for those who only use smartcover

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aleni, Jun 29, 2011.

1. aleni macrumors 68020

i think smart cover is cool, doesn't make the iPad thick, but **** happened today, i accidentaly dropped my iPad 2 and now it has a bad dent at the corner of the back. man, i hate this. a nice sleek looking iPad 2 with a noticable dent. arghhhh!!!

wish i had put a full body protection from day one.

who got only the smart cover and dented it?

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

My HR director at my office did the same. She now has a Belkin snap case on it. You may want to look into insurance in case it happens again. I just read the SquareTrade is offering 2 years of insurance for 99 bucks.

3. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have the smart cover & a ColcaSac sleeve. I carried it without the sleeve one time only to drop it & make a small dent in the top corner. It sucks, but at least something worse didn't happen.

I'm thinking about giving up my Smart Cover after that incident for better protection. I just hate to part with it because the light pink looks soooo good with the white iPad. We shall see.

4. MuggleReviewer macrumors member

MuggleReviewer

I only have the smart cover and have never had a problem. The trick is not dropping it:D

5. henchman macrumors 6502a

I have said this before here.
    It's not a matter of IF you drop it.
    It's a matter of when.

6. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

I think that would hold much more true to a phone than a tablet.

I've never dropped my iPad 1 or iPad 2.

7. Dimmick macrumors member

Dimmick

Smart cover only, and I've dropped it. (*Actually the worse drop wasn't so much a drop as it just fell off the nightstand. Was dumb and put it on top of a stack of about 6 books. The book cover and iPad back didn't provide much friction and the small slope provided by the stacked books slowly pushed the iPad off. Scared the wife and I out of sleep.) Thankfully no dents or scratches.

I do carry it in a netbook sleeve when I travel, but the selling point of the iPad 2 for me was the contour design. I don't want to go and mess with that by putting a big case on it.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

"As Advertised"

Sorry that your iPad is all dented up; that really sucks. Maybe you could get lucky and get a nice sales rep who's having a good day to help you out?

Also...

...not to be a jerk, but I guess the real question is, "What did you think would happen?" The thing is, I've seen loads of negative reviews on the smart covers because they "Didn't provide enough protection."

My only response is an exasperated, "Seriously?!" Do people really think that a magnetic spine and a piece of polyurethane that only covers the screen is going to protect the whole hunk of aluminum? Nowhere is that advertised, and furthermore, it doesn't really make sense.

"The problem with common sense, is that it's not so common."
    will

9. jbud72 macrumors member

Seriously. I cannot fathom how so many people drop their iPads or other tablets. Phones I can understand. My iPad travels in my backpack when I need to take it somewhere and is used on a desk, bed, or couch. It's not like a phone that gets whipped out 50 times daily at any random location. Smart cover is perfect.

10. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Maybe for you. I've never dropped my iPad1 or iPad2 in the 1+ years of ownership.

Having said that, I'm using the smartcover plus a cheap clear TPU smartcover-compatible cover for the back... still very slim and protected.

11. aneftp macrumors 68040

I am super careful with all my electronics including my iphone and ipad. My iphone and other Android phones are always in mint, no scratches condition.

However like the other poster said with the smart cover on the iPad, it's not if you drop you ipad, it's just a matter of when.

I have a smart cover and it's "nice" and all that. But most people would be better off not using a smart cover at all. Because sometimes you are in a rush and don't think about it, but just grab the iPad off the counter/table and things start to slip and all you are left is holding the smart cover and the magnet snapping off the ipad.

You've seen multiple postings all over these forums about the smart cover.

While I think the Apple iPhone "bumpers" is a great creation, the smart cover has a lot to be desire in terms of protecting the ipad. I know it's not marketed as a protective accessory but a lot of people think the smart cover can also protect their ipad.

That being said, I almost dropped my ipad once on the cermatic tile in the home. Almost being the key word. It was like slow motion. While grabbing the ipad, I felt the smart cover magnet slipping and the ipad disconnecting. It was maybe 2-3 inches detached and starting to fall and I quickly grabbed the ipad with my other hand and caught it. Such a close call.

12. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

I would post that I've never dropped my iPad, or iPad2, or iPhone3 or iPhone4, but as soon as I posted that I would probably suffer a drop.

So I won't post that!

Seriously though, I think some personalities are very anal (myself included), and are ALWAYS very careful when handling any electronics, and others who are not. You should get the level of protection that matches your own lifestyle and habits, and then hope for the best.

13. GP_1 macrumors regular

I only use the smart cover & no dents for me!

14. michaelz macrumors regular

There will be no sleek looking iPad2 with a full body cover :)

15. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I use just the smartcover (Powder blue) but I've just ordered the Zagg LeatherSkin (in Powder Blue as well) for the back...:)

16. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

It's like me complaining that my seatbelt sucks because my car door got a big dent in it. The smart cover only provides some protection for the screen...this should be plainly obvious. If that's not what you want, buy something else.

17. charlyee macrumors 6502

charlyee

I only have the smart cover and fortunately have not dinged it yet. I do think the iPad2 too is "tougher" than my MacBook Air or at least it feels like the MBA needs to be babied more.
    D

18. taipan61 macrumors 6502

i find that i just baby it more, possibly by design or that it's held in a different manner than a laptop
    but it's babied

19. charlyee macrumors 6502

charlyee

I baby mine as well but the MBA more, maybe I think of the hinge as a weak point and the glass screen in the iPad seems quite sturdy.

20. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Smart cover and a clear snap-on smart cover-compliant back I got on Amazon for pretty cheap. I'm more concerned about scratching the back then dropping it. I have never dropped my phone or iPad.

21. macrat macrumors regular

22. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I baby mine all the time. I think my ability to baby it so well, though, is helped by the fact that since I got my MBP, I barely use it. Kind of the reverse of what I usually hear, but true.

23. geenosr macrumors regular

geenosr

smart cover plus back cover

I was sold on the "coolness" of the smart cover at the introduction event, and knew I wanted one for my ipad 2. I struggled with deciding on a case option for the back to go with the smart cover, and did a lot of research on the options out there. I liked the red smart cover but didn't like the price, so I looked on ebay for knock-offs. I found a red smart cover + red back (poly) that matched for $20.00 and of course free shipping. I was skeptical about the quality, but I have to say, it's pretty cool. The red matches the red on the apple brand, and even though the 'leather' is not the same grade the apple item, you can't tell unless you put them side by side. I would encourage anyone who wants the smart cover and a back cover to go look for yourself----you won't be sorry unless you have unlimited $$$ to buy the higher priced items.

Oh yeah, I don't make a habit of dropping iphones and ipads, but it's going to happen sooner or later. I feel better with the cover which will handle most of the 'small drops' that will occur more often.

24. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

There are a ton of silicone or hard plastic back cases to be had on Amazon for under $10, that work with the smart cover. There's really no excuse not to have something on the back.

That said, all of these cases provide great protection from scratches, but do little in the event of a serious drop. Only the owner can protect against those.