For those that dont see "early upgrade" option ($399/499)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hookem12387, Jun 10, 2009.

1. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

What have yall done? I'm in this boat, too. Curious if you've called ATT or found a way to get it for the $399 price. Really sucks as I was ready to do it for $399 and almost everyone seems to get that price as an option. When I went through apple or ATT, neither showed me that option, only "non-commit" prices. ughh

2. Chrisrokc macrumors regular

My sisters iphone 3G on my family plan had her at the full price. Everyone else with the iPhone 3G had the correct pricing. I thought it was just an error so I tried a couple of times over a two day period. Same issue. I ended up calling AT&T and she looked over the account and could not find the reason why she did not qualify. She thinks it was an error in their system. Anyways, she filed something that someone else is going to look at and get back to me next week. I bet it is just an error in their system if you have an iPhone 3G.

3. hookem12387 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. thecoolone1 macrumors regular

I'm having the same issue. Please let me know what they tell you when you call! :)

5. saDeRmac macrumors regular

Best advice I can give is go to an aT&T corp store...

6. hookem12387 thread starter macrumors 6502

Are not all stores corporate stores?

7. sesnir macrumors 6502

I emailed AT&T to inquire about the $500 pricing vs the $700 I'm currently offered.

It turns out you can only "early upgrade" once every 18 months. Since I last upgraded from my BlackJack to the iPhone 3G last July, I'm ineligible from even doing early upgrade this time around. In December I could get the 3GS for $299 though.

So I'm forced to pass on this phone altogether... I'll get whatever Apple releases next year for $299 or whatever.

8. hookem12387 thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont buy it. No one with the 3G got it within the last 18 months. I'm sure that's what they told you, but it has to be wrong

9. aristobrat macrumors G5

No, most of them are "authorized resellers", and my experience has been their willingness to help you with a problem declines as the problem gets harder to figure out. :D

"Authorized resellers" are not authorized to sell iPhones, so if they're being butts, they have even less incentive to help a person figure out why they aren't able to upgrade to one.

10. hookem12387 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just got back from an ATT store and they told me I couldn't get the early upgrade unless I'd had my phone for a year, end of story. If this isn't the case for everyone else, I'd love to know.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is the case for just about everyone unless you got your 3G less than say 2 months ago. There are reports of people getting the 3GS if they just purchased the 3G.

12. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I've only had my iPhone 3G since November, but I got the early upgrade price.

13. svander macrumors newbie

I bought a 3G last Month (May) and I have the upgrade options available at $399 and $499. I don't think I'll do either (not worth it to me) but they're available through AT&T.

14. hookem12387 thread starter macrumors 6502

15. svander macrumors newbie

It must be an error on their part since the non-subsidized (full) prices are $399 for the 16GB and $499 for the 32GB, aren't they?

16. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I just got my iPhone 3G in February of 09, and I received the upgrade pricing for my 3GS pre-order. The way At&T is determining who is eligible for no commitment pricing is impossible to figure out it seems.

17. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Not in my case and also for many other customers. Each line is evaluated on an individual basis and based on several factors.

I was eligible for the "Early Upgrade" after 2 months on a new contract.

Recent line history: I pre-ordered a new 32 GB iPhone 3G S on June 9. The line that was used for this pre-order is a secondary add-a-line on a FamilyTalk rate plan that has a FAN attached. On Jan 5, I signed a new two year service commitment via an authorized agent's online store and I received a subsidized handset. On March 6, I ordered a refurbished iPhone 3G from Premier, a 16 GB iPhone 3G at the $299 "Early Upgrade" price. This upgrade reset my contract date for a new two year commitment. As of June 6, I was again eligible for the "Early Upgrade pricing on any AT&T device on this line.

This post is based on my personal experience and is not meant to imply that everyone will qualify for this benefit. Again, each account and each line is evaluated on an individual basis. Individual experience does not imply that everyone on your account, block, city or even state will get the same deals from AT&T.

Dave

No the "No Commitment" pricing is $599 / $699, the $399 / $499 is the "Early Upgrade" pricing.

Please see this page from AT&T for the details: http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=1574#tab2

Dave

18. svander macrumors newbie

Interesting. I've been with AT&T for about 4 years now and my contract was re-extended for two years when I bought a 3G last month yet I am qualified for "early upgrade" pricing...

Odd. :confused:

19. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Here's what im doing:

Adding another line to get the 32gb canceling it after 30 days pay the ETF and months bill. So that way next year my current line will be eligible for the 2010 iPhone.

20. cornelius1 macrumors member

The question is, did you upgrade to the iPhone 3G last July as an "early upgrade"? That is, did you get the iPhone 3G before your contract for the BlackJack ended? Also, how much did you pay for your iPhone 3G?

21. Djs621 macrumors regular

I think your account has to be in "good standing" AKA no balance.. Not 100 percent sure though

22. BLACK MAC macrumors 6502

Can we do that? Wouldn't they know your using the new iPhone on the primary line after 30 days?

23. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Yes, you can do that.

24. oncdoc macrumors newbie

If you do that, you end up paying $175 ETF and one month service - but you do get to keep your current number.

On the other hand, if you just upgrade your current line, your ETF in 1 year will be ($175-12*5)=$115 and no extra month of service. But I guess even though you'll save money, you'll have the hassle of losing your old number.

25. sesnir macrumors 6502

The 3G came out in July 2008... that's within the last 18 months. Everybody who has a 3G got it within the last 18 months. If you did an early upgrade within the last 18 months, you can't do another yet.

Yeah my 3G was $500 and was an early upgrade...

The only thing to keep in mind is if you went from the original iPhone to the 3G, you're still eligible to get the 3GS for the early upgrade pricing.

It sounds like if you paid $299 or less for the 3G last year, you can get the 3GS for $499/$399.