Ford Sync / iOS 4.2 GM (Apple still can't get it right!)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TSloper, Nov 7, 2010.

1. TSloper macrumors member

I've been a big fan of the iPhone for years but now I'm beginning to get fed up with this device. I bought a new Ford about a month ago and even with iOS 4.2 GM the iPhone still cannot maintain a connection with the Sync system. Even if it does stay connected it may or may not operate as expected (streaming, voice commands, etc.). 4.2 fixed the choppy USB streaming but that is about it.

Even if both parties are to blame at a technical level there is no reason for this to still be a problem. The iPhone is beginning to lose its edge on a number of fronts.

2. dmblue macrumors member

You cant expect the iphone or even every single phone in the world to be compatible with all bluetooth systems.

It's just the way it is. For what its worth my iPhone 4 works perfectly
    with a brand new Ford truck ( my friends not sure the model) Sync system
    we play music, take phone calls and works without a hitch.

3. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Maybe, just maybe, mind you, the problem is in the Fix Or Repair Daily machine and not with Apple at all? :D

4. TSloper thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

Actually consumers should be able to expect that devices will work together without a hitch. That is exactly why there are things such as BT standards and profiles. Unfortunately not everyone chooses to adhere to the standards as written. For consumer products that display the BT logo that is just unacceptable.

Ford may be to blame as well. Regardless these interoperabilities should never make it to the consumer and if they do they should be addressed quickly. The problem with Apple is they would rather deny an issue exists than just do what's right and fix things in a timely manner.

According to everything I have read the issues with Sync started when 4.0 was released. It worked as expected prior to 4.0.

5. Nokaoi macrumors regular

Really? I bought my 2010 F-150 XLT back in April and that's when I still had the iPhone 3g and I never had any problems and now I have the iPhone 4 and no problems still.

6. uniforms macrumors regular

Funny, I just bought a 2011 Honda Odyssey and Have been having issues with Bluetooth switching back and forth. The Honda dealer said nothing was wrong with their system. I told Apple and they replaced my iPhone 4. I'll see how the new phone works. I didn't have a problem with my old 2010 Honda Odyssey. Crossing my fingers that the new phone works the way it is suppose to. I may run back to my old 3GS!

7. Muad'Dib macrumors 6502

Why not? Isn't that why the standard exists???

8. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

Check with Ford and see if they might possibly have a software update for your bluetooth module.

9. terrywfoster macrumors regular

I have a 2010 Ford Taurus with SYNC. No problems or issues at all with my iPhone 4 connecting. I thought it was rather easy setting up and very simple to use.

10. accinfo macrumors member

I have a 2011 Ford Fusion and the Sync system works perfectly with my IPhone 4.

11. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

12. budman1961 macrumors regular

My Ip4/4.2gm and the Ford Sync in my 2009 F-150 work perfectly together....:D

13. andy769 macrumors member

I have a 2011 Ford Taurus and my bluetooth disconnects 5-6 times during my half hour commute to work with my iphone 4. I was told by my dealership that I have the most current sync software in my car. I was hoping 4.2 would solve my problems, I guess not. I also read that all iphone - sync problems started when iphone software 4.0 was released. I dont know who is to blame but I just wish I could find a solution.

14. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

2010 Ford Fusion Sport with Sync and Navi has no issues. Occasionally near a local fire station it will drop, but I believe it's something due to the fire station that causes it. Otherwise, it works great.

15. TSloper thread starter macrumors member

2011 Taurus SHO here

16. TSloper thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

So I picked up a Droid X last night to try out. It works 100% flawlessly with my Sync system and even supports the text feature.

No disconnects, no skipping.

I will say that the Apple ecosystem and UI is much more polished but there is no excuse for poor BT compliance in their flagship communication device.

17. andy769 macrumors member

Thats interesting. My ford dealer salesman has a 2010 taurus with a regular droid and he said he doesn't have any problems with his sync system in his car.

To those of you not having problems, any chance you can go to syncmyride.com and let me know what sync version you are using. I am using version 3.2 and definatly have problems.

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I expect my iPhone to work with every wifi network I encounter.
    I expect my Mac to work with every USB hard drive I buy.
    I expect every ethernet cable to fit in every ethernet port I own.

Why the low-opinion in bluetooth systems, then? We're supposed to expect them be useless? Is that really what their designers were hoping for?

19. jbro1999 macrumors regular

2010 F150 and mine works great too. I can't wait for the texting feature though!!

20. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

Are you implying that between Apple and Ford, Apple would be the one screwing up? You are kidding right?

21. red5ive macrumors newbie

I know, right? Apple never makes mistakes....

22. WilliamG macrumors 604

I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is Apple's fault. The iPhone 4 has been one royal screwup after another, and my iPhone has suffered from them ALL: proximity sensor nonsense, antenna nonsense etc, Bluetooth problems (still not entirely resolved with 4.1, but at least I don't get accused of sounding like I'm under water).

So yes, this is entirely likely to be Apple's fault

23. err404, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010

err404 macrumors 68020

OP, have you tried asking about this issue on the Ford forums? Clearly most people are not having issues (my brothers Ford Fusion is also fine with his iP4).

I'd like to note that both people having issues in this thread are driving 2011 Taurus variants. I'd recommend following that lead.

BTW - from the official Ford Sync support FAQ:
    looks like there are some known issues.

24. andy769 macrumors member

I tried turning off my auto phone book download when I first started having the problem and it didn't solve anything for me. I did see that posted on the sync forums. Ive done a lot of digging here at macrumors, and on the sync forums. I still haven't found a solution.

25. PSUFAN macrumors newbie

I have a 2010 Taurus and I'm about to buy the iPhone 4, can anyone tell me if SYNC's "reading text to me feature" works with the iPhone 4?