For those who uses 4.7" screen or less and looking to buy the iphone 8

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LoveToMacRumors, Mar 29, 2017.

1. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

would you still buy it if it had the form factor of the iphone 7 Plus?

I'm asking this because the S8 came out and it's much bigger than the S7, which is scary because i wouldn't be able to use the s8 one handed and it would be a problem if the iphone 8 also have this kind of form.

2. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

well all rumours point to a 5.8 inch iphone 8 in a 4.7 form factor

3. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Is the S8 actually a great deal bigger than the S7, or is it just that the lack of bezel allows for a much bigger display in a similar area? I think that the latter is what most people are hoping for/expecting for the "iPhone 8".

4. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

The S8 is .3 inches (7.6mm) taller and .2 inches (5mm) wider than the S7. So nothing too significant really. I doubt those small increases would affect one handed usability.

5. CYKBC macrumors 6502

6. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Thanks for listing the dimensions. I think wider would be more of an issue than taller in some cases. But I agree the changes are likely minimal enough to cause an issue holding the S8, but then again, I have not held it to be sure.

7. recoil80 macrumors 68000

What I want is an iPhone with the form factor of my 6s with tiny bezels so it can have a display size similar to the plus model.
    I'm craving for bigger display and more battery life but the plus model is just too big. So if iPhone 8 has the same form factor as 7+ I'm not going to buy it, but if they're going to make it bezel free I think it will be more close to the 7 form factor, since a bezel free version of the plus would have a giant display

8. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I think the iPhone 8 will likely have a 4.7 inch/5.5 inch LED iPhone, with a 5.8 inch edge to edge OLED display. After having owning the 6s+/7+, I don't think I could ever go back to a smaller iPhone after experiencing the larger battery and 1080 P display.

I think the largest drawback for some with iPhone plus models, is certainly the size.

9. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

Same here. 5.5" screen is the minimum for me now. I'd have to see what the actual feature sets look like, but if the OLED one has less than 5.5" of usable screen space as rumoured I'd possibly still go for the 5.5" LED variant (7S Plus or whatever they end up calling it).

10. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

It's crazy that they managed to get that much more screen space in that form factor!

The ball's in your court, Apple...

11. Superrjamz54 macrumors 6502

Superrjamz54

LG did that with the G6 first. Its not that remarkable. All you have to do is remove the hardware buttons.

12. bufffilm, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Regarding the iPhone edition, I will watch the presentation and consider the reviews before deciding.

I initially thought it would be too big for me...and it may well still be, but I will listen and consider.

One-handed use is very important to me, price is only secondary. Ideally, I would have picked a shrunk-down 4.7" display w/minimal bezels instead of cramming the largest display in the same form-factor size.

As for the S8, Samsung blew it by not making it smaller.

Who else besides Apple's audience has the pockets to buy flagship phones every year (or every other year)?

13. wolfedude88 macrumors 6502

wolfedude88

Actually it is. Plenty of android phones don't have a physical home button and still have way bigger bezels.

Samsung has smaller bezels than the iPhone while still having a home button.

It takes a lot of work I'm sure, can't wait to see what apple has this fall

14. konicky macrumors member

It's hard to believe that Apple will stick with the same form factor for the regular 7S and 7S plus with Galaxy S8 and LG G6 ( + lots of other phones between now and October ) showing the way forward but it is Apple I suppose !!

15. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I'm never going back to a phone smaller than the iPhone Plus.

16. its Dale macrumors 6502

im buying the iphone 8 regardless. having this iphone 7 from an iphone 6 got old pretty fast. i need something different!

17. jshtroutman macrumors regular

jshtroutman

I don't want anything bigger than the iPhone 7. Im kinda thinking of going smaller in the future if apple releases a new 4 inch screen sized phone.

18. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

I am nearly a 100% Apple person, regarding my electronics. However, as I was reading about the S8 & S8 Plus, I was thinking the same. I'm thinking about getting one as my backup phone; OK, I probably won't, but it's enticing.

19. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

going to 5.1 inches would be hard but if it has OLED/wireless charging then i would still get it as iphone is part of my daily devices now.

Still have hope that we will have full access to 5.8 inch screen for certain tasks like videos.

20. edfoo macrumors regular

I hope you were only joking with this statement, otherwise you will sound like a douche.

21. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

KeanosMagicHat

This is what I'm hoping for.

I think my hands are average sized for a man and I can only just hit the corners with the current 4.7" form factor when using one handed & even then it requires a grip adjustment.

I wouldn't want to go any larger, as one handed use would then be impossible for me.

22. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

Id prefer if apple just removed the bezels from the 7 and kept the 4.7 inch display. Why not reduce the overall size wjile still keeping 4.7?

23. edfoo macrumors regular

Is it even possible? I have an iPhone 6 now, to fit a 5.8 inch screen on the front facade, it will basically take up almost 100% surface area.

24. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

well bare in mind the 6.2 S8 plus is the same size as the 5.5 7 plus.

25. edfoo macrumors regular

Will that be like the Samsung S8, where to bottom portion of the screen is reserved for the virtual Home button, so the actually usable screen area for the icons and apps is only 4.0 to 4.2 inch?