Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
let's not go overboard. Despite me not being keen on the iPad, I know it will still sell in the millions. It just won't be enticing me to open MY wallet, or the wallets of others who don't want a gimped device. But to say it will fail, is just inviting argument from the pro-Apple crowd. Let's face facts: there will be plenty of customers for the iPad, despite some of us not happy with it's many drawbacks.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
let's not go overboard. Despite me not being keen on the iPad, I know it will still sell in the millions. It just won't be enticing me to open MY wallet, or the wallets of others who don't want a gimped device. But to say it will fail, is just inviting argument from the pro-Apple crowd. Let's face facts: there will be plenty of customers for the iPad, despite some of us not happy with it's many drawbacks.

I mostly agree with you. I think there is still much to be said about what the Ipad can do. I think the masses still need questions answered, The inital hype will be filled my rabid apple fans or people who just need the latest greatest.

I am really curious on how the general public picks this device up? :confused:

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
I mostly agree with you. I think there is still much to be said about what the Ipad can do. I think the masses still need questions answered, The inital hype will be filled my rabid apple fans or people who just need the latest greatest.

I am really curious on how the general public picks this device up? :confused:

Talk radio has been negative on the iPad. Mainstream media seems rather unimpressed, as well. Sometimes, people forget that not EVERY Apple product meets with great success like the iPhone and iPods. I think many people who are uninformed, will buy the iPad and wonder why their internet experience is so screwed up, because not everyone understands how pervasive Flash is on the 'net.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Talk radio has been negative on the iPad. Mainstream media seems rather unimpressed, as well. Sometimes, people forget that not EVERY Apple product meets with great success like the iPhone and iPods. I think many people who are uninformed, will buy the iPad and wonder why their internet experience is so screwed up, because not everyone understands how pervasive Flash is on the 'net.

I dont know, I am curious how the "uninformed" will take to the ipad. So far it has been getting nothing but negative publicity. I dont remember this from the media when the iphone was released. I dont remember the media destroying the Macbook Air or Apple TV.

But with this so many people seem underwhelmed... and I can help but wonder why??

I do believe that the media and apple hype machine cause alot of this distaste. Sometimes apples media machine works.. sometimes it doesnt i guess

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
I dont know, I am curious how the "uninformed" will take to the ipad. So far it has been getting nothing but negative publicity. I dont remember this from the media when the iphone was released. I dont remember the media destroying the Macbook Air or Apple TV.

But with this so many people seem underwhelmed... and I can help but wonder why??

I do believe that the media and apple hype machine cause alot of this distaste. Sometimes apples media machine works.. sometimes it doesnt i guess

I agree with everything you said. it will sell, though. If they can sell overpriced apple laptops, they'll sell this thing, especially with an entry price of just $500. I can't wait to see how the other tablets fair in the marketplace, later this year. I'm one of those who don't like the Kindle, yet it sells respectably. I don't like the low contrast screen, or the fact it is monochrome. That didn't stop it from selling, however. same thing will happen with the iPad--there will be plenty of buyers.

rittchard

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007

I think you have to take everything with a grain of salt. When you say "so many people" seem underwhelmed, keep in mind you're likely still getting the opinion of a small portion of the real buying public (I'm talking the public that has bought gazillions of iPods). Right now a lot of negativity is coming from the core fans (or haters), the forum goers and tech hounds that keep up with this stuff. The mass public I think may or may not even be aware of the iPad, or may have only a vague idea of its existence when it first appeared on the news.

Once Apple starts really selling units and showing commercials on TV, that's when the real test begins. Don't forget even the iPhone took some time to gain traction, as often it takes early adopters to get the ball rolling and get visibility of a device like this to the masses. To this day fans like me are still giving demos of the iPhone and influencing folk to try them out. I think I've influenced at least 4 or 5 people here at work who might otherwise have never been interested.

In other words, let's see where the iPad is in a year before we draw any conclusions.

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
I think you have to take everything with a grain of salt. When you say "so many people" seem underwhelmed, keep in mind you're likely still getting the opinion of a small portion of the real buying public (I'm talking the public that has bought gazillions of iPods). Right now a lot of negativity is coming from the core fans (or haters), the forum goers and tech hounds that keep up with this stuff. The mass public I think may or may not even be aware of the iPad, or may have only a vague idea of its existence when it first appeared on the news.

Once Apple starts really selling units and showing commercials on TV, that's when the real test begins. Don't forget even the iPhone took some time to gain traction, as often it takes early adopters to get the ball rolling and get visibility of a device like this to the masses. To this day fans like me are still giving demos of the iPhone and influencing folk to try them out. I think I've influenced at least 4 or 5 people here at work who might otherwise have never been interested.

In other words, let's see where the iPad is in a year before we draw any conclusions.

well said. we are in the middle of a period of conjecture!

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City

*Falls out of chair* :eek:

Who kidnapped dave!?!?! :)

yyy

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Can you elaborate? What facts do you base your claims on? What will convince the average user to spend these $500-$800 on the iPad rather than on a better PC/Mac/phone?

thejakill

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2005
Can you elaborate? What facts do you base your claims on? What will convince the average user to spend these $500-$800 on the iPad rather than on a better PC/Mac/phone?

You've lost the plot.

The ipad isn't going to sell as an alternative to anything. It's going to sell on its own merits because it is cool and people will have fun using it. It's a destination device. People will go to the apple store to buy it because they want one.

There aren't millions of people who are going to apple stores next month to maybe buy a laptop but who will see an ipad and buy it instead. There are millions of people who are anxiously waiting for next month so they can get their hands on an ipad. Mark my words.

yyy

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
You've lost the plot.

The ipad isn't going to sell as an alternative to anything. It's going to sell on its own merits because it is cool and people will have fun using it. It's a destination device. People will go to the apple store to buy it because they want one.

Macs are cool - how many people are buying them in compare to PCs? Flying first class is cool too - how many people prefer that over economy class? Being cool is not enough - you have to have the right value vs. price ratio, i.e. how much will one be willing to pay for the fun.

It doesn't matter if you buy it instead of another device or separately, eventually you're spending money on something else rather than on something you definitely need. You have to have good reasons to do so and beside reading books I barely see any reason to prefer the iPad over upgrading your computer or buying a new phone.

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
*Falls out of chair* :eek:

Who kidnapped dave!?!?! :)

LOL! Well, there is a fundamental difference between my opinion that I personally don't like what's missing from the iPad and that of someone who thinks that the ipad will be an abject failure. It would be utterly nutty to contend that Apple won't sell millions of the things. But that doesn't mean I want one. :)

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.

You are trying to trick me somehow....

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010

People in the media who've actually used the iPad have been overwhelmingly positive. That's what matters most at this point. Everyone else is just an armchair critic or fan.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
It'll be popular in the USA but I don't think so much over here in New Zealand. Why? Because all Apple's products are more expensive over here, and 3G is non-existent as far as I know. For these reasons resellers (there are no Apple stores in NZ) will not buy them in so if you want one you'll have to order it in from the US or Aussie specially (which is more expensive).

That's just the situation here in New Zealand, though it won't make much of a worldwide impact because New Zealand has only like... 4 Million people in it :D

It'll be very popular in almost every other first world country though:D

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
I think it'll start gaining momentum when developers start using the iPad to it's full potential for apps / games.

thejakill

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2005
Macs are cool - how many people are buying them in compare to PCs? Flying first class is cool too - how many people prefer that over economy class? Being cool is not enough - you have to have the right value vs. price ratio, i.e. how much will one be willing to pay for the fun.

It doesn't matter if you buy it instead of another device or separately, eventually you're spending money on something else rather than on something you definitely need. You have to have good reasons to do so and beside reading books I barely see any reason to prefer the iPad over upgrading your computer or buying a new phone.

you still don't get it. it's not about the price or some imagined checklist of "necessary" functions.

you assume that the people who buy apple products care about price. for the most part, they don't. they aren't going to buy an ipad to replace something, they are going to buy it BECAUSE THEY WANT IT.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004

I think people OVERestimate how much Flash content is out there. Other than video, there's precious little Flash content on the sites I visit. Almost none have Flash only sites. And of the video, the bigger sites are starting to move to non-Flash implementations, and others will follow sooner or later.

I couldn't care less about Flash games because, for the most part, they won't work well on a touchscreen based system with no keyboard. That's just not how they were designed to be played.

Non-game, non-video content is a small hunk of the pie, really, as most of it has HTML/JS based alternatives already in place on the same sites. THose that don't likely fall into the games-category of problems.

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
I think people OVERestimate how much Flash content is out there. Other than video, there's precious little Flash content on the sites I visit. Almost none have Flash only sites. And of the video, the bigger sites are starting to move to non-Flash implementations, and others will follow sooner or later.

I couldn't care less about Flash games because, for the most part, they won't work well on a touchscreen based system with no keyboard. That's just not how they were designed to be played.

Non-game, non-video content is a small hunk of the pie, really, as most of it has HTML/JS based alternatives already in place on the same sites. THose that don't likely fall into the games-category of problems.
speaking of keyboards, I want a REAL keyboard on something with a ~10" screen. :)

yyy

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
you still don't get it. it's not about the price or some imagined checklist of "necessary" functions.

you assume that the people who buy apple products care about price. for the most part, they don't. they aren't going to buy an ipad to replace something, they are going to buy it BECAUSE THEY WANT IT.

Now I get it, you're talking about the Apple fans and I'm talking about the rest of the people. I know fans would buy anything Apple releases and I think it's a shame they would because Apple can easily take advantage of that but there aren't millions of die-hard fans out there so it doesn't really matter.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
LOL! Well, there is a fundamental difference between my opinion that I personally don't like what's missing from the iPad and that of someone who thinks that the ipad will be an abject failure. It would be utterly nutty to contend that Apple won't sell millions of the things. But that doesn't mean I want one. :)

You know you would have saved yourself a lot of drama if you'd taken this stance from the beginning.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
It'll be popular in the USA but I don't think so much over here in New Zealand. Why? Because all Apple's products are more expensive over here, and 3G is non-existent as far as I know.

Telecom, Vodafone, and now TelestraClear offer 3G service in New Zealand, though their have been some notable service outages in the past couple months.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Telecom, Vodafone, and now TelestraClear offer 3G service in New Zealand, though their have been some notable service outages in the past couple months.

Lol have you seen how much the plans cost for the Vodafone iPhone 3G?? And ya can't get it prepaid, it has to be on a expensive plan lol:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.