Format new disk

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scraw, Dec 7, 2009.

1. scraw macrumors newbie

I am trying to install Tiger on a G3, 500mhz, 1gig ram that I was recently given and need to install a larger hard drive. I have the Tiger CD's and a 80 GB HD that was on a PC before.
    Since it only holds one HD how can I format it and install this OSX on this machine? Can the BIOS be set to boot from a CD?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

There's no BIOS on a Mac. But, the equivalent can boot to a CD by simply holding down the "C" key on startup. You can then run Disk Utility from the Utilities menu and change the partition map to Apple Partition Map (APM) and format the disk. Go to the "Partition tab", set the partition to "1 partition". Then click "Options..." to change the partition map to APM. Set the format to "Mac OS Extended (journaled)".

3. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

fit the HD in the machine, and run disk utility from the install disk, it should let you format the HD to HFS+ ;)

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

When you power on (boot) the Mac, you can hold the ALT key and select which source that you want to boot from, or you can hold down the C key to boot using the CD.

When you install the Mac OS, it will format the HD to HSF+. However, if you want to format yourself, then start from the install CD, when the process gets to the point a menu bar appears, you can select Disk Utilities, and then format the HD to HSF+.

5. scraw thread starter macrumors newbie

Can't get it to work

when I boot to the ALT key I get two arrows, one curved and one to the right. Clicking on either one does nothing. I have Tiger on 4 cd's. I don't think disk 1 is a boot CD. Because the C option doesn't work either. I have a book on Tiger but it explains nothing about this. Is there a good manual for us PC users to convert to Mac? Hopefully, one that explains all of this plus the workings of the machine?