foreigner and car

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by fedecape, Feb 20, 2013.

  1. fedecape macrumors 6502


    Oct 23, 2011
    Miami, FL
    My son is going to be studying in the Miami area, and I'll like to get him a car.
    He has a "full" Argentinian (our country) car driver license, but he's 17.

    Do you guys know how the system works?

    Can I get it under my name and then authorize him ?

    What about the insurance?

    Thank you!

  2. Tomorrow macrumors 604


    Mar 2, 2008
    Always a day away
    He can probably get a driver's license here as well. The minimum age is typically 16, so that's not an issue. I don't know how you would get a license under your name and then "authorize" him - it doesn't work that way here.

    I don't think there would be a problem with him owning the car, but he will need his own insurance, in all probability.
  3. PinoyAko macrumors 6502

    Nov 25, 2012
    That will work as long as he always bring his passport with him while driving.
    He can apply for Miami Drivers license as long as his Argentinian Driver's license is still valid.

    His insurance will be costly though because he holds a non-US drivers license.
  4. Mousse macrumors 68000


    Apr 7, 2008
    Flea Bottom, King's Landing
    Being a teenager will more likely factor into the cost of insurance than being a foreigner. Be ready to pay through the nose for insurance. Guys don't get a break on auto insurance until he's 25... with a clean record.
  5. PinoyAko macrumors 6502

    Nov 25, 2012
    Ahh thay make sense. That is possible.

    Anyway, I am a foreigner living here in the States. One of the reason that my agent said to me why my insurance is so high because of my driver license. Lo and behold, when I got my US license in about 2 months, my insurance was discounted with about 100 bucks a year.
  6. fedecape thread starter macrumors 6502


    Oct 23, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I'm sorry, I didn't express my doubt properly.

    I assumed that his license would work. What I meant with "Authorize" him, was to drive my car (because I thought he, as a 17-year-old, cannot "own" a car).

    In Argentina, I would make a special "authorization" (It is a small plastic card) that says that XXXX can drive my car.

    His Argentinian Driver's license is valid and will not expire until the end of the year (december) (when he turns 18, he must renew it in Argentina).

    Is it possible to "buy" the car under his 17-year-old name?

    What If I buy it for me (under my name), can't my son drive my car?

    Where are you from and how much are you paying?

    Thank you very much!!!
  7. yg17 macrumors G5


    Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    If you're son is under 18, I don't think he can buy a car or get insurance on his own. Even if the car is paid outright in cash and not financed, I think purchasing a car and insurance is considered a legal contract, which, you have to be 18 to enter.

    If you buy the car, you register it to your name, you pay the taxes, etc, he can drive the car (assuming he's on your insurance plan) but I'm not sure if there's a way to get him insurance on the car without you also being insured on it.

    But, it wouldn't hurt to call the Florida DMV and some insurance companies and see what they suggest, I'm sure you're not the first person to be in this predicament. Maybe there's special exemptions for foreign students under 18.
  8. wordoflife macrumors 604


    Jul 6, 2009
    If I'm reading it correctly, you need an Argentinian license and a international driving permit to drive in Florida. You will probably have to call the Florida DMV and insurance companies to find out what needs to happen.

    I'm not sure what school your son is attending, but quick googling brought this and it might be helpful.

    If possible, I'd suggest to avoid getting a car if possible. It will be really expensive, and is a hassle in general. The whole process is, although still expensive, much easier if he is 18 (i believe)

Share This Page