Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fluamsler

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2016
near Basel, Switzerland
Today I realized that someone tries to airplay informations to on my Apple TV. Suddenly my TV switched from TV to the HDMI input, Apple TV turned on and it showed the random on-screen-code.
Is there a option to identify this device and block it?

Many thanks in advance!

QzzB

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
London
Dont think there is a way of blocking the specific device, but can turn off the remote device in the Apple TV settings I believe. Not infront of mine at the moment, but pretty sure I saw a option to turn off the network remotes. Think its in Settings > remotes and devices.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
If you are running the latest tvOS, what you are experiencing is a known airplay bug.

fluamsler

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2016
near Basel, Switzerland
Dont think there is a way of blocking the specific device, but can turn off the remote device in the Apple TV settings I believe. Not infront of mine at the moment, but pretty sure I saw a option to turn off the network remotes. Think its in Settings > remotes and devices.

Thanks. On "Settings > Remotes and devices > remote app and devices" there is no unknown device in this list (only my own iPhone 6s) ;)
[doublepost=1493067773][/doublepost]
If you are running the latest tvOS, what you are experiencing is a known airplay bug.

OK this would also make sense. ;) Thanks for your hint!

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
apple tv also lets you airplay when not connected to the same wifi network, it uses bluetooth/wifi to make it work.
i think it's why they now ask for a pin, it's way to easy to stream to a device you shouldn't be able to connect to.

If you're in an apartment building, chances are your aTV is close enough to other people to be seen via bluetooth.
I get a phantom Apple TV occasionally depending on where i am in my apartment.

one work around is to re-name your appleTV, if people see 2 aTVs with the default name, they aren't sure which one is theirs, but if they see "apple TV" and "Bob's Apple TV" they know they're not Bob.

fluamsler

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2016
near Basel, Switzerland
If you're in an apartment building, chances are your aTV is close enough to other people to be seen via bluetooth.
I get a phantom Apple TV occasionally depending on where i am in my apartment.

Yes I'm living in a apartment building and the apartments are pretty close to each other.

one work around is to re-name your appleTV, if people see 2 aTVs with the default name, they aren't sure which one is theirs, but if they see "apple TV" and "Bob's Apple TV" they know they're not Bob.

First I saw two Apple TV. Mine was called "Apple TV" and another one was called "Apple TV 2."
I've renamed my Apple TV to "Wohnzimmer" (which means "living room" in german) and tried to enter there Apple TV on the evening a couple of times. I've entered On Screen Code "0000" to give them a hint to rename there Apple TV too. ;) Today I've realized the Apple TV has been renamed to "Apple TV Stanza per la TV" (it's Italian and means something like "Apple TV: TV room")

Until now the problem is solved. But in my opinion the on-screen code is not the perfect solution. Apple should add the option to allow only specific devices to wake up the apple TV from standby. If the device has not the permission to wake it up it should only be allowed to stream via Apple TV if it is already turned on (something like a guest mode).

@All:
Thank you for your help! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.