For Those That Hate the New Menu Bar...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Queso, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Queso macrumors G4

...here's a PNG of a blank piece from the old Tiger one. Simply edit your backdrop image overlaying this across the top and it's problem solved.

At least until Apple listen to everyone and allow us to adjust the transparency level anyway ;)

Picture 1.png

2. haiggy macrumors 65816

lol some people are going to be like "wtf where is the attatchment?"

Edit: Hmm... before it was showing up as white for me so I couldn't see it at all. Now it's grey........

3. 23am macrumors regular

23am

4. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

Its worth noting that both during the install and on low end machines, the menu bar is solid. Surely there must be some sort of terminal command to edit it, in a similar way to the dock shelf edit?

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I can't test it out as I don't have 10.5, but this should work :)

EDIT: Confirmed not to work with 9a581 sorry, but this at least gives you rounded menubar corners...

6. G75 macrumors newbie

Hmm, mine was semi-transparent during the install (CD MBP). Maybe only low end machines get the solid on install?

7. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

*sad face* i'm running a mac pro, but during install (when booting from disk) it was solid. Scouts honour.

8. G75 macrumors newbie

Hmm, I mounted the disk to the desktop and launched the installer from there. It shouldn't make any difference, but maybe it does. strange.

9. slimflem macrumors regular

slimflem

Why all the hate on the new menu bar, I think it looks great. It matches the theme of the OS very well and has a nice soft look to it. I also like how it takes on slightly the look of your background image. It's very nice. I never cared for the slightly wavy line that went thru the menu bar in Tiger. I could never go back to Tiger now that I have Leopard.

10. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I dont understand either. I barely even notice its transparent.

11. G75 macrumors newbie

I strongly agree. I love the new menu bar, it fits in WAAAAYYY better than the old one from Tiger.

12. PJF13 macrumors member

I like the new menu bar too; actually I would make it even more transparent.

13. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

It looks fine when you can see your desktop wallpaper. But when you've got a window open fullscreen (or even windowed but just underneath the menu bar) it looks tacky as hell ... IMHO. ;)

[​IMG]

14. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Hey that is awesome, thanks for sharing!

If I can't adjust the transparency at least I can have my rounded corners back.

15. ivnj macrumors 65816

16. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

To me, the new menu bar defines Leopard. Everything else is just an app that's been added, but the menu bar (as well as the new dock) is the first visual clue you have that you're using Leopard. Imagine if Vista looked just like XP, or even worse: NT/2000. :rolleyes:

17. ivnj macrumors 65816

18. Verdanice macrumors regular

Okay, so I must be crazy. I upgraded to Leopard and the menu bar is solid and I believe it was through the installation as well.. low end machine? Not so much, MBP 2.4GHz/2GB. I almost want it to go translucent just so I can see what the hell people are talking about.

That said, I think there's something wrong in general as it's not as responsive as people are reporting it to be for me, not at all.

19. Gondry macrumors member

I found this in the apple support site, works on my MBP

cheers to leo:

LeoColorBar, which provides a work around, not a fix. Basically it automates drawing a rectangle of a user specified colour at the top of desktop pictures to mimic a solid menu bar.

It does the business for now, and it doesn't hack anything so shouldn't do any harm

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/26081/leocolorbar

20. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Good example. It looks fine when you are viewing the Desktop, but when you have application's windows open adjacent to it, it looks wrong. Unless you have a monochrome desktop image, there will always be a color tint next to the normal light/dark gray. It looks inconsistent.

21. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

There are other changes to it, besides the transparency.

It has a smooth gradient, instead of the abrupt "line" of Tiger's.

Both the Apple and the Spotlight menu item's icons are black/gray.

22. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i really like the new menu bar too! i love how it seems to blend into any desktop picture and the transparency makes you concentrate much more on the active window.

23. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Aperture disables it, along with Soundtrack and LiveType.

Especially in Aperture's case, it's not a good idea to have expanses of color tints near an image you are trying to color correct.