Format and rejailbreak 3gs?

midnightdoom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
Ok so I want to format my phone and put the jailbreak back on. I've read up on pwnage tool and they say not to use with my firmware. Here's my info below. Let me know how to go about this. I don't care if I am on 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 after.

originally got my 3gs the first weekend it came out I now have the following installed
FW: 3.1.2 (7D11)
Carrier: Rogers 5.0
Modern FW: 05.11.07
Model(in info): MC 144C
Model(back of phone): A1303

jailbroken using blackrain. Is their any other needed info?

Pwnage tool says not to to it with both blackrain and 05.11.07
what do I do.

Main reason I want to do this is my friend some how always manages to get it into safemode and my battery has been draining real quick lately (was at 73% when I went to sleep and 19% when I woke up)

mreddys10

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
If it is currently jailbroken, you can use pwnage tool to create a custom firmware, then option-restore it. This will delete all previous data and settings on the phone. Another option is to restore it back to 3.1.2 (If you have your SHSH saved on cydia or manually), then use redsnow to jailbreak again.

There is no way to jailbreak your phone if you restore it to 3.1.3 though.

midnightdoom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
If it is currently jailbroken, you can use pwnage tool to create a custom firmware, then option-restore it. This will delete all previous data and settings on the phone. Another option is to restore it back to 3.1.2 (If you have your SHSH saved on cydia or manually), then use redsnow to jailbreak again.

Ok so at the top of cydia it says I have shsh on file for 3.1.2 and 3.1.3.
So now I use pwnage tool or do I just go to iTunes ?

midnightdoom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
What's better redsnow or blackrain. I been using rock your phone instead cydia cause it backs your apps for you. Does redsnow have rock. What's the differences between them

midnightdoom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
Yes, restoring your firmware will reset your passwords. It's like having a new phone.
Sweet. That's what I figured just wanted to make sure. So I did this today going shsh way n staying apple 3.1.2.
Rejailbreak with redsnow and I already know for sure it was good idea. My battery is working WAY better

I noticed there's a imei and iccid columns added to phone info page with numbers I haven't seen before. They are above my modern firmware column. What are these for?

mreddys10

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
I noticed there's a imei and iccid columns added to phone info page with numbers I haven't seen before. They are above my modern firmware column. What are these for?
IMEI is your phone's unique identification number. I am not sure about the ICCID though. They are always there. Maybe you dint notice them before.

luvu01

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2010

i have question for you. if i dont have 3.1.2 shsh saving. and im currently jailbreak and unlock both with blackrain. can i use pwnage tool to restore like u said ? if so when it when it asks me if i already pwned what will i choose yes or no?

mreddys10

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
i have question for you. if i dont have 3.1.2 shsh saving. and im currently jailbreak and unlock both with blackrain. can i use pwnage tool to restore like u said ? if so when it when it asks me if i already pwned what will i choose yes or no?
You have to select 'already pwned' when you create the custom firmware. The reason AppleJuiced is asking you if its tethered is because you can only restore to the custom firmware if you have the old bootrom (untethered). If you have a new bootrom (tethered), you are currently out of luck.

luvu01

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2010
You have to select 'already pwned' when you create the custom firmware. The reason AppleJuiced is asking you if its tethered is because you can only restore to the custom firmware if you have the old bootrom (untethered). If you have a new bootrom (tethered), you are currently out of luck.
i have old bootrom. And my friend has 3g can i still do the same

luvu01

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2010
Once you restore you lose all your data no matter what. You can then restore from backup to get your stuff back after your rejailbreak.
ok so you are saying that it is a orginal restore right but it can also re-jailbreak my phone? because i have problem with battery