forcing apps to open with right app

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lowonthe456, Nov 7, 2007.

1. lowonthe456 macrumors 6502

for whatever reason, pdfs refuse to auto open with acrobat. it still defualts to preview.

if i go to "open with" and manually choose the app and select :always open..."

that file will change to acrobat, but the other pdf's still default to preview

how do i change this globally?

2. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Click on a file of the type and get info. Then you should see a pull down menu of default apps. Under that there will be a change all button. Click that and you should be good to go.

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I don't have a helpful answer, but I was wondering what advantage opening a pdf with acrobat has over preview? Honestly just curious

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I was curious too. Leopard's PDF handling is lightning fast.

The only thing I need Acrobat for is a large PDF book with index. Haven't found a way for Preview to use the index, so it has to opened by chapter. Of course, with Coverflow, I can peruse the chapter's title page on-the-fly, then Quicklook to open.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Certainly the full Acrobat program (not Reader) has more powerful PDF-editing tools than Preview. I need them rarely enough that I simply open Acrobat when I need to and allow Preview to handle the viewing the majority of the time. But someone who edits PDFs a lot would probably want Acrobat to be the default app.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Authoring PDF - well, that makes sense... So used to being on the viewing end. Full Acrobat also has the fine control needed for commercial printing services.

7. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

You are right. I guess for some reason I took it as the reader.