Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mdv2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008

Good video and it's exactly why I went for the base model. I use my MBP for general computing and My current MBP 13" late 2013 with the base processor has done this job perfectly well for years. This is the first year that it's starting to show its age.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
Regardless of differences, why would one of the models not have the 10th gen and the rest do? I can't quite work that out.

Mdv2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
By an order of magnitude, plus you get the faster RAM and more base storage

The graphics you don't need for general computing and how substantial will the speed difference be between the two rams? I could have used 512GB storage, but all together the marginal differences considering my user profile don't justify an additional $700 (I'm not in the US).

Reactions: tthomson

FastLaneJB

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
The graphics you don't need for general computing and how substantial will the speed difference be between the two rams? I could have used 512GB storage, but all together the marginal differences considering my user profile don't justify an additional $700 (I'm not in the US).

You might notice the graphics performance if you’d running high res external screens but agree otherwise for general computing you’ll not notice it.

Don’t forget that the 10th gen has better speakers and mics in the mix.

Mdv2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Then the 2020 MBA sounds like for you

I would have gone for the MBA if it wasn't for Apple engineers thinking it could do without a well designed heatsink.

You might notice the graphics performance if you’d running high res external screens but agree otherwise for general computing you’ll not notice it.

Don’t forget that the 10th gen has better speakers and mics in the mix.

You might be right, but I personally use my macbook mostly on the sofa, connected to a bluetooth speaker. It just shows that one really should look at his own user habits/profile when deciding which model to go for.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Regardless of differences, why would one of the models not have the 10th gen and the rest do? I can't quite work that out.
Probably cost. Apple has likely concluded that enough people won’t care about the 10th generation and will be satisfied with the 8th generation, particularly if they don’t really use the GPU.

Reactions: chabig and Patcell

usernametakenforever

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2020
If I upgrade RAM and SSD on base model to match 4TB 10th gen ($1800) version, then it's $200 difference. For extra $200, you get below items

1) 2 extra TB ports. Flexibility to charge on either side :)
2) Faster RAM
3) Better GPU
4) Latest CPU
5) Better speakers
6) Faster SSD? (Not sure)
7) Better cooling (2 fans)

I think it's worth it to get 4TB version if one can afford it.

Last edited:

rosyapple

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2018
If I upgrade RAM and SSD on base model to match 4TB version, then it's $200 difference. For extra $200, you get below items

2) Faster RAM
3) Better GPU
4) Latest CPU
5) Better speakers

Exactly for this reason. Upgrading the base model to 16GB RAM and 1TB disk space vs the default high end model — since I need the extra RAM and disk space — the difference between i5 8th gen and 10th gen is €300. For this amount, I also get the abovementioned extras i.e. two extra TB ports give me the flexibility to choose whether or not I should carry an extra hub. These extras are worth it for me because this laptop is my main computer. Assuming I keep this laptop for at least 3 years, these extras work out to less than €10 per month, so it's a pretty good tradeoff.

Student discount also helps i.e. it allows me to get the i5 10th/16GB/1TB for the same price as i5 8th/16GB/1TB without student discount. From what I understand, in Apple US, they don't even check for your student credentials if you purchase online using the educational site. That means pretty much anyone in the US can get the discounted version.

For most people who are happy with the default 8GB RAM and SSD storage, I think it would definitely be more cost-efficient to get the base model. It's when you start adding extra RAM or disk space and comparing with what you will likely be using it for, then it becomes more cost-efficient to get the high end model.

Last edited:

Falcon80

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I would definitely jump in to get the base model if it doesn’t come a touchbar. :)

Unfortunately, I also need the performance for mobile development work like running Android Studio and Xcode. GPU should be less of a concern though.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
If I upgrade RAM and SSD on base model to match 4TB version, then it's $200 difference. For extra $200, you get below items

2) Faster RAM
3) Better GPU
4) Latest CPU
5) Better speakers

The $200 difference is the same with a 512GB configuration.

I doubt that most people need 4TB which makes it unworthy even if u have the money;)

Billiejoe87

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2020
I got the 10th Gen, but in all honesty the Base Macbook Pro is much better value at least in Australia.

If you bump the Hard Drive and Ram up to 512GB and 16GB respectively on the base model in Australia there is a $550 difference between the base and top model. It just doesn't make much sense for small improvements in performance.

Reactions: Mdv2

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I was debating these two and most likely going with the $1799 model. Not because I need a ton of power but I plan on keeping it many years so a small price to pay overall. Plus I really want to charge on the right hand side. I know I sound insane lol

Mdv2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
I was debating these two and most likely going with the $1799 model. Not because I need a ton of power but I plan on keeping it many years so a small price to pay overall. Plus I really want to charge on the right hand side. I know I sound insane lol

For what's it's worth, I have had my MBP late 2013 base model ever since then and it is only now beginning to show it's age.

Reactions: tthomson

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I think the base configuration with added upgrade of Ram to 16GB is a very robust computer for a lot of folks.

then you are talking over $400 savings with taxes. This is money in wallet and a very good system. I think this will make sense to a lot of users.

If money is not a factor for buyers then sure go big or stay home. That does not make the 4 port the best choice.

The best choice comes down to the individuals needs and finances.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.