Forget launch time, let's take bets on when the servers will catch up to demand

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by jkauff, Sep 17, 2013.

1. jkauff macrumors member

I'm not into three hour downloads, so I think I'll wait until the servers catch up to demand tomorrow. I'm figuring 4 a.m. Eastern on the 19th is probably the first practical time to give it a try.

What time are you going to start downloading?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm already on GM but curious to see the build # of tomorrow's release. It should technically be the same.

3. Spacial macrumors 6502

With the billions Apples spent on its data center, this launch should be trouble free.

4. cchunk macrumors 6502

thats what you'd expect but its not what happens. I have been telling friends/family to wait until the evening. Should settle down around then.

5. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

iOS 7 is a highly awaited update. Its been trending worldwide on Twitter today all afternoon. Once that update hits...the servers will have trouble staying up.

6. bchery21 macrumors 6502

bchery21

The evening could arguably be worse. Then again, I'm not too sure where in the world you live.

7. cchunk macrumors 6502

All depends where you live. For me, im on the west coast. If someone was to download around 8-9 pm, half of the east coast will be asleep. But you're right, all depends on location

8. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I have often wished that Apple would do a phased rollout of these updates. 80% of the people that update will only update when their phone says it is available. so roll those "Pushed" updates out over the next few days, but let the people that really want it "Force" update it. Granted, Apple might already do something like that...

Moving the "upgrades" to a few days before the new phone launch was a really good idea though. Apple has ironed out quite a lot over the past few years. I remember getting iPhones and being completely unable to activate it all day.

9. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

10. MauerFan macrumors regular

I'm in the midwest so it's kind of tricky. I could wait until like 11 PM, but then it's only 9 PM on the west coast. We'll see.

11. SakuraSuki macrumors 6502

I am going to find ipsw file somewhere around internet. I am sure lots of websites will upload the ipsw files on their server. So why not download from there instead?

12. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

what stops you from doing that now?

13. SakuraSuki macrumors 6502

Noting really. I installed GM in all my iPhones and iPads, but my father's iPhone and iPod Touch have yet updated. He uses Windows and iTunes 11.5 still not available for Windows yet. So I am waiting for tomorrow to update my father's iPhone and iPod

14. bchery21, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013

bchery21 macrumors 6502

bchery21

I'm going to try my luck and update to iOS 7 OTA as soon as it's available. Since I'm on the east coast it'll be around lunch time (assuming it's dropped at 1PM EST) but I'm okay with that.

15. anshuvorty macrumors 6502a

anshuvorty

Cmon it can't be as apocalyptic and devastating as EA's screw up over the Sim City launch (Mac and PC versions)....

16. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Ditto on the Midwest. I might try mid-afternoon when the professionals are back from lunch but not home yet.

Nice username ;) Too bad this season is shot.

17. 41qser macrumors regular

18. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I've never known Apple's servers to crash or lag when delivering software updates to consumers. Apple knows how to do this unlike their rivals.

19. Daveoc64, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013

Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Really?

I don't remember any problems with an iOS rollout since iPhone OS 2.0 was released*.

If there's one thing that Apple does seem to be able to manage, it's having enough bandwidth to distribute updates.

*...and we all know that was because they tried to do too much on one day. The highly anticipated iPhone 3G, the App Store, MobileMe (which was an unmitigated disaster) and the update itself.

20. RIPstevejobs macrumors regular

Whenever you want.

The servers will be fine.

Dweebs.

21. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Apple rents server time and will handle the load. Might take a little patience but with millions trying to download at the same time, there could still be some delays.

No other entity could pull this off except Apple.

22. iPcdebb macrumors member

iPcdebb

I've always noticed updates get pushed to my devices very late in the evenings not expecting or looking for it. I will be looking for the update and will see if it will pull it around 1pm.

23. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

That's what I did when the GM was released.

24. joec651 macrumors newbie

-_-

25. RIPstevejobs macrumors regular