Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gillespie81

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2011
Minnesota
i have 128 and have all my app and files on ssd. have some movies from iTunes too. still have about 60gb left and i have a 500gb external for anything and everything else. I'm watching what goes on it till prices lower and then ill go to 500gb ssd.

Minhthien

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
I'm thinking I will be going this route soon. I thought about the 240gb SSD but there probably isn't a needed since I'll do the optibay at the same time (with my 750gb HDD). I would only use the SSD for OSX + programs, Bootcamp windows + a few games, the HDD would be music, pictures, movies, ect.. The 240gb SSD would be nice but its not needed and the prices is still pretty dang high :eek:

this is exactly what am thinking about doing to my MBP too! But ill wait till black friday see if any deal on the new Samsung 256gb! I know how to format the SSD to install OSX but how do you format the HDD just for storage(itune, movies, pictures, etc.) ?

bobo911

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
For people with the optibay of SSD and 7500rpm, does your battery life get noticably shorter?

dionysious

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2011
For people with the optibay of SSD and 7500rpm, does your battery life get noticably shorter?

Yeah, i have a macbook aluminium late 2008, speed is really ******** me at the moment, especially with lion! So i just bought a Intel 320 120gb ssd, a samsung mp4 spinpoint 640gb 7200rpm hdd and one of them cheapo fenvi data doublers. The two drives will probably arrive in a week but the data doubler is coming from HK so that will take ages. My battery only lasts like 3 hours 'at best'. i guess ill tell you when everything is in how it went.

Freddy1765

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
I swapped the stock HDD for a Samsung 470 128GB.
I'm currently using < 40GB of storage, a lot of which is music files; otherwise I've got the programs needed for school like Office and other minor ones.
Got an external for movies and backups (if you have a Windows desktop like me, format the external to exFAT, runs on both OSs).

If you don't need the space, I'd advise against using an SSD and the stock HDD; IMO the HDD is loud as hell, much more so than the fan.
'Loud' is perhaps an exaggeration, but when I'd use my MBP in a silent room it was very annoying listening to the HDD spinning away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.