Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaleM3

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
Do you have an internal or external hard drive as storage? Or do you you roll with the just the 128GB. Also wondering how much space a few Apps/OSX take up. I just recently ordered a refurb 15" MBP (First Apple Computer) and today ordered a 128GB Crucial M4 as well as 8gb of Ram so I'm wondering what I'm going to do as far as space...I only have 119 GB space taken up on my PC and I've had this computer for 3 years and have a bunch of files that I could store on an external hdd.

atMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
I have had 120GB and 240GB, I mostly keep my files on an external RAID thats backed up. and only what ever I'm currently working on is on my MacBook.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I ripped the optical out of mine and added a second drive. The 128gb just wasn't enough especially since it is the computer my iPad backs up to.

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
Bought a 1TB external. Only have work essentials on my 128SSD, not even using up 30GB. iPhoto and iTunes libraries on external.

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
I installed my 120gb SSD via optibay and used an enclosure to make the dvd drive a usb drive. So 120gb SSD + 500gb HDD + usb dvd drive. I love it.

Have Lion, all apps, user folder on the SSD. I have my iTunes media folder, iPhoto library, and downloads folder on the HDD. I should also add I have multiple external HDDs that I use for backing up via both time machine and superduper.

refurbished

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2011
I took the optical drive out and put the 320GB drive that came with the computer there. That's where I keep my 100GB music library and all my (50GB) movies.

I have a 64GB SSD for applications and the OS itself. I'm currently only using 33GB. That's with Adobe Production Suite and a bunch of rather "small" games.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
I have a 128GB SSD. On it I've got OSX, all my programs (including some big ones like Photoshop, Acrobat, etc.), my iTunes library, and all my personal documents. I did move my iPhoto library to an external to save space. IMO 128GB is more than enough for basic personal use. If you have lots of music, video, or photos, it might not be, but then there's always the optibay option.

TheRdungeon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2011
I've got the 128GB ssd with a 750gb 7200rpm drive in the optibay, which works really well. Everything except apps and essential files goes on optibay

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of having a laptop in the first place..?

Not necessarily. An external HDD is actually pretty light, I can carry 1-2 around all day and not even notice the weight. Only troublesome thing is having to plug it in (and occasionally walking around with it) :D

JonBook Pro

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010
I have most of my essentials on my MacBook Pro (Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel...) with a Mac Pro to offset all the files and programs. Filled about little less than half so far.

CaleM3

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
Great! I'm not sure if I need the optical drive yet or not, so while i'm in changing out the hard drive and Ram I may get an optibay adapter and give the Dual HDD & SSD a try. If not, I'll just use the 500GB HDD as an external with the enclosure. Thanks for the responses.

SayMilesAway

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2011
Florida
I think if you plan to use your HDD in the optical space then you could def get away with a 128GB SSD. I'm entertaining this idea as well..

Risasi

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
I have a 120GB OWC in a 13" MBP. Nearly all of my work related activity is stored online or via servers.
And I also have it setup w/ a Windows 7 bootcamp partition for playing a couple Total War games. I also just installed COD2 and COD 4 from the App Store. I've thought about moving the 320GB HDD to the optibay, but I don't think I'll hassle with it. I still have 20GB free on each partition as it is. Maybe next year I'll consider a 250GB SSD and that should be more than enough storage space.

Spadoinkles

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
Florida
Optibay and externals buddy :D My data usage spikes up like anything with every inflow of fresh, unprocessed video footage only to go down when it's been edited and processed.

I shouldn't be talking because I'm not really the typical MBP consumer, but I do value storage over the ODD and the ODD really is light enough to carry around with you when you need it.

JH4DC5

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2010
i've got the apple 128gb ssd in my 15" that I use mainly for school work. I have office 2011, CS5, 11gb of music, a few photos, and a few other apps. I still have about 75gb free. I think 128gb is a decent amount, but my mbp is not my primary machine. I have a desktop that houses the majority of my music and video collection. I do carry around a 500gb portable that i use to carry a few movies on.

AppleGoat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2010
Funny you ask, this question has weighed on my mind the past few weeks. I have a 128GB SSD and I was trying to rationalize another 128GB SSD in the Optibay. However, my storage needs are so low. I have been rocking 77-78GB free for a few weeks now. I had a Powerbook G4 with a 60GB HD for nearly 6 years and only used about 40GB. I'm not sure why people have such great storage demands. Unless you're doing video stuff, you're telling me there isn't some detritus you could unload on an external drive or just delete? What takes up the most space is my music collection -- which I thought was large -- more than a week's worth of music; but, that's only 12 gigs. Keep in mind, it's hard for one to pose a question like this and get a good answer. One's storage needs are entirely personal, and incumbent on factors only you yourself could weigh.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
I'm thinking I will be going this route soon. I thought about the 240gb SSD but there probably isn't a needed since I'll do the optibay at the same time (with my 750gb HDD). I would only use the SSD for OSX + programs, Bootcamp windows + a few games, the HDD would be music, pictures, movies, ect.. The 240gb SSD would be nice but its not needed and the prices is still pretty dang high :eek:

AppleWarMachine

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2011
Michigan, US
I just roll with my 128 SSD, running Bootcamp (disk space - half mac / half windows 7-64bit) for AutoCAD 2009 (Civil 3D) for work. I have about 20GB free (10GB on each partition).

Ant.honey

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
New York City
I run a 240. Partition of 100gb for apps and such. 140 partition (probably overkill) for Photoshop scratch. I also have a 750gb 7200 in the optibay for working files. I keep the archive on a Drobo.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I added a second 120 SSD via optibay. I also a NAS for my large files

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
OSX with a bunch of developer apps like Xcode, 2 Eclipse flavours, MacVim, Maven, gimp this and that, basically quite a lot of apps but still countable but none very big I end up at around 40GB used space that includes all system files and stuff.
My Documents folder is 2.8 GB with a couple thousand files and documents but nothing big again just a lot of source files some pdf and doc files.

I have a 1TB internal drive for the big backups and media like movies and the bigger picture libaries with the 12MP photos but still I prefer to keep some smaller photo libs and music and download folder on the SSD for speed and noise reasons. That works very well. 65GB combined and 115 for the whole parition. 9GB free today but that varies often. When it gets too full I just move data off usually downloaded movies and stuff (My Notebook is my TV and there is no Hulu in Europe pretty much no decent streaming website).

Windows takes 65GB but that is a lot more difficult because I use it for games and games are huge programms today most weigh in around 12GB. I usually only have 3-4 installed at any given time.

I got a 170GB (advertised 180GB) SSD and am glad for it because with 128 GB and Windows on the SSD I would sacrifice a lot of convenience. Without the movies it would work well though.

TheRdungeon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2011
I swear this current quad core MBP is amazing, room for 2 HDDs, out geek benches a lot of Mac Pros and is still so thin and light. Crazy times we're living in

Jul 1, 2007
Indiana
With my 128GB SSD, I have around 65GB free. I store everything on my SSD except for my movies, which I store on an external. If I had the choice to do it again, I would go for a larger size and not worry about the external.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.