iPhone. I use a Note 8 for work and is SCREAMS its so fast but I'm a Mac and iPad Pro 10.5 owner and the iPhones naturally compliment the package, but I refuse to spend $1,000 to $1,200 for any phone and deal with lag and bad OS design.

5. FunkyTang macrumors 6502a

The trick will be not to upgrade for a month after you receive it.

6. Low country thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,
    What do you mean? the software version?

7. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

Have you considered your cell provider is the problem? Using inside metal buildings? Using inside a house with Tech Shield or other metal foil backed insulation?

8. puma1552 Suspended

9. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

The 8 Plus and X will have 3 GB of RAM, not 2. I think Apple and some developers aren’t writing as streamlined code as they did in the past. A developer posted as much a few days ago somewhere on this forum. I think Apple is being stingy with the RAM and it may be time to bump the bigger phones up to 4 and the smaller ones up to 3.

10. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

The Note 8 really is screaming fast. Just saying......:rolleyes:

11. StarShot macrumors 6502a

StarShot

I'm with you...

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Agreed (And you're correct about the Ram). Next year, it's been heavily rumored that a 6.4 inch iPhone X will launch. I would suspect 4 GB of RAM would be the minimum as an upgrade over 3 GB of Ram.

13. Jaekae macrumors 6502a

nope its the optimization for the new a11 processor thats not fully done yet. So ios 10 and all before would still have lag. Only new updates can fix this and many says the latest ios 11.1 beta fix it

14. Bane-Thunder macrumors 6502

So get yourself a Pixel 2? :)

Leave us iPhone X buyers with the super laggy terrible phone. :rolleyes:

15. Zigourney macrumors regular

I think things will get sorted out with ios 11.1
    I saw a video of ios 11.1 beta 3 on 9-5 mac this morning and they have sorted out some of the lagginess in that.
    Things will inevitably improve with the next few updates.

16. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I would return the phone. My 7 Plus is perfect on 11.1 beta. Not sure why the 8 would have any issues. No, I don't think the X will have any performance issues.

17. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Try doing a factory reset and start up and see if it’s the same. If not return it

18. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

The same architecture, but the X could have a touch more clock speed.

19. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

I played with the iPhone 8 in a store, smooth as butter everywhere. Wait for 11.1 or return it.

20. ApplePersonFreak macrumors 6502a

My 8 is fast and fluid on everything. It’s not the phone that’s causing the freezing, lag, etc. it’s iOS 11. 11.1 should be out soon and it’ll probably ship with the X so that will probably be a more solid update.

21. phillytim macrumors 65816

phillytim

The X should operate at the same speed as the 8 Plus, considering most everything is the same (CPU/RAM).

The X does have to push around 27% more pixels, however.

Theoretically, that could slow things down a hair for the X.

22. Low country thread starter macrumors 6502

--- Post Merged, Oct 17, 2017 ---
    Why did you bother posting? I'm asking a question and giving my opinion of another flagship. If you have nothing to contribute look elsewhere. Thank you.

23. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I'd imagine they could clock higher if needed. Did this slowdown happen with the Plus also?

24. ultravegeta1981 macrumors 6502

ultravegeta1981

25. Jaekae macrumors 6502a

Its most of the time butter smooth, but then suddenly start lags, and all needed do to remove lag is lock and unlock again so its a software bug, sometimes i only get it once in a day, other times more, and have the 8