Forget it - I can't wait anymore.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JPIndustrie, Sep 7, 2008.

  1. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

    JPIndustrie

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2008
    Location:
    Queens, NY
    #1
    Hey guys,

    I've been eyeing a 2.4 GHz Macbook Pro for a few months now, and just thought I'd wait till the new updates before deciding. And I have a Rev. C 12" Powerbook G4 that I still love - but found it needs a new Logic Board :(

    You know what, I went to the store today, and my dad was willing to help me out with it - I don't think I can wait anymore. :D

    I think I'm just going to go ahead and get it. Whatever. Let them come out with a new case or new feature. I don't know - am I really stupid for buying one now?

    The thing about Apple, which is what I love about them - is the fact that none of their products really get outdated. I remember not feeling any ounce of jealousy once the Rev D and E Powerbook's came out - and my Rev. C still felt plenty fast for my needs. Rev E Powerbooks are still commanding high resale prices. And I see people using and loving their 2.0/2.2 Ghz Macbook Pro's, and not feeling the need to upgrade. The MBP seems to have that aura, that it's like "well it's a MBP, its not like another HP or Dell, that when they come out with a new one, you really feel like an *sshole".

    I feel like, well I'm happy and lucky enough to even own a Macbook Pro, so whatever - if they come out with a new one with a new case design or whatever, let them - it doesn't detract from the soon-to-be-mine Perryn MBP.

    Am i a Noob? :p
     
  2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

    mobilehaathi

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2008
    Location:
    The Anthropocene
    #2
    If you really don't care, do it!

    It is a great machine: you'll love it.
     
  3. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

    bassproguy07

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2008
    Location:
    Katy, TX
    #3
    your not a noob, and if your dad is willing to help pay for it go for it before he changes his mind! I need one bad, but I still don't have my loan money for this semester so I have to wait till like the 25th or something. If a new MBP isn't announced by then i am just going to buy.
     
  4. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

    Chris Rogers

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2008
    Location:
    my house
    #4
    W A I T

    just think, 2 days from now you'll know what the future holds.

    Just by you asking means you have some kind of interest in the new design.
     
  5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2007
    #5
    Man we all know what the future holds.

    New iPods, iTunes 8, and OS X 10.5.5.

    OP: If you want it, get it. If , for some reason Job's supplier gives him some extra fine crack and he decides to release the new Macbook's on the same day then you should be able to return/rebuy within 14 days.
     
  6. joshi3joshi macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #6
    the new macbooks and macbook pros are coming out at the end of this month. they are NOT coming out on september 9. trust me on this one. i will bet 100% that i am right (no just a random guess...i actually know this for fact ;))

    anyway, to TC, buy it now, you wont have any regrets :) congrats
     
  7. m1stake macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    Philly
    #7
    Buying an Apple product 2 days before an event, regardless of what it's for, isn't very smart. You can return it within 14 days, but you pay a 10% restocking fee.
     
  8. joshi3joshi macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #8
    well if its not for the product you want to buy, does it really matter? for example, if there is a macbook/pro event in a week, and you realy want to buy an ipod or something, would you hold off buying the ipod now, and wait a week for an event that does nothing to change your decision? why wait and torture yourself with the wait ?
     
  9. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

    Minimoose 360

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2008
    Location:
    NY
    #9
    Your not stupid, but I would at least wait until after the 9th, just in case. :]
     
  10. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

    MowingDevil

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
    #10
    Looking at the MacRumors buyer's guide....Apple hasn't updated their high-end laptops in SEPTEMBER since they were PowerBooks at that update was in 2003!!!

    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro

    Since they've been fairly consistent w/ these patterns I wouldn't expect a release even at the end of the month...look for OCTOBER! *gasp*
     
  11. megamouse macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    #11
    I got the same model you are after 4 days ago, never regret it.

    The more I use it, the more I LOVE it, just feel like my FIRST 12' Powerbook G4 :rolleyes:
     
  12. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

    MowingDevil

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
  13. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 25, 2008
    #13
    i bought a Macbook in febuary, and after many months of thinking i should have got the Pro, i to am going to take the plunge at a macbook pro. I might wait it out until they release the new ones though.

    But man, I went to an Apple store today i was playing around on it, with the multi touch, larger screen ect and honestly if they released something else.. i would be fine.. seeing as its an amazing machine. Do what you wanna do mate, whatever you choose it will be fantastic. It just might be fantastic earlyer haha.
     
  14. megamouse macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    #14

    yup, nearly forgot our mutual friend :rolleyes:


    The point is, if the OP needs it now, he should get it now, like I did.
     
  15. A7X21112 macrumors member

    A7X21112

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    Location:
    San Diego
    #15
    How do you know???

    Bull **** you ****^
     
  16. m1stake macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    Philly
    #16
    The only thing that would be stupid there is not waiting two days and not getting a brand new laptop at a refurbished price direct from Apple. Two days makes no difference in the grand scheme of things and if you can't control your impulse to by one of these tools that you apparently can't live without, I'm sorry.
     
  17. AquaMethod macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2008
    #17
    The theme of the event is "Let's Rock", so it's obviously and iPod-related event. Updating the pro laptops just wouldn't make sense; at most we'll see new MacBooks, not Macbook Pros. Besides, the next major revision to the MacBook Pro line will likely be to include Intel's new chips with the "Nehalem" architecture—those aren't due out until next year, I believe.

    So go for it! If you can, use a credit card: they offer a thirty-day protection against price drops and new models.

    Just don't pay for extra RAM. I highly suggest the Cosair low-latency memory if you want more than 2GB, especially for virtualization. You can get the kit for $80.00 or less, and it's easy to install. I've been super happy with it.
     
  18. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

    MowingDevil

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
    #18
    Absolutely!
     
  19. masse macrumors 6502a

    masse

    Joined:
    May 4, 2007
    Location:
    MA/GA
  20. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

    MowingDevil

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
    #20
    No, waiting, waiting, waiting when you can be using the computer now is stupid.
    Waiting for an update that may come this month, was 'supposed to come in June, July & August and will probably come in October or later...is stupid.
    If he doesn't need it now then waiting is fine but if he needs then waiting is like chasing the dragon. Stupid.
     
  21. snake101st macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    #21
    Wow you just made me feel stupid. It's really the truth. I could be using a great new MBP for visual/audio projects in my digital arts major, but instead, Ive been waiting since may for the "update." Im starting to really lose hope, and might just buy on the 14th to get the free ipod and give it to my gf.

    Its just getting ridiculous, especially with no confirmation whatsoever (Id wait until october if an update was leaked in OS X 10.5.5 or something!)
     
  22. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

    MowingDevil

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
    #22
    Sorry ;) I only speak from experience....its like a dog chasing it's tail.
     
  23. JPIndustrie thread starter macrumors 6502a

    JPIndustrie

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2008
    Location:
    Queens, NY
    #23
    Exactly my point.

    I always try to get the latest I can, but you know what it's not like the Perryn Laptop will stop working once the new ones come out.
     
  24. Chappers macrumors 68020

    Chappers

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    Location:
    At home
    #24
    Wait if you can
    buy if you can't

    You sound extremely level headed - I doubt you dad will change his mind.
    Ask him what he thinks. A good dad (and yours sounds pretty darn good) will appreciate you wanting his valuable opinion.

    Good luck
     
  25. joshi3joshi macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #25
    i know you wont believe me cuz im just another guy on the internet....and youll be even more skeptical when i say that one of my relatives works in apple's memory ram department...

    but my relative works there, and im 100% sure it will come out at the end of September and and NOT on the 9th.

    say bull **** all you want now..but when september 9th rolls around, and no new macbooks/pros, and when the end of september rolls around, and new macbook/pros come out, you will shut the hell up and hide in your little hole and not post on this topic again.
     

Share This Page