For Those That Hate the New Menu Bar...

Queso

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
...here's a PNG of a blank piece from the old Tiger one. Simply edit your backdrop image overlaying this across the top and it's problem solved.

At least until Apple listen to everyone and allow us to adjust the transparency level anyway ;)

Picture 1.png

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
...here's a PNG of a blank piece from the old Tiger one. Simply edit your backdrop image overlaying this across the top and it's problem solved.

At least until Apple listen to everyone and allow us to adjust the transparency level anyway ;)

View attachment 88934
lol some people are going to be like "wtf where is the attatchment?"

Edit: Hmm... before it was showing up as white for me so I couldn't see it at all. Now it's grey........

iZac

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2003
Shanghai
Its worth noting that both during the install and on low end machines, the menu bar is solid. Surely there must be some sort of terminal command to edit it, in a similar way to the dock shelf edit?

psychofreak

Retired
May 16, 2006
London
I can't test it out as I don't have 10.5, but this should work :)

EDIT: Confirmed not to work with 9a581 sorry, but this at least gives you rounded menubar corners...

iZac

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2003
Shanghai
Hmm, mine was semi-transparent during the install (CD MBP). Maybe only low end machines get the solid on install?
*sad face* i'm running a mac pro, but during install (when booting from disk) it was solid. Scouts honour.

slimflem

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2005

View attachment 88934
Why all the hate on the new menu bar, I think it looks great. It matches the theme of the OS very well and has a nice soft look to it. I also like how it takes on slightly the look of your background image. It's very nice. I never cared for the slightly wavy line that went thru the menu bar in Tiger. I could never go back to Tiger now that I have Leopard.

G75

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere in the Milky Way.
I dont understand either. I barely even notice its transparent.
Why all the hate on the new menu bar, I think it looks great. It matches the theme of the OS very well and has a nice soft look to it. I also like how it takes on slightly the look of your background image. It's very nice. I never cared for the slightly wavy line that went thru the menu bar in Tiger. I could never go back to Tiger now that I have Leopard.
I strongly agree. I love the new menu bar, it fits in WAAAAYYY better than the old one from Tiger.

PJF13

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2007
I like the new menu bar too; actually I would make it even more transparent.

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Round Lake, IL
To me, the new menu bar defines Leopard. Everything else is just an app that's been added, but the menu bar (as well as the new dock) is the first visual clue you have that you're using Leopard. Imagine if Vista looked just like XP, or even worse: NT/2000. :rolleyes:

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006

Verdanice

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2007
Okay, so I must be crazy. I upgraded to Leopard and the menu bar is solid and I believe it was through the installation as well.. low end machine? Not so much, MBP 2.4GHz/2GB. I almost want it to go translucent just so I can see what the hell people are talking about.

That said, I think there's something wrong in general as it's not as responsive as people are reporting it to be for me, not at all.

Gondry

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
London
I found this in the apple support site, works on my MBP

cheers to leo:

LeoColorBar, which provides a work around, not a fix. Basically it automates drawing a rectangle of a user specified colour at the top of desktop pictures to mimic a solid menu bar.

It does the business for now, and it doesn't hack anything so shouldn't do any harm

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/26081/leocolorbar

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
It looks fine when you can see your desktop wallpaper. But when you've got a window open fullscreen (or even windowed but just underneath the menu bar) it looks tacky as hell ... IMHO. ;)
Good example. It looks fine when you are viewing the Desktop, but when you have application's windows open adjacent to it, it looks wrong. Unless you have a monochrome desktop image, there will always be a color tint next to the normal light/dark gray. It looks inconsistent.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
To me, the new menu bar defines Leopard. Everything else is just an app that's been added, but the menu bar (as well as the new dock) is the first visual clue you have that you're using Leopard. Imagine if Vista looked just like XP, or even worse: NT/2000. :rolleyes:
There are other changes to it, besides the transparency.

It has a smooth gradient, instead of the abrupt "line" of Tiger's.

Both the Apple and the Spotlight menu item's icons are black/gray.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Aperture disables it, along with Soundtrack and LiveType.

Especially in Aperture's case, it's not a good idea to have expanses of color tints near an image you are trying to color correct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.