For those using iPad chargers on 6 or 6+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snsking, Nov 7, 2014.

1. snsking, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014

snsking macrumors 6502

snsking

This thread is meant to be informative.

I figured this would be a good time to make this thread. I purchased a 12 watt charger in order to speed up charging times with my 6+.

However, I started having doubts of the legitimacy of this charger. So I took it upon myself to open it up, and behold:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, can anyone tell me if this charger is legitimate or not? It passes all the genuine checks on the outside. "Designed by Apple in California Assembled in China", and spelling is correct, all signs and logos are present, USB port looked normal.

This is a comparison of legit vs fake (Left is real, right is fake)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is where I get lost. The top of the circuit board on the one I have looks exactly like the genuine charger I have. Meanwhile the back of the circuit board looks like the fake charger that's above.

Also, I am not sure if the 5W and 12W are built differently. The images above I believe are from a 5W. I purchased a 12W.

There's a bunch of things that add, and yet, simple things like the USB serial aren't there.

Experts, chime in ;)

2. whyflyguy macrumors newbie

Stop wasting your time and just charge your phone.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

The charger's legitimacy is rather moot at this point. :D

It is easy enough for a counterfeiter to make their product look identical to the original. Thus while you can certainly identify the obvious counterfeits I don't believe there's any non-destructive way to truly verify legitimacy.

Best bet is to choose your source carefully. If you're buying from some ebay seller shipping from China for $3, it's probably not genuine.

4. l.i. bruce fan macrumors member

No to hijack the thread but from time to time I use the genuine Apple 10w charger that came with my iPad 3 (or the 12w charger I bought from the Apple store) to charge my 6+ and find that both charger and phone get pretty warm till the phone reaches 80% or so and begins trickle charging.

Anybody else?

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Normal.

Battery charging is not 100% efficient. Nor is converting 120-240VAC to 5VDC. Both operations lose some percentage of the power as heat.

6. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

It's not wasting time if you could potentially save your home from catching fire even if unlikely.

OP, I recently bought a 'genuine' 12w iPad Charger from eBay because I wanted to save some money. From exterior inspection the main unit seems legit along with the text, though I'm not 100% sure as I don't have a genuine one to compare it to. Here's a picture of the text part of the main unit. Would appreciate it if anyone else can confirm theirs is the same.

[​IMG]

One thing that did put me off though was that the plug connector part of the charger was wrapped in a freezer bag, so I'm not sure whether that part is fake and the main unit is genuine or neither are genuine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not prepared to open mines up so I can't help you on that part, but I guess the real way to find out is to open it up and check the internals like you did. But if you do that, it'll most likely render the charger useless :|

Btw, which one is genuine and which one is fake on the pictures you posted? I'm guessing the left side is genuine?

7. snsking thread starter macrumors 6502

snsking

"OP, I recently bought a 'genuine' 12w iPad Charger from eBay"

I too did the same. The reason I opened it is because I plan to buy 3 or 4 more, and if they turn out to be legit, the seller is offering them at a good price.

But given I had doubts of it's legitimacy I figure I would just open it up. Not only that, but if it is in fact fake, this has to be the best quality fake I've ever seen.

I figured I would also be helping out someone else in the future.

Btw, left is real, right is fake. I updated the OP.

8. snsking thread starter macrumors 6502

snsking

Looking at your pictures more, the international adapter definitely looks like it might be a knockoff. The charger itself looks identical to mine

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Looks the same as my genuine charger (bought direct at a US Apple Store):

[​IMG]

But, that isn't a guarantee that yours is genuine. If someone has the equipment to make plastic molds that look like Apple chargers, they can probably screen-print text that looks identical, too.

I think the bottom line is, if you want to save money, you should get a charger from someone hat spends money to be MFi certified so the internals are quality, even if their charger looks different. Rather than buy from someone who spent all their money making the outside look like a plausible Apple knockoff.

10. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

op yours looks more like the fake one than the real one.

11. snsking thread starter macrumors 6502

snsking

That's what I'm thinking. I want some experts to chime in

12. xreei, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014

xreei macrumors member

xreei

It's fake for sure, look at the amount of components lacking on the bottom.

The top of the circuit board also looks pretty different, there's a big diode on the bottom with a single electrolytic capacitor, that doesn't exist on the real one. Capacitors are important for filtering, lesser capacitors generally mean a less clean output, which would be expected of a fake one when it comes down to manufacturing it as cheap as possible.

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

This power adapter and the plug are fake. The font is wrong on the adapter and the plug has obvious issues.

Have a look at the one above - the font is heavier and more consistent.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

So... you ripped the thing apart to the point that it now looks unusable. Forgive me for sounding cynical, but does it matter if it's legit at this point? You can't use it, and you obviously can't tell a legit from a fake by just looking at the outside case.

15. snsking thread starter macrumors 6502

snsking

I made it with the purpose of it also being educational. The outside looks as good as any genuine charger out there.

If it's indeed fake, it just goes to show how damn good these knock offs are getting.

I also noticed that there is no tear down of a 12W USB Charger anywhere on the internet. Only the 5W

Figured I'd be the best to take it apart and compare it

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

That's fair. I guess my point is, even if we learn something from this, we won't know too much at all, other than you should buy from Apple or a certified Apple retailer; only way to be sure it seems.

17. shadowarachh macrumors member

you open that thing with a hammer and your teeth?

18. Ev0d3vil macrumors 6502

If you bought it from an apple store you shouldn't worry at all.

19. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Looks like the people in China who make the real thing for Apple, are also making the knock offs.

20. deeddawg macrumors 604

21. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

Are you telling me that you'll spend up to $1000 on a phone but won't spend $20 on a genuine charger from Apple? Stupid and sad! Get your priorities straight.

22. ihonda macrumors 68000

go buy a real charger and compare the weights I've ordered like 10 "genuine" apple chargers from eBay and they are way less heavy then ones from target/apple store. almost ALL of ebay are knockoff unless your paying close to retail.

23. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Title of this post is misleading. I thought you were testing the legitimacy of whether it charged the iPhone 6 faster. I don't care about whether yours is a knockoff or not.

24. snsking thread starter macrumors 6502

snsking

That article was perfect. I already got my refund for the charger so no worries.

The knockoffs are getting so damn impressive. Its ridiculous.

----------

Don't you think the increase in wattage would definitely have an affect on how fast your iPhone 6 charges?... :eek:

----------

That is a good point. That is the very reason that I thought it was legitimate, the price was retail.

----------

Hammer+Drill.

----------

I didn't mention anywhere I spent/would spend 1,000 on my phone. Assuming is even stupider.

25. cababah macrumors 68000

That's what click-bait trolls do...they feed off attention.