Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoSUV

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
Hong Kong
With the introduction of the Force Touch pad on the new 13" rMBP's, does it actually click? If not, that's exactly what I hate about touch pads, because if you drag your finger across intending to move the cursor, sometimes it accidentally registers as a click/tap and it drives me nuts. I have always disabled the "tap" functions of any touch pads I use, Mac or PC, and will always just use the hard buttons for clicking, or for Multi Touch pads, the bottom area (it hinges at the top) where it will register as a hard click.

If the new Force Touch no longer clicks, I am willing to pick up the old 13" rMBP's if stocks are still remaining, just to continue to work with Multi Touch. Or someone who has already tried the Force Touch can convince me otherwise.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
With the introduction of the Force Touch pad on the new 13" rMBP's, does it actually click? If not, that's exactly what I hate about touch pads, because if you drag your finger across intending to move the cursor, sometimes it accidentally registers as a click/tap and it drives me nuts. I have always disabled the "tap" functions of any touch pads I use, Mac or PC, and will always just use the hard buttons for clicking, or for Multi Touch pads, the bottom area (it hinges at the top) where it will register as a hard click.

If the new Force Touch no longer clicks, I am willing to pick up the old 13" rMBP's if stocks are still remaining, just to continue to work with Multi Touch. Or someone who has already tried the Force Touch can convince me otherwise.

Nope, it doesn't click. A tap still works, while a harder press is a click.

actuallyinaus

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2013
try it out in the shop on the new 13" rMBP, i believe it will vibrate the trackpad to simulate a click feeling if you push hard

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
When force touch (horrible name) is mentioned on the MacBook Page, the taptic engine is mentioned right next to it. On the MacBook Pro page, there's no mention of the taptic engine, so I assume (and hope) that it retains the physical click.

MacGekko

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
When force touch (horrible name) is mentioned on the MacBook Page, the taptic engine is mentioned right next to it. On the MacBook Pro page, there's no mention of the taptic engine, so I assume (and hope) that it retains the physical click.

I hope you are right, can anyone confirm this? I just read a Macbook review in which the reviewer said the feedback is so good you think it is a physical click, who knows maybe it is not so bad for people who don't like the change but in my experience most of these reviewers rarely write anything overly negative about new products.

http://gizmodo.com/apples-new-macbook-hands-on-gorgeous-featherlight-bu-1690351188

The picture in this Gizmodo article confirms you can turn off haptic feedback but obviously you can't add a physical click. If Apple changes the 15in. Macbook Pro trackpad the only option would be to buy a Logitech TrackPad and place it over the Apple Trackpad or over to the right or left of it.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/11/apples-new-macbooks-trackpad-does-not-move/

This is another article I found where the reviewer claims you can't even tell it is not a physical click so maybe it won't be so bad after all.

Last edited:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
If not, that's exactly what I hate about touch pads, because if you drag your finger across intending to move the cursor, sometimes it accidentally registers as a click/tap and it drives me nuts.
I've never had such trouble with an Apple trackpad.

I'd say the problem is the user, not the trackpad.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
I use magicprefs to dial in the settings I want... double tap on finger to highlight three finger tap to look up in a dictionary etc. I don't see how this force click gimmicky stuff is going to save time or be more intuitive.

I'm a bit concerned with Apple's impulse to innovate leaving tried and true things behind...force click, magsafe, etc.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008

I doubt it does, on another page it talks about being able to "click" anywhere, which likely means the hinge is gone.

Personally I think the new trackpad is going to be awesome...it is the one killer hardware feature that Apple has had over the competition for years and I don't see them screwing it up.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I hope you are right, can anyone confirm this? I just read a Macbook review in which the reviewer said the feedback is so good you think it is a physical click, who knows maybe it is not so bad for people who don't like the change but in my experience most of these reviewers rarely write anything overly negative about new products.

http://gizmodo.com/apples-new-macbook-hands-on-gorgeous-featherlight-bu-1690351188

The picture in this Gizmodo article confirms you can turn off haptic feedback but obviously you can't add a physical click. If Apple changes the 15in. Macbook Pro trackpad the only option would be to buy a Logitech TrackPad and place it over the Apple Trackpad or over to the right or left of it.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/11/apples-new-macbooks-trackpad-does-not-move/

This is another article I found where the reviewer claims you can't even tell it is not a physical click so maybe it won't be so bad after all.

Sounds good. I hope it works properly in bootcamp too.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I doubt it does, on another page it talks about being able to "click" anywhere, which likely means the hinge is gone.

Personally I think the new trackpad is going to be awesome...it is the one killer hardware feature that Apple has had over the competition for years and I don't see them screwing it up.

I just had my friend try it at the Apple Store while she was there and it doesn't mechanically click anymore. That's kind of disappointing, but I haven't personally felt it yet.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I just had my friend try it at the Apple Store while she was there and it doesn't mechanically click anymore. That's kind of disappointing, but I haven't personally felt it yet.

Are they out at the Apple Stores yet? I thought the new Macbook Pros weren't even in stores.

MacGekko

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009

If true then the haptic feedback was turned off.

zippster

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
pick up mine today (2.7,256gb)

i can confirm it actually clicks!!

however when the power is off it doesn't.. its genius!

dreamsINdigital

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
I've never had such trouble with an Apple trackpad.

I'd say the problem is the user, not the trackpad.
I agree. Mac trackpads have always been excellent about detecting what is a tap and what isn't. PC trackpads I've tried, not so much.

pick up mine today (2.7,256gb)

i can confirm it actually clicks!!

however when the power is off it doesn't.. its genius!
That means it DOESN'T actually click, but is just a haptic feedback. It probably feels real so you can't tell.

chaoscarrot

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2015
First post!

This morning I was all set to buy a new 13'' rMBP, but this thread gave me pause. I really like to actually click the trackpad, it just feels more solid and I'm assured that every click will go through.

As this thread progressed it seems like the haptic feedback is quite strong (or can be tuned as such) so that it actually feels like a real click. I decided to take the plunge as I currently have no laptop (sold my 2010 15''). Will let you guys know what I think as someone who this was almost deal-breaker for!

tylerwatt12

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
I just got mine. You can change the settings so it will feel identical to the previous Macbooks and even turn off force touch. It's really great

This is the same technology used in the blackberry's of yesteryear that had a touchscreen (if anyone is familiar)

Basically, when it's powered off, it doesn't move at all, but when on it allows certain levels of clicks.

There's normal click, and force enabled by default.
Then when you open an app (like quicktime) and hover over the FF button, it allows you a lot more sensitivity. There are probably 10 different "click levels" when using the accelerators.

So, yes the thing does "click"

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I just got mine. You can change the settings so it will feel identical to the previous Macbooks and even turn off force touch. It's really great

This is the same technology used in the blackberry's of yesteryear that had a touchscreen (if anyone is familiar)

Basically, when it's powered off, it doesn't move at all, but when on it allows certain levels of clicks.

There's normal click, and force enabled by default.
Then when you open an app (like quicktime) and hover over the FF button, it allows you a lot more sensitivity. There are probably 10 different "click levels" when using the accelerators.

So, yes the thing does "click"

And you love it? It's an apple signature or not? i mean the new trackpad is very nicely done and thought?

tylerwatt12

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
And you love it? It's an apple signature or not? i mean the new trackpad is very nicely done and thought?

Yes It's pretty cool.

I like how developers can add cues in the software to add extra virtual clicks, should be interesting. I like how I can click from the top (although i'll continue to use the 2 finger method)

Another thing I noticed, it doesn't physically click using objects that aren't you (so it's similar to a touch lamp). I tried poking the trackpad with a plastic stick, and it didn't click. I poked it with a metal stick, and it clicked because metal is a conductor and it could feel the (resistance/capacitance?)

GoSUV

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
Hong Kong
Wow. If there is no click but Apple has built some feedback into the touchpad so it "feels" like a real click, then I am willing to give this a try. If anything, I will just continue to use my Apple Mouse (the one with the scroll ball) while I'm at my desk, which I usually do. My local Apple Store already has the new 13" rMBP in stock now but display units won't be setup until next week, so maybe I will just run to the store today and buy one. I need a computer anyway as my 2007 15" MBP is no longer adequate for my needs. (Yes, that's the one with the silver keyboard and a separate physical touchpad button).

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
If anyone ever tried the old Blackberry Storm 2, I am guessing it will be the same concept. That was a non moveable glass with haptic feedback. Although that device sucked thanks to a poor OS, the effect was pretty cool. It felt like you were hitting buttons when typing but it was the haptic feedback creating that feedback where you placed your finger. I am assuming by the reviews this is the same effect with the new Force Touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.