For those that have gotten replacements due to backlight issues...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macdude2, Mar 29, 2011.

1. macdude2 macrumors member

Have any of the Geniuses given you an issue over getting a replacement for backlight issues? Are you finding that they have replacements in stock or are they having to order them? How long is it taking to get the ones they order?

I'd really like to get mine replaced, but I worry about getting one even worse than the one I have now. If I do get it replaced, I'll probably have them power it up & look at it before I leave.

How is everyone else faring with replacements?

2. MSUSpartan macrumors 6502

I am replacing mine over a dead pixel and also dust under glass. They ordered a replacement for me yesterday and told me it'd be 5-7 days. Just got a call from them that it's ready for me to pick up... this is at Apple Fifth Ave.

3. bigpatky macrumors regular

bigpatky

I went to the Apple store on Friday. The genius looked at it for less than 2 seconds and immediately said it needed to be replaced. No questions asked. I haven't gotten a call about my new one being in yet. I'm not too worried about it as my iPad is more than functional while I wait.

4. peaceActivist macrumors regular

peaceActivist

San Jose and uhh...that area, California. They don't fuss about backlight issues. And they do have backstock for replacements.

5. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

Schedule a Genius Bar appointment, guy looked at it and went to the back and couple minutes after came back with a new one in box. The new one seems like it suffers from light bleed and it has couple scratches on the back like the previous ones I had. I'll hold off till this coming weekend to schedule a Genius Bar appointment so hopefully it'll be a new batch. Most Apple stores hold off a few extras for replacement as long as it's within the 14 days. Also, make sure that you bring everything that came with it.

6. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

has anyone called in for a replacement if you do not live near an apple store? Currently im at school and when i receive my ipad i hope i do not have any of these issues. however, if i do i hope theyll be able to take care of me.

7. macdude2 thread starter macrumors member

So, if you're still within 14 days, will they just replace the entire thing, including charger, etc. instead of giving you one of the brown boxes?

8. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

What if you are past the 14 days? I got my iPad on launch day and it does have the light bleed issue but I didn't want to exchange it because of the people showing they got replacement units that were actually worse. If Apple actually resolves this issue will they replace for everyone or will the replacements be based on how bad the issue is on each unit?

9. ArcAngel66 macrumors regular

I found that the best way to get a new replacement is to bring in EVERYTHING and in exactly how it came. Make sure to mention the words "I just want a new one." Don't mention buying it two or more weeks ago, mention something like "I literally just got this and the second I turned it on I noticed backlight bleeding. So I just want a new one" Then hand him the entire box, not just the iPad, lol.

10. v4rl3y macrumors newbie

I had some bleeding in mine, not terrible but enough that I wasn't happy with it. I took it to the Genius Bar last week out here in California and the girl said it's normal and that her and all the other Geniuses agreed it was fine. I left, unsatisfied. I went back yesterday and the gentleman this time said it was a cosmetic issue and that there is nothing they can do to fix it. But they want me to have a good experience with it so he replaced it, was very nice about it. I was on day 13, not sure if that made a difference. Now I have a new one in the wrapping, deciding if I should open it or wait and just take it back later.

11. jedolley macrumors 68000

I ended up calling Apple care for my replacement and there are a couple options, but I only know the details for the advanced replacement. The guy I spoke to did not give me the feeling he had fielded many calls for this specific issue, but handled it without question. He just asked me to describe the issue and where on the iPad the issue was occurring. He started processing the advanced replacement explaining there would be a hold on my CC for the amount of the iPad until the defective one was returned. He also stated that there normally was a $29 fee, but it was waived since I have Apple Care (which I got for free, but that's a different story). He stated that it should come via overnight shipping, and once I received mine I would ship it back in the provided packaging.

At the time I called he said it might not make it out today (Monday), saying it should go out by Tuesday at the latest and arrive Wednesday. It's almost midnight CT and I still haven't gotten a shipping update for it. It's not a big deal since I still have mine, but It would be nice to know if there is a hold up. If it doesn't update overnight then I'll give them a call in the morning.

12. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Will apple still replace it even though it was purchased at a Radio Shack?

13. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

Yes. It's a 1 year manufacturers warranty provided by Apple. Doesn't matter where you bought it. You can also buy Apple Care if you wanted to extend the coverage regardless of where you bought it.

14. RSNL macrumors regular

Or MacMall?

15. jedolley macrumors 68000

I don't think it matters which store it was purchased from... Mine was bought from B&H and I had no problem. The store was willing to do it for me, but had no stock, so I called Apple Care and they are taking care of me.

16. iJordz macrumors member

I got told by me Genies thats its best waiting a month or so, then ordering a replacement for my iPad,

17. Muscleflex macrumors 6502

same here - i have mine back in the box to take back because of a couple of scratches on the back. i just hope they have a replacement as it's a 60mile round trip for me

18. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

I had a lady on the phone and she was not very willing with me. I told her I got mine replaced in store and they noted what they replaced it with one what had the same issue. And I was told to wait and see "IF THE GLUE DRIES"she was talking stuff about 14 days etc. and sending it in for repair ?
    I am not happy I got an appointment Friday. I drive quiet far and we are on Spring Break so taking the time and gas money AGAIN
    Also the replacement has a homebutton way of center .
    I want a 100% working Ipad 2 because that is what I paid for .
    It was faulty out of the box . I did not pay for refurbished.

19. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

Yeah and then they won't give you a NEW item just refurbished ...I did not pay for refurbished

20. Phillyfan1290 macrumors newbie

got off the phone with an apple care supervisor, I already had to get a new charger cause the one that came in the box didn't work? w.e I had a new one within 24 hours so couldn't complain. Back light bleed kept getting worse (or I kept noticing it more) so I called very calmly and explain it they saw that I mentioned it before. They told me I could go to a store and exchange it but couldn't guarantee me stock. I live 2 hours from a store so I said no can you put a hold on my card send me one and ill send it back? They told me since I don't have apple care they cant? wow so u want me to buy apple care which i wont use since i sell my apple products before they new one comes out. And he said there is nothing he can do he can give me the ups code to send it in overnight and have one within 3 business days. Finally i just said, fine ill do it and push by my meeting that i use the ipad for a lot. Ten i asked him what about my skins on my back and screen protector im gonna loose them. he said I could choose something from the apple store and he would send it to free. So I figured I would try a leather smart cover and see how it is. Not pleased with whats happening but not upset. They sent me a 10 dollar smart cover their cost. and he assured me the NEW ipad wont have it. so if it does i want a free macbook pro LOL!

*kidding about the free macbook pro*

21. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

wow nice all I want is an Ipad2 with no issues ... I need to talk to who you did.

22. Storrow macrumors regular

I got mine replaced about a week ago in burlington, ma. They said they only had one replacement left. I didnt bring the box with me because I didnt think id need it. He said he would hold it for me if I came back that day.

Bottom line is they are definitely in short supply

23. HiDEF, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011

HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

I just opened mines and notice some .bleedin but I purchased it at Radio Shack. So the question is, can I take it to the Genius Bar and have it looked at and possibly exchanged for another one or do I need to go thru Radio Shack??

24. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

25. macdude2 thread starter macrumors member

So they gave you a whole new unit instead of giving you one of the brown boxed ones? If so, did they treat it as an exchange?