Formal Apology

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Glideslope, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

After spending a considerable amount of time minimizing the AW since it’s introduction I apologize. I have had my Series 4 44mm Aluminum GPS for a very short period (purchased for the ECG) and I am simply amazed by it’s utility, customization, intuitive OS, and just plain “make my day easier” attitude. I now understand the appeal of this amazing little computer.

I’m feeling this may become my favorite Apple Device. Time will tell.

Once again, I repent. :apple:

2. bgro macrumors 65816

3. Narked Diver macrumors regular

Narked Diver

Say 1 Our Steve and 10 Hail Tims and you are forgiven ;)

4. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

"O you of little faith, why did you doubt?"

5. Glideslope thread starter macrumors 603

Glideslope

Mostly due to a life long obsession with mechanical time pieces (which I still have and still own) some on the wrist, some in a pocket, some on a wall. ;)

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I see the value for both mechanical watches and smart watches. I like the Apple Watch, but I’m not to the point where I need to wear it all the time, I still have quite a few mechanical watches I’d like to use for specific outfits, etc. They both have a place in this world.

7. Glideslope, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019

Glideslope thread starter macrumors 603

Glideslope

Absolutely. I could not agree more. I simply felt a need to post after all the years of being dismissive of this device simply due to it being a Smart Watch. It was a good lesson for me about dismissing something simply due to it's alternate state of operation. I consider myself open to new technology, yet when it came to a watch I could not open the door until a cardiologist intervened. :apple:

8. MisterSavage macrumors 65816

MisterSavage

Nothing to apologize for and it's refreshing to see someone with an open mind. I wasn't sure I would need one and in my first week I almost returned my S3 because it felt like an expensive toy to me. I can't believe how much I use mine now and in ways I never imagined when I got mine.

9. AJ44 macrumors member

When I first heard of the Apple Watch I thought I wouldn't get one or have any need for it but bought one when it was first discounted and one version or another has been on one of my wrists since early 2016.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

We’ve all dismissed new tech before, (I know I have). Sometimes we don’t see the value in something until we actually experience it ourselves, we just want to automatically Shun something because we don’t think it would benefit us, until we actually have the opportunity to understand everything it offers. The Apple Watch is an entirely different device.

11. jonnyb098, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019

jonnyb098 macrumors 68030

jonnyb098

I felt similar to the OP until this year. I got a stainless series 3 on sale for $350 and finally took the plunge. Wore traditional watches most of my life. I picked up the official stainless link bracelet and now it’s the perfect blend of a traditional watch look and tech. I love it ! I don’t use notifications. Just the health features and switching watch faces depending on my mood/situation.

12. artfossil macrumors 65816

artfossil

I bought the original Series 0 Apple Watch on a whim, because I thought it might be useful to be reminded to stand. (It was.) It has since become my favorite piece of Apple tech ever, and it has transformed my life and my health for the better.

13. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

I wonder if there will come a time when the benefits of wearing an Apple Watch become so significant that it will no longer seem worth it to not wear it.

For example, you want to wear an expensive designer watch for an important event, but that means losing some degree of health tracking and the ECG functionality.

As Apple continues to add more health tracking features to the watch, the opportunity cost will only increase.

14. thizisweird macrumors member

thizisweird

So, I might be making an apology at some point (an apple watch is on my list of things to get with a work bonus), but here's what I'm looking for in a watch from Apple.....

If I can go on a run, nothing in my pockets, just AirPods and my watch, make a purchase at a corner shop using Apple Pay and Face ID, and stream Tidal (free with my Sprint plan) the whole time, I'd finance one tomorrow. If it's there yet, looks like I need to revise the old budget asap lol.

But personally, for the price of the watch I want (the Nike cellular model) I'd really prefer a regular ticker watch. I have a smartwatch from Fossil that I barely wear and it really just isn't useful at all to me. There were features I used when I was a Lyft driver... but they were why I bought the watch. With my money, I'd rather get a Panerai before I consider a smartwatch. But I guess that's just taste. I don't have a desire to look at my wrist much. I have 3 Apple screens I can look at for everything I want to do already...

But damn it, if I can get my little ideal scenario stated above, then I'm seriously taking a fresh look at my finances lol

15. MisterSavage macrumors 65816

MisterSavage

There's no Face ID needed to pay with the watch. Just click the button twice and hold the watch near the reader.

16. bryn0076 macrumors member

bryn0076

Our Steve, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name...

17. bryn0076 macrumors member

bryn0076

Take 2:

Our Steve, who is in heaven, hallowed is your name,
    Flash has gone, your will is done, on MacBook as on iPhone.
    Give us this day, our daily update, and forgive us our jailbreaks, As we forgive those who use Samsung.
    And lead us not towards Android, and those evil green bubbles.

for yours is the iPhone, Apple Watch and TV,
    For ever and ever,
    iMac

18. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Luckily I’m with Music so this is my life for almost 2 years now. :D (..with Podcasts added last year, and looking forward to audio books later this year)

19. apolloa, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019

apolloa macrumors G5

Haha Yeap, as you know I upgraded mine yesterday, but I’ve had my Series 1 for a year and a half and absolutely love it! I was reluctant to update but like you needed that ECG..
    I moan and complain about some things Apple does then go and defend or praise the Apple Watch!

I think it has become my most favourite Apple device. And the way it integrates with the health app is glorious!

I’m glad you like it so much :)

Yes I do like it, I liked the design as well since it first launched, I used to wear a stainless steel Tissot which I’ve kept, but it felt like wearing a block of solid granite on my wrist! I love the light weight of the Apple Watch.

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You didn’t understand @thizisweird post. They said.... ‘here’s what I’m looking in for a watch from Apple.’ Meaning, they would like to see certain features, but wasn’t referring to face ID the way you did.

21. thizisweird, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019

thizisweird macrumors member

thizisweird

That's nice and all..... but that isn't the same to me. I want my shiz purchased with more than a couple button presses. Face ID is basically your "security" measure (if you want to get real loose with that) on the X/Xr/etc.. Paying with the watch right now isn't really "protected" in any way. Am I worried someone will use my watch? No, but I also want Face ID to be my little gate between me and a purchase. That way I can lend my my watch to a select few people I know without also handing over my wallet and saying "yeah, by the way, don't buy anything with that" lol.

Honestly, the real thing I want is Face ID in the watch. I want that for some reason. But streaming with Tidal is also vitally important to me..... meh, I'll probably hope on the purchase wagon when Face ID is incorporated.

Tidal is my second pick, but it's free...... and I don't need another bill just to have what I want for a run. I'm almost always going to use my phone when streaming music otherwise. Especially considering I ride a motorcycle, and I have my phone in a RAM stem mount. I can theoretically browse and select music while flying down the road.

22. Akrapovic macrumors 6502a

Akrapovic

The Watch is security protected when you put it on. When you put the Watch on, it’s locked and won’t open (or do Apple Pay) without a PIN. You can bypass the PIN by using your phones FaceID. If you take the Watch off, it detects it off and is locked again.

I think if your lending your friend a $400 Watch then you obviously trust that person so probably shouldn’t be concerned with them purchasing anything. I don’t see there ever being an additional FaceID layer in there.

These security features can be turned off (just like a phones passcode).

23. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Why would you lend your watch to someone else? It’s paired to your phone and your iCloud account, email accounts, etc; it’ll receive your emails and messages and access to any other personal data... and you’re worried about credit card purchases?

Regardless of what security you put on the tap-to-pay system, I’m not sure I’d loan my watch to others. If you’re worried about having to tell them not to buy anything with it, then you should also be telling them not to snoop through your text messages.

24. thizisweird macrumors member

thizisweird

Pins are relatively easy to guess, so I would prefer Face ID. And I don't see why people feel the need to say "if you're gonna do this..." statements. It's my item to use as I please, so if I want to lend it out to someone... then why should anyone else care? Trusting someone with your watch is different than trusting them with your wallet. And "securing" your Apple Pay with a pin is pretty minimal at best.

I'll use my watch how I want, when I have it. I want what I want for my own set of reasons.

The judgement from the forums about what I would do with a watch is real up in here lmao

Can we please get back on topic?