Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As the launch of the so-called "iPhone 6s" and "iPhone 6s Plus" inches closer, suppliers have begun shipping Force Touch panels for the next-generation smartphones, according to DigiTimes. The report claims that Apple's supply chain partners started shipping Force Touch panels in limited quantities in June before ramping up production of the pressure-sensitive modules in July.

force-touch-iphone-6-800x292.jpg

Taipei Times vaguely reported that Apple's touch panel supplier TPK expects widespread adoption of pressure sensors, presumably for Force Touch, later this year. Force Touch, an existing Apple Watch and MacBook feature, is a pressure-sensitive technology that will enable future iPhones to distinguish between a light tap and deep press and complete different actions accordingly.

Taiwan-based website DigiTimes has a mixed track record at reporting on Apple's upcoming product plans, but its sources within the upstream supply chain have proven reliable in the past. Apple has also announced new iPhones in September or October since the iPhone 4s, so suppliers ramping up Force Touch production is to be expected with less than two months to go.

The "iPhone 6s" and "iPhone 6s Plus" are rumored to feature the same 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch screen sizes, an A9 processor with 2GB of RAM, Force Touch, a faster Qualcomm LTE chip, an improved 12-megapixel rear-facing camera and 7000 Series aluminum. The overall design of the smartphones will likely be nearly identical to the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Article Link: Force Touch Panels Enter Mass Production Ahead of 'iPhone 6s' Launch

Reactions: scapegoat81

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
I wonder

As the launch of the so-called "iPhone 6s" and "iPhone 6s Plus" inches closer, suppliers have begun shipping Force Touch panels for the next-generation smartphones, according to DigiTimes. The report claims that Apple's supply chain partners started shipping Force Touch panels in limited quantities in June before ramping up production of the pressure-sensitive modules in July.

Taipei Times vaguely reported that Apple's touch panel supplier TPK expects widespread adoption of pressure sensors, presumably for Force Touch, later this year. Force Touch, an existing Apple Watch and MacBook feature, is a pressure-sensitive technology that will enable future iPhones to distinguish between a light tap and deep press and complete different actions accordingly.

Taiwan-based website DigiTimes has a mixed track record at reporting on Apple's upcoming product plans, but its sources within the upstream supply chain have proven reliable in the past. Apple has also announced new iPhones in September or October since the iPhone 4s, so suppliers ramping up Force Touch production is to be expected with less than two months to go.

The "iPhone 6s" and "iPhone 6s Plus" are rumored to feature the same 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch screen sizes, an A9 processor with 2GB of RAM, Force Touch, a faster Qualcomm LTE chip, an improved 12-megapixel rear-facing camera and 7000 Series aluminum. The overall design of the smartphones will likely be nearly identical to the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Article Link: Force Touch Panels Enter Mass Production Ahead of 'iPhone 6s' Launch
I just wonder how long it will take for someone to say crackgate. "I force touched my screen and it broke". Also I wonder how different this is from press hold.

I can't wait for the 6s. My z3 needs retirement.

Comment

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Don't think we'll see it this time around. (6s)

50 million in 4 months is 12.5 million to be produced p. month
416,000 a day (30 days rounded)

Not going further into how many production lines and shifts, just can't see it in time for September
shipments.

Comment

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Don't think we'll see it this time around. (6s)

50 million in 4 months is 12.5 million to be produced p. month
416,000 a day (30 days rounded)

Not going further into how many production lines and shifts, just can't see it in time for September
shipments.

The report can always be wrong. Given them Force Touch came in Apple Watch & Macs already, and that iOS 9 code features Force Touch, I'm sure it will be in the 6S.

Apple will just have another launch where supplies are heavily constrained :(

Comment

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
I wonder whether force touch includes the haptic feedback engine that is part of the new track pad.
That's probably the one thing that bothers me about the technology: You don't really know it's there. So what I see is that it will be triggered accidentally most of the time, but I don't know how it's going to work.

Comment

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Oh boy, should I upgrade to this or wait for the "iPhone 7"? iOS 9 is still compatible with my 4S so I can't decide if it's prudent or not.

Comment

Populus

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2012
Valencia, Spain.
I'm a big fan of the iPhone S series.

I mean, it's always a big deal: A refinement of the structure, any hardware issues are adressed, It always carries better camera, a much better GPU and CPU (remember that the A8 is only a little better than the outstanding A7, the first 64bits CPU and twice as powerful as the A6). The A9 is going to be actually a very, very powerful SoC.

And there is, always, some differentiation feature: Siri on the 4S, Touch ID on 5S, and a very useful Force Touch on the 6S.

As I said, I'm a big fan of the S series, and my next iPhone will probably be an S.

It's a pity, thoug, that the iPhone 6 size is a little too much big for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: darcyf and Jsameds
Comment

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
I'm a big fan of the iPhone S series.

I mean, it's always a big deal: A refinement of the structure, any hardware issues are adressed, It always carries better camera, a much better GPU and CPU (remember that the A8 is only a little better than the outstonding A7, the first 64bits CPU and twice as powerful as the A6). The A9 is going to be actually a very, very powerful SoC.

And there is, always, some differentiation feature: Siri on the 4S, Touch ID on 5S, and a very useful Force Touch on the 6S.

Don't forget "tock" cycle (S series, as opposed to the "tick" cycle which is the numbers) always has the same design as the previous model, meaning they've also ironed out any design flaws in the hardware.

**Ahem** Bendgate...

and **ahem** antennagate...

Comment

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
What? No. This is an actual sensor that's added to the screen that can measure the vertically applied force (a piezo sensor or whatever).
Is it?
Okay... but I'm sure I remember reading way back that 'Force Touch' was a term to describe different ways of implementing this effect.. on trackpads (Macbooks) that already move down a bit, then yes, the sensor is upgraded to appreciate the force of the pressure.. but on surfaces that do not move down, ie phone screens, it would be surface area to determine force of press.

Reference: http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/force-touch-to-bring-significant-change-to-next-iphone-says-analyst/

Happy to be wrong.. in which case, a moving iPhone screen is interesting..
Can you point me to any links? Cheers.

Comment

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Is it?
Okay... but I'm sure I remember reading way back that 'Force Touch' was a term to describe different ways of implementing this effect.. on trackpads (Macbooks) that already move down a bit, then yes, the sensor is upgraded to appreciate the force of the pressure.. but on surfaces that do not move down, ie phone screens, it would be surface area to determine force of press.

Reference: http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/force-touch-to-bring-significant-change-to-next-iphone-says-analyst/

Happy to be wrong.. in which case, a moving iPhone screen is interesting..
Can you point me to any links? Cheers.

it isn't about motion, it is about strain.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.