Format an Unrecognized Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shrm03, Oct 15, 2009.

1. shrm03 macrumors member

I have a Seagate external hard drive that just stopped working one day (made a lot of clicks then disappeared from my laptop's desktop). When I plug it in to my PC or my Mac, it just makes the clicking sound and then nothing happens. It isn't recognized anywhere.

It is still under warranty so I am sending it back to Seagate. However, I'd like to format it before doing so. How would I do this without it being recognized with any computer? The data on the drive isn't that valuable, but let's just say there are some mp3s that I might not be able to prove that they were purchased legitimately. I don't want some crappy songs to come back and bite me in the rear end.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If it's clicking, the drive has failed. The only way for its contents to be read is to take it into a clean room and remove the platters, and I highly doubt Seagate cares enough about your MP3s to do so.

3. shrm03 thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm maybe I'll call them tomorrow and ask if they look at the data or if I need to find a way to format it before returning it.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If the drive has failed the way you describe, the only way to recover the data would be through a recovery service. It's expensive, and [as mentioned above] Seagate isn't going to bother doing anything with the platters.

If you're that concerned with the data on the drive, the only economical alternative at this point is to write off the drive and buy a new one. Then, you can destroy the drive yourself.

5. Zerozal macrumors 6502

If the drive is just clicking, you can't format it. It's dead. See Click of death.