For those on launch IUP does it mean you will make an extra payment on upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kahsheh, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Kahsheh macrumors regular

I got my iphone 7 on launch day - Sept 16, 2016. Since the official launch is Sept 22, 2017 for iPhone 8, does that mean I will be billed an extra month even if I preorder on Sept 15, 2017? Thanks in advance.

2. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502a

QueenTyrone

When is your payment? If it's before 9/15 then yes, if it's after then probably not

3. First Post G macrumors regular

I believe I read on another thread that if you pay more than 12 months on your old phone, you get some sort of credit.

4. Kahsheh thread starter macrumors regular

My payment is 9/16. That sucks if that is the case.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Is that recent or from last year? I know last year they did that.

5. Chele macrumors regular

Chele

Good question, OP. I would like to have a more concrete answer to this. I actually enrolled a week later last year, on 9/22/16. Of course, we know that the 8+ is supposed to be available that day. I wonder if I'll have to pay the 13h payment? Especially if I do that upgrade thru mail way. I wonder how that works. Hmm.

6. Wags macrumors 65816

Especially with ipx launch ?
    Do we make more payments or something worked out with Apple and Citizens Bank.

Also if not, then next year if all phones released in September then new AUP contracts with ipx will not be eligible or have to pay 2 months out of pocket to get in September.

7. unclefarkus macrumors member

These are my concerns too. Even worse since I plan to get an X. And even much worse if the stock is thin and I can’t get one for months after release. At that point I’d be better off to just pay off the phone and sell it myself. Which defeats the entire purpose for me doing the IUP.

But maybe, hopefully, the credit for additional payments is true.

8. Wags macrumors 65816

Even if get credit, the problem will be the new contract start date is November or later if have to wait.

9. Kahsheh thread starter macrumors regular

So I chatted with apple. They said that once your phone ships, your loan is put on hold which means no payments. Once the loan closes, you can request for a refund for the unused days. This may work for you without calling citizens.

10. kougra6541 macrumors regular

I called Apple yesterday, they said once the new plan is set up, you will be pro-rated a credit of the unused days that you paid for.

I'm in the same boat, my payments are currently the 18th

11. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

This is why buying a phone outright is always the better way to go.

12. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Has Apple addressed what will happen next year assuming the next phone is released in Sept as usual? I don't doubt the iPhone X also will be hard to get even on launch in November. I sure hope those of us on the IUP can get it at it's launch since we are already a month behind now (payments etc)....delaying it further would make it even worse for next year etc.

I'm also waiting to chat with Apple right now!

13. Chele macrumors regular

Chele

Oh, awesome. Thank you for letting us know. I assume that this info is more for the iphone 8 peeps than the iphone X ones, just because of the big delay in shipping. I was thinking that I would have to make a payment on the 22nd though, because that's when mine is due. It'd be fantastic if I don't have to!

14. Kahsheh thread starter macrumors regular

Chat with apple. They will credit you back for unused days... from when you started a new loan.

15. Wags macrumors 65816

Not really if a person upgrades every year. About $75 difference if use trade in service vs iup

16. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

The Apple rep I just talked to was rude and answered no questions about this issue. Apple takes the stance to basically "deal
    With it"....you signed a 24 month agreement. Who cares about the extra payments. Ugh :(

17. Wags macrumors 65816

This type of credit seems to be answer for the month in which you upgrade. Does not really answer 2 months extra payments and those are ' used ' months.

18. Shadowbech macrumors 601

So I got the 7 Plus on iUP last year on 10/15/16 and yes I'm eligible for an upgrade but it stated that they will bill me 1 more month (understandable, as I only have $45.75 remaining, which does get taken out of my account on 9/15/17 anyways). I got pre-approved using the Apple store app.

19. Wags macrumors 65816

So if you get the 8 you would still owe the month. If get X, you have already paid your 12 months but pretty much lined up with launch. No extra payments

20. Shadowbech, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

Shadowbech macrumors 601

Pretty much, but I'm not interested in the X. I'll just pay the month I owe and get the 8 Plus. Which then puts me back on track for next year as well.

21. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

But unfortunately if getting the X we would pay an extra payment. And then also be off schedule for launch next year and have to pay extra then too. :(.

22. kougra6541 macrumors regular

Assuming you got the phone in September last year, you are most likely making 2 extra payments. August would have been your 12th payment, making September and October Payments not "necessary".

23. Shadowbech macrumors 601

Last I heard and read, I thought I read that after you buy the X and if you overpaid and you call citizen one that they credit you one month? That's what I read last year when couple had this issue getting the 7/7 plus. And I read somewhere when I signed up for the pre-approval that they freeze it until they receive your old one back.

But for me my 12th payment is tomorrow and I'm getting the 8Plus as I am eligible for an upgrade on iUP.

24. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Yea and sadly, Apple couldn't care less. Sort of a bummer that because of the delayed release of the X, it'll end up costing IUP users extra. That's not to mention the possibility of many getting it even later than the 11/2 release because it'll be severely backordered as usual.

25. CoriG macrumors 6502

I spoke to an Apple rep today because I had to pay 6 months in advance before qualifying to upgrade. I was told that if we pay over the amount (in my case, I will be double paying for a few months), I will get a credit applied toward my next phone assuming that my phone is worth more than a year's worth of payments.