For Those "WAITING FOR FIX"...WHY?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sean4123, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

I simply don't understand why people are saying that they are going to wait for the iPhone 4's "issues" to be fixed before upgrading to the iPhone 4.

Do you HONESTLY think that IF Apple dramatically fixes the iPhone 4, whether it be through hardware or software, that CAN'T be applied to the current batch, that Apple WON'T let the early adopters swap out the old iPhone 4's? Apple is known for its excellent customer service, and I just don't see Apple denying its customers the option to swap out a problem phone for one that works in ANY situation.

How many times have customers on this board had issues with their 3G's or 3GS's and had Apple immediately swap out the old phone for a new or refurbished one MULTIPLE times? If you think the iphone 4 will be any different you are wrong.

Coming from someone that feels his iphone is fine (although I have a case on it and have ALWAYS used cases) i'm not worried about NOT being taken care of by Apple if there is an issue.

2. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

There is no fix, it's all smoke and mirrors hype.

3. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Because some people don't want to deal with the problems until they're fixed. If I wasn't getting a case, I wouldn't be able to afford to have my phone drop calls because I want to have it in my left hand (which I often do).

I ordered my phone, I'm just worried about the proximity sensor, but being cautious will prevent any real trouble with that.

4. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Because people are deluding themselves into thinking the software update will fix the reception issues. Apple has been about as clear as they can be that the upcoming software fix does nothing regarding the reception issue. They have stated it will simply show fewer bars although the bars will be bigger.

People refuse to believe that there will be no fix. What you see now is what you get. No reason to wait. Either like it and buy it, or you don't. There are very good viable alternatives now available, unlike in prior years. At least shop around and make informed decisions. Not blindly hoping for miracle fixes which can't come.

5. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Some just aren't in a rush and still have a fully functioning phone that serves their needs. Me? I had to have it the first day. :p

6. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

So did you actually drop calls when you had your phone in your left hand?

7. Sean4123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not having any proximity sensor issues. I was going to make a thread asking people to test out theirs by making a call and just using their finger to see if the screen goes black when it is about 2 inches away from the sensor. Mine goes black instantly.

8. Sean4123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree. Sadly, I think this reception issue is going to be part of the game until the iPhone 5 comes out. The biggest frustration I think i'm having, however, is that I have friends out there that use cases on their current iPhones, but refuse to get the new iphone 4 until the issues are fixed! There won't be an issue if you use a case!

I understand where people are coming from that don't use cases, but to be honest, I feel it is a necessity with this model. It is made out of glass, and the form factor isn't very comfortable in the hand without a case. Just my opinion though.

9. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I'm not sure why people think there will be a fix when it's a hardware problem. This is why Apple has said that the upcoming update will not fix the reception problems.

The only way for Apple to fix this would be to recall every single 4 sold and that will never happen.

My bumper just got delivered today and my death grip problem is gone. :)

10. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

You dont have to make a call to achive that, just use the visual voice mail to test the proximity sensor.

11. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

you must have missed the article that tested out the actual reception of iPhone 4 that shows the reception with or without case, is still performing below 3GS.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/2

12. Sean4123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya and you must have missed this news article on this very site

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/26/iphone-4-boosts-upload-speeds-significantly/

I can find more articles too if you want.

I just read you're article you posted. Did you miss this? :

The Antenna is Improved
    From my day of testing, I've determined that the iPhone 4 performs much better than the 3GS in situations where signal is very low, at -113 dBm (1 bar). Previously, dropping this low all but guaranteed that calls would drop, fail to be placed, and data would no longer be transacted at all. I can honestly say that I've never held onto so many calls and data simultaneously on 1 bar at -113 dBm as I have with the iPhone 4, so it's readily apparent that the new baseband hardware is much more sensitive compared to what was in the 3GS. The difference is that reception is massively better on the iPhone 4 in actual use.

With my bumper case on, I made it further into dead zones than ever before, and into marginal areas that would always drop calls without any problems at all. It's amazing really to experience the difference in sensitivity the iPhone 4 brings compared to the 3GS, and issues from holding the phone aside, reception is absolutely definitely improved. I felt like I was going places no iPhone had ever gone before. There's no doubt in my mind this iPhone gets the best cellular reception yet, even though measured signal is lower than the 3GS.

13. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

dude, are you one of those guys that like to compare X with Y?

the article I cited is very accurate in depicting the reception issue with iPhone as real and that bumper helps, but the reception is still worse than 3GS.

the article also cited that iPhone 4 was made to have better reception and bandwidth (in your irrelevant reference), but obviously the shortcoming of the design rendered it almost pointless.

edit: let me bold the key phrases, so you can actually see them...

14. Sean4123 thread starter macrumors 6502

From your article:

"The difference is that reception is massively better on the iPhone 4 in actual use."

goodbye.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I think the reception issues won't change until next year's iPhone.

But I think it's reasonable to think that the proximity sensors might be slightly improved in future iPhone 4 production runs. Perhaps they'll make their hole a little bigger or move them closer to the surface. Or something. I dunno, but I see that as a lot more likely than anything with the reception changing.

Point is, there could likely be subtle refinements of the iPhone 4 in the next month or two. But nothing major, you're right about that. But even so, waiting until late Auguest to buy might have some advantage.

16. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Maybe I'm missing something but the article you posted seems to say the IP4 had better reception than the 3GS.

"The Antenna is Improved

From my day of testing, I've determined that the iPhone 4 performs much better than the 3GS in situations where signal is very low, at -113 dBm (1 bar). Previously, dropping this low all but guaranteed that calls would drop, fail to be placed, and data would no longer be transacted at all. I can honestly say that I've never held onto so many calls and data simultaneously on 1 bar at -113 dBm as I have with the iPhone 4, so it's readily apparent that the new baseband hardware is much more sensitive compared to what was in the 3GS. The difference is that reception is massively better on the iPhone 4 in actual use.

With my bumper case on, I made it further into dead zones than ever before, and into marginal areas that would always drop calls without any problems at all. It's amazing really to experience the difference in sensitivity the iPhone 4 brings compared to the 3GS, and issues from holding the phone aside, reception is absolutely definitely improved. I felt like I was going places no iPhone had ever gone before. There's no doubt in my mind this iPhone gets the best cellular reception yet, even though measured signal is lower than the 3GS."

17. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

dude what? I guess you conceded that you made no point in suggesting that reception issue doesn't exist in iPhone 4.

last but not least, I'll leave you the chart, in case you still don't get it:

[​IMG]

18. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

ya you are, and you should read it again.

19. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

What am I missing on this?

"There's no doubt in my mind this iPhone gets the best cellular reception yet, even though measured signal is lower than the 3GS."

How is that saying the 3GS gets better reception?

20. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

"Buy a phone for what it is, not what it could be."

The iPhone has a number of problems, most, if not all, will most likely be corrected at some point. But there's no guarantee that they will be, ever. The only one that bit me was the antenna issue and a case corrected it so I saw no reason to return it when, otherwise, it's a nice phone and definitely works better than any previous iPhone in that it doesn't drop calls where before, for two years, I was unable to hold a call longer than 5 minutes with a 3G or 3GS. Some people don't want a case on principal, just don't want a case or they don't want to risk getting a lemon in general. Some don't trust Apple any more than any other huge, for-profit corporation. Some, like myself, got burned by a lemon before and learned that phrase I have up top in bold back then and don't see this as being any different. Later models will undoubted have software and hardware corrections and you won't need a case, you won't need to mash the thing against your face and so on. So they wait. And I don't blame them, it's their money, not Apple's. I wish I had that kind of patience.

21. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

I can't teach you reading comprehension in few sentences nor do I have the time to.

perhaps you can refer to the chart above, which shows that iPhone 4 has less reception than its counter-part.

22. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Again that isn't what is said:

"There's no doubt in my mind this iPhone gets the best cellular reception yet, even though measured signal is lower than the 3GS."

Explain how they say the iPhone gets the best cellular reception yet you say they are not saying that?

23. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Even better if you quoted the whole paragraph:

24. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Folks keep mentioning the excellent Anandtech review and read what they want out of it. Let me extract some pertinent sections...
    With my bumper case on...There's no doubt in my mind this iPhone gets the best cellular reception yet, even though measured signal is lower than the 3GS.
    At the end of the day, Apple should add an insulative coating to the stainless steel band, or subsidize bumper cases. It's that simple.​
    And my favorite from the final words,
    The main downside to the iPhone 4 is the obvious lapse in Apple's engineering judgment. The fact that Apple didn't have the foresight to coat the stainless steel antenna band with even a fraction of an ounce worth of non-conductive material either tells us that Apple doesn't care or that it simply doesn't test thoroughly enough... At the bare minimum Apple should give away its bumper case with every iPhone 4 sold. The best scenario is for Apple to coat the antenna and replace all existing phones with a revised model.The ideal situation is very costly for Apple but it is the right thing to do. Plus it's not like Apple doesn't have the resources to take care of its customers.​

Bottom line...
    IF you do not touch the left side of the phone with your bare hands, then yes, it has excellent reception.
    IF you DO touch the left side of the phone and worse, bridge between the antennas, reception drops much more than it should.
    It is a design defect. It cannot be fixed in software.
    It does NOT affect everyone because
    - they don't touch the phone there or
    - they use it in a strong signal area

In my case, I live in a weak signal area and that is the normal way I hold any smartphone. So it is a huge deal for me. YMMV.

25. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It shows the numbers are lower. But the tester came to the conclusion that the i4 performed better at lower numbers than the 3GS did with higher numbers.

So the quesion is: How do you define "reception?" As a number or a measurement of performance?

You've each chosen a different definition.