For those of you thinking about buying the new MacBook...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleRepairMan, Feb 9, 2009.

1. AppleRepairMan macrumors newbie

I put the new unibody MacBook to the test not once, not twice, but three times. That's right. I took 3 MacBook Pro's (two 15" and one 17") to the WiFi test to see just how the stood up to three white MacBooks...

My Airport is downstairs. I have had no trouble getting on line from my office upstairs- that is, until I bought a new MacBook Pro...

For some reason, my MacBook Pro will not pick up a connection from my Airport. So I grabbed 2 of my customers MacBook Pro's (that's right, I fix macs for a living) and went up to my office. NONE OF THEM CAN PICK UP THE SIGNAL. Furthermore, 3 white MacBooks did.

Back in the day, I found this to be the same case with the iBook G4 vs the PowerBook.
    Hope this information helps!

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Aluminum blocks radio signals, plastic does not.

3. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

On the other hand, I, and many like myself are perfectly satisfied and think you should be too. So if you're in the market for a quality computer go out and pick one up, it's well worth it.

Or get on MR and bicker, ok, it's an aluminum case! The wi-fi signal has dropped off a bit, I haven't noticed too big of a change.

And if it bothers you then keep using your white macbook, no ones stopping you.

4. otis123 macrumors 6502a

i have a 802.11nairport extreme, so the signal is not an issue, my AL imac pickes up my WiFi at full strength, router upsairs, compy downstairs.

5. AppleRepairMan thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't need you to tell me that. I'm using it to type right now.
    I'm telling this to the world so they can make up their own minds. I don't tell people: "Buy this, it's quality" or don't buy this. I show people logical data.

And it does bother bother me. You also bother me. I shouldn't have to use my white MacBook when I have a... a "PRO". It's should be better. I know more about Macs than you will ever know. I've got over 20 years in this game. What do you have? 1, maybe two? I have a showroom with 45.

Where do they find you guys at? :confused:

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yeah, but the back of the iMac is plastic, no?

Still, it seems like one of those things that someone would have noticed at least by the prototype stage - if the aluminum case really blocks the wifi signal.

7. otis123 macrumors 6502a

i suppose your right, i forgot it was plastic on the back, oh well, one little issue with the mbp, i still wouldnt buy anything else, i went to frys this weekend, and all the vista lappys were garbage, they were cheap, the cases flexed, keyboards sucked, just bad over all! death to cheap plastic!

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Your wealth of experience is evident in this sentence you posted:

"For some reason, my MacBook Pro will not pick up a connection from my Airport."

With so much experience you should know its the aluminum case, and not some mystery reason.

PS. Back in the day, it was also the Powerbook's metal case vs the iBook G4's plastic case.

9. AppleRepairMan thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right. I have no idea why it won't pick up.

10. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

Anyone with any understanding of how radio signals work could tell you that an aluminum shell would diminish a wifi signal. It's not like you've stumbled on some breakthrough.

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Metal case instead of plastic.

I'm tempted to give you crap about your Mac knowledge esp after your self-righteous, "I know more about Macs than you will ever know. I've got over 20 years in this game. What do you have? 1, maybe two? I have a showroom with 45."

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The guy repairs Macs and didn't know this? :confused:

He must have spent years fixing weak his customers' "broken" aiirport cards in aluminium laptops when there was no problem at all. Nice!

13. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

In my house, my MBP gets strong signal from my wifi router (downstairs in a centralized "electronics" room, so I'm happy, although in my cabin around 100' away I used to get a 15-20% strength signal with my wifi pc card in an old Thinkpad, and my MBP doesn't get enough signal to work that far away... I can live with it, since the actual computer is light-years better.

For home set-ups, it wouldn't be too difficult to relocate the router to a better place, or set up AC current network wireless hotspots wherever needed.

This is old news.

14. Smacky macrumors 6502

Design flaw
    Form over function
    Poor R&D
    Case closed

15. Ploki macrumors 68000

function of rigidness over function of strong wifi signal.
    matter of personal preference, i like it this way, i dont mind the wifi that much.

16. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Ah... the zealots... they don't even surrender in front of quite a bit of evidence.

In the room where I work, there are three people (including me). The other guys have a white macbook and a Lenovo ThinkPad Something with a metallic case. There's me with my MacBook Pro (unibody).

I am the *only one* using an ethernet cable. The other guys just open their laptops and work.

It is clear that metals block the signal. That's why other "metallic" notebooks have an external piece for receiving the signal. FUNCTIONS over design and not the opposite.

But with all the zealots populating the Apple world, who offend everyone pointing out evident design flaws, we will end up working on a huge iPhone.

And many thanks to the thread author for pointing out severe problems you end up spending quite a bit of money. You can find a similar statement in the reviews on Ars Technica, where MBPs wireless reception is defined "pathetic".

thistle

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Great introduction to the forum! Complain about Macs, don't have answers, belittle members.... yep, a fine introduction! :rolleyes: Some of us have many more "years in the game" than you, but you don't see us throwing that around. And if you repair Macs, you should know the Wi-Fi antenna is under the plastic hinge.... it's not encased in aluminum. My MBP has such an excellent wireless connection that I can walk outside and down the driveway while surfing the web, 30-40 feet away.

18. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

hmmm

Apple know the difference between the reception through plastic over aluminium and so bottom line Apple should have accounted for it with the new machines ie: installed stronger signal receptors.

Zealots never back down and go onto flame threads like this down because they are exactly that, Zealots, ...or Apple stock holders... or Apple employees ..or just basically insane and cannot see the truth because of blind devotion.

Shame,....

..if EVERYONE where to be honest about there experiences, not just with Apple machines, but everything. We would see advancements like never before in our society which obviously would pass down to corporations like Apple and help them build better machines, as long as we are constructive in our criticism it can only have a positive affect.

But for that to happen society as a whole needs to be honest

~m
    :apple:

ps, sorry about waffling

19. lordthistle macrumors 6502

In this case we are speaking about objects. And, in general, negating evidence is not a good practice. Only religious people and political supporters do that... ah... and children.

thistle

20. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Then again its your experience against mine, and I have absolutely no problems with picking up Wifi signals with my 2 year old MBP. Don't really know what all the hub-bub is all about.

21. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

True , true , and the insane of course but one could argue whether or not 'they' know what is what anyway ...I was being dramatic in my choice of words in my previous post for effect, most of those types understand that effect , like ooh's and the ahh's when they pull out the brand new aluminium Macbook ,.. only they seem to have selective hearing 'those types' because they never appear to hear the laughs when folks say "you paid how much and you cant get wifi in your attic" etc etc

who was it that said form over function , unfortunately I am beginning to thnk that this is the case these days at Apple , although the antenna does have the opportunity to go through the plastic hinge the aluminium must interfere in someway around the other sides ??

~m

22. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Well there are many experiences. I had similar problems with my early 08 MBP, in the same room, on the same desk, with the same routers. Furthermore, I have no problems in receiving the signal in my garden, even if my router is at the second floor.

But *there are* places where the signal reception of MBPs is significantly worse than many other notebooks. For example, besides my desk at work, the north-west angle of my living room, where it happens to be a table. On the same table, the plastic Dell of my girlfriend receives the signal without problems.

If you really want to know, than be aware that it's enough to read the previous messages. But I do not think you're the kind of guy who really wants to know.

thistle

23. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

See and again I'm not discounting your experience. Its just that, coming and complaining on this board isn't going to make any difference to your current situation (except probably blowing off some steam). There are countless "messages" and "threads" about this and other "alleged problems" and then there are also countless people who have no problems whatsoever.

A problem to me would be something like the whole NVIDIA chip scandal thingy or the whole Sony battery recall program a few years back.

24. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I think Apple computers are actually living things and simply some work better than others , strange but then again ....

25. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Yes indeed, I think computers in general are slowly gaining self-consciousness and are poised to take over the world. They have moods and temperaments nowadays...