For those with the new Mac Pros...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by theBigD23, Aug 24, 2010.

1. theBigD23 macrumors 6502a

A couple of questions.

1. How noisy is the 5770? 5870? compared to the Nvidia GT 120. I'm not concerned about under heavy use, just under idle conditions. If you've owned a 2008 Mac Pro, how does the noise compare?

2. What exact model is the 1 TB drive with 32 MB of cache? I'd like to upgrade my hard drive and was wondering which ones it is so I can just order the exact one from New Egg.

Thanks!

2. ghostchild macrumors 6502

ghostchild

i can sleep with the computer next to me turned on no problems :)

3. sboerup macrumors 6502

Considering the GT120 has no fan, it's not going to make any noise, so anything with a fan will. I have a 4870 and it is practically silent at idle.

As for the HD it's a WD Black.

4. davidp158 macrumors member

I can't comment on how the video card noise levels compare, but hopefully someone here will chime in.

Desmo1098 posted photos of his new 6-core at this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=999906

From the photos of the hard drive, it appears to be a WD1001FALS ($88 @ Newegg).
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

FWIW, although Newegg has lower prices than OWC, be aware that they do not pack hard drives with much, if any, care. I bought 4 drives from OWC, which came in very sturdy, heavy cardboard boxes, packed with foam, and shipped in a larger box with appropriate bubble wrap. I bought a single drive from Newegg, along with some other products. The drive from Newegg was not in any sort of packaging, and had minimal bubble pack wrapped around it. The drive and other contents of the shipping box had a single piece of bunched up craft paper as their only padding. When I received the box, it was badly dented (could have been the courier's fault) and the hard drive was sliding around in the bottom of the box with half its bubble wrap off. I would buy more durable products from Newegg, but I won't buy another hard drive from them.

5. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

Mine has?

6. goMac macrumors 603

Yeah, I'm not sure why this keeps getting repeated. The GT120 has a very decently sized fan, almost the same size as the 8800's fan.

7. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

There's actually quite a noise from the computer too. Not from that fan. I think the HD... more of a variable hum

8. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

9. dissolve macrumors 6502a

This is my first MP so I can't compare to other models, but I've got the 5870 and I barely hear anything at idle. Leaning up right against it, there's a slight fan whir. Ambient noise from an open window completely drowns out anything coming from the machine.

10. strausd macrumors 68030

Mine seems to be very quiet, even with a 5870 and 2 Caviar Blacks.

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

5770 is fairly quiet. My 2.8 overall is maybe a whisper. OEM drive is WD Caviar Black -- quite impressed w/ that one.

12. theBigD23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the help. After reading on barefeats article that the MDPs do not work, it completely killed this video card. Very disappointed. It looks like to get faster speeds I may have to get the 4870.
    Can two 4870s run together to run two Apple LEDs?

13. goMac macrumors 603

No, running additional GT 120's is the only way to run additional MDP displays.

Fortunately the GT 120's do not consume power connectors. It's better to run your second display off a different card anyway, and the GT 120 isn't a horrible performer for what it is.

14. theBigD23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

How frustrating. I was hoping that I could use the 5770. I hope someone figures it out. The GT 120 is a nice card for running the displays, but the Expose issue (which I thought was fixed, but keeps coming back) is annoying me. I was really hoping to get the 5770 and run two displays off of one card.

15. seek3r macrumors 6502

Given the original post is talking about idle specifically I dont get your conclusion from your link. The link shows an *idle* noise comparable to an 8800 (which is pretty quiet). It ramps up to be reasonably loud under load, but that's not the OP's question.

16. blackmtn macrumors member

What computer did you own before this one? I have the same Mac Pro, just arrived today. Haven't owned a MP before - my iMac and (especially) my Mac Mini are what I would call whisper quiet - this one makes a racket in comparison. Especially the lower pitched variable hum, almost makes my desk have a slight vibration.

17. Vylen macrumors 65816

5870 is pretty quiet. The Hitachi 2TB drive is louder.

I was playing Portal last night - full res (1920x1080) and high settings. I decided to fall infinitely to put some stress on the framerate and muted the audio to try listen to the Mac Pro.. no discernable difference compared to not playing any games.

18. mackenziemac macrumors newbie

im sure this has been answered before but whats the difference from the 5770 to 5870 besides powering more monitors?

19. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

That's my experience too. I think it depends too on where people put their MP mine is next to me. On the floor I guess it would be more like a whisper.

20. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Wake up! You are not supposed to sleep in the office!

21. pascals macrumors newbie

:p so you made a sound board for your computer to make it louder? Try separating it from hard surfaces and make sure it doesn't touch anything on the sides either.

22. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

How do you separate it? Please give us some tips. Mines on a hollow cabinet and I'm sure that's the problem. MPs have no rubber feet.

23. pascals macrumors newbie

Go to a hardware/DIY store and buy some felt or rubber feet with sticky back? I don't know which works best for you. I prefer felt, which slides nicely on a hardwood floor/cabinet. As the case is made from aluminium the sticky stuff can be removed years from now with little trouble. Thicker ones are better at dampening vibrations, especially from the optical drive, but the thinnest ones you can find are probably more than sufficient.

For me, room ambient noise is more important than the looks of the underside of my new Mac Pro. You?

24. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

Sounds good I'll do that. I've just put old socks under it at the moment. :)

25. blackmtn macrumors member

I'll try separating it with something and get back to the forum with results.

The computer itself is actually pretty quiet, I pulled out my (Radioshack!) decibel meter and it read generally below 50 db (the lowest it will read), sometimes peaking around 54 db, all while the computer was at idle. That is pretty quiet - maybe it's the low pitch hum that's bugging me the most and hopefully your idea will help that.

[Edit]
    Well, I now have a nice thick wool sock under each end of the computer and it still sounds the same.