For Those who Picked Up New 2011 Macbook... Gloss or Anti-Glare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Whitelightning, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Whitelightning, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

Whitelightning macrumors regular

For Those who Picked Up New 2011 Macbook... Gloss or Anti-Glare? Please note if you play games or watch high def movies! :)

2. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Anti-glare for me.

3. cambrai macrumors newbie

Had a good look at both

Went for Anti Glare in Hi Res

The guy who served me was working part time but his main job was photography, he gave me a good demo on the difference in realism when you look at Hi Res photos.

Sold it to me to be honest and thats me upgrading from a Glossy

4. Whitelightning thread starter macrumors regular

So are you working in graphics yourself cambrai? Is realism/picture quality better on anti-glare?

5. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

What is the maximum screen resolution for 15' 2ghz, with antiglare, and with glossy?

6. darkeartg macrumors regular

Anti-glare! max resolution i believe is 1680.1050

7. articcine macrumors regular

8. MrFlynn macrumors member

I went with Anti-Glare. We have phosphorescent overheads at work.

9. mashsensor macrumors member

gloss mbp 13 , i was never a fan of matte display.

10. thirty7alpha macrumors member

thirty7alpha

11. MaxMike macrumors 6502

I went with the standard res glossy. Already loving it :D

12. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

all they had at my store was the top end 15inch... so i decided heck with it and bought it ! haha. (2.3ghz high res anti glare!)

13. ldellx3 macrumors 6502

so what do you guys think of the new pro? videos?

14. Apfelweie macrumors newbie

There's only one way for me, all anti-glare: I want to see what's ON the screen, not behind me!
    On top it is solo much less tiring on the eyes (same for my iPad, bought 3 screen protector/anti-glare until I was satisfied and able to use it outside) :apple:

15. kfscoll, Feb 24, 2011

kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Damn, I just ordered that exact configuration thinking the 2.3GHz was only a CTO option! I guess there's a chance I could've picked it up locally, oh well.

**UPDATE** - Just called my local Apple Store (Cincinnati, OH) and they don't have 15" anti-glare MBPs in stock. So anyone in the Cincy area, you'll have to order one online if you want anti-glare.

16. 7even macrumors 6502a

I've got an older unibody with the anti-glare screen, and I highly recommend that if you want to see your screen and not what's behind you.

17. mrfoof82, Feb 24, 2011

mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

Base 15" with Hi-Res Glossy.

I'm a developer. Anti-glare/matte doesn't help me see code better, and is more annoying to clean.

The cleaning thing is an issue. When you have people gather around you often enough, you're bound to end up with specks of spittle on the display. Or fingerprints. It's infinitely easier to clean my new 27" LED Cinema Display than it was to clean my 23" aluminum HD Cinema Display.

Besides, backlighting is so ridiculous nowadays glare is almost never an issue, even in situations where I can't control the lighting. The only time where it starts to become an issue is when I'm looking at something very dark, and have lights directly behind me. For me, this is about never. At home, it's never an issue because the environment is designed for the task (just as I don't have lights in front of my television, but to the side or above).

-----

Also bought 8GB of memory from Crucial and a 500GB Momentus XT. Adding in deferred software upgrades, pentalobe driver, and next-day shipping wherever possible I plunked down about $2600 today.

Work was surprised. I've been saddled with a memory-strapped brick, and I got approval to use a laptop of my own at work if I were to purchase it. They never expected me to actually buy one to just use at work. Heh heh -- I meant what I said. Sick of lugging around an 8 pound cracked, plastic beast.

18. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

I went with hi-res glossy. My current MBP is glossy and I've never found reflections to be too bad.

19. thirty7alpha macrumors member

thirty7alpha

Preach on, brother!! Where did you pick up the RAM and pentalobe driver?

20. Dtp8513 macrumors regular

21. andrewface macrumors regular

andrewface

Im torn between the two... I hope to check them out side by side at the :apple: store before i buy... Love the glossys tho...matte seems like they may look dull

22. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I got the 17" so it wasnt much to upgrade. Got the anti-glare for sure!

23. 7even macrumors 6502a

They don't look dull at all

24. andrewface macrumors regular

andrewface

I guess I meant in comparison to the glossy... Just checked out both side by side and glossy wins... The colours are that much more vibrant and the black border makes the laptop look that much more sexy

25. weemanpow3 macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

I have always had an glossy screen on my laptops and said I would never get one with a matte screen. I decided on getting the antiglare and so far I am impressed. I was comparing the screens at Apple and wasn't impressed by the glossy high res so I bought the antiglare screen mac. In the end, It's all a personal preference.