For those who use PPC format

10th Wonder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Boston, Ma... Missing 757
You can look at my specs in my signature, but i was wondering if we have the translucent menu bar. I've heard some do and don't but I wanted to hear from the people from macrumors. I know some hate it and such but I really sorta do like the touch it brings to OSX.

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
I assume you mean the translucent menu bar in Leopard, no?

I did an "upgrade" install on a G4 Powerbook (1 Ghz, 2GB RAM0 and I do indeed have the translucent menu bar -and the 3-d dock if that's a concern.

In fact, I don't think i've noticed any eye candy missing really.

10th Wonder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Boston, Ma... Missing 757
I assume you mean the translucent menu bar in Leopard, no?

I did an "upgrade" install on a G4 Powerbook (1 Ghz, 2GB RAM0 and I do indeed have the translucent menu bar -and the 3-d dock if that's a concern.

In fact, I don't think i've noticed any eye candy missing really.
Thanks, telling me that it works. I was worried when i finally upgraded it wouldn't have it there or not.

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
Well my 1.2GHz Titanium Powerbook does not have the transparent menu bar or time machine effects. It has a Radeon Mobility Pro 9000 with 64MB VRAM and 768MB system RAM.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
It also depends on the desktop picture also, I think they said it shuts off transparency for dark desktops.

I'm running the B&W pictures, and it is shut off and an Intel Mac. And turns back on when I change to another lighter picture.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I've heard reports that the video card in the 12"PBs (NVIDIA 5200) does not support the translucent menu bar.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I have a 1.5GHz 12" PB with 1.25GB and I get NO translucent menu bar.

This is rather moronic as I can see every other effect including the blurring translucency of the contextual menus (right click) which is the same as the menu bar. All that with no lagging, it's smooth as butter.

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
It also depends on the desktop picture also, I think they said it shuts off transparency for dark desktops.

I'm running the B&W pictures, and it is shut off and an Intel Mac. And turns back on when I change to another lighter picture.
*Maybe* on some, have not read that. But I am using the default one from Apple. Solid as a rock. My friends iMac also has the default and its transparent.

Also, I dont think it depends on the picture, what if you have them changing every so many seconds, minutes, etc.. That would be a UI annoyance if the bar kept changing.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
*Maybe* on some, have not read that. But I am using the default one from Apple. Solid as a rock. My friends iMac also has the default and its transparent.
It could just be there is a limit to how dark the menu bar gets. I haven't played with the picts much to test it. So I can see how it looks like it gets shut off.

otis123

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
There has to be a way to force it. My PowerBook is definitely more powerful than your iBook otis123
that could be, but i think its your GPU, dont you have a Nvidia 5200 go, or somthing along that? i think my ATI 9550, has better core image support, a have i 5200 in a old dell, it a weird card...

otis123

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I have a translucent menu bar on my intel iMac but not on my iBook 1.2Ghz and both are using the default background. Hmmmm....
i think my GPU just made the cut for the eye candy, my ibook is the last rev they made (most likely one of the last out of the factory too :))

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
i think my GPU just made the cut for the eye candy, my ibook is the last rev they made (most likely one of the last out of the factory too :))
The weird thing is that the contextual menu (right click or ctrl+click) blurs what's under it just like the menu bar but I get no menu bar goodness. I highly doubt my Nvidia 5200 is the problem.

otis123

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
The weird thing is that the contextual menu (right click or ctrl+click) blurs what's under it just like the menu bar but I get no menu bar goodness. I highly doubt my Nvidia 5200 is the problem.
i dont know what your problem could be... but a 5200 in a laptop still seems odd to me

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
i dont know what your problem could be... but a 5200 in a laptop still seems odd to me
It's officially the GeForce FX Go5200.

The strange thing is that on some people 12" PB's (InsanelyMac forums) with the same specs they have the transparent menu bar. Then others with Mac mini's report it's opaque and then suddenly goes transparent after a reboot. Something screwy is going on.

otis123

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
It's officially the GeForce FX Go5200.

The strange thing is that on some people 12" PB's (InsanelyMac forums) with the same specs they have the transparent menu bar. Then others with Mac mini's report it's opaque and then suddenly goes transparent after a reboot. Something screwy is going on.
file a bug report, and wait for 10.5.1

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
You can look at my specs in my signature, but i was wondering if we have the translucent menu bar. I've heard some do and don't but I wanted to hear from the people from macrumors. I know some hate it and such but I really sorta do like the touch it brings to OSX.
As you can see I have very similar machine.

1.5 GHZ Powerbook G4 12-inch, 1.25 GB of memory, and I have no menu bar.

It's the video card in our machine. Something about it.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
You'll only get the translucent menu bar if your GPU supports Core Image because that's what's used to make it translucent.

See Ars review here.

To check if your GPU does support Core Image, check System Profiler:

Attachments

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.