Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Of course Jony would buy tools off of the Snap-On guy.
While some of the items are pretentious, IMHO, Snap-On tools are worth every penny. I have some that are older than I am that I inhereted from my dad, a master mechanic. Break one and Snap-On replaces it for free. My kids will get them at some point when they pry my cold dead fingers from them.

Are there less expensive high quality tools? Sure, I have plenty of Craftsman tools bought back in the Sears Made in USA days.

Quality tools last and in general are more satisfying to use. Does every weekend mechanic need to buy Snap-On? No, but if they can they will. I even look for them at yard sales.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan

Former Apple design chief Jony Ive, who still partners with Apple on products, has revealed his 12 must-have design tools for making, marking, measuring, and carrying with him every day.

jony-ive-ipad-pro.jpeg

The list appears in a special issue of Financial Times' "How to Spend It" magazine (paywalled), of which Ive is guest editor, and the designer uses the opportunity to put the focus on his obsession with "making."
  • Torque wrench — Snap-On adjustable torque wrench, £455
  • Tonearm — Linn titanium Ekos SE tonearm, $5,645, basilaudio.com
  • Hex Keys — Wiha colour-coded hex L-Key set, from $3.69
  • Paper folder — Paper folder, hwebber.co.uk
  • Measuring Tape — Hermès leather In The Pocket measuring tape, $530
  • Loupe — Vintage brass folding magnifier by Leitz Wetzlar, from Ive’s personal collection
  • Fountain pen — Vintage pen by Montegrappa, from Ive's personal collection
  • Eraser — Graf Von Faber-Castell platinum-plated eraser, £100, jacksonsart.com
  • Pencil case — Vintage leather pouch by Visvim, from Ive's personal collection
  • Protractor — Mitutoyo 6in universal bevel protractor, £264
  • Depth gauge — Starrett 440Z-3RL depth micrometer, $355
    Weather station — Wempe Navigator II ship’s clock and weather station, $1,960
Ive doesn't offer any explanation for what makes the list or what specific products they helped him design, but in a separate piece in which Ive and fellow LoveFrom designer Marc Newson talk about the equipment in their Cotswolds workshop, he opines:
Later in the conversation, Ive recalls how Newson helped him through the challenges he faced working on the Apple Watch, and how he "really struggled" with the physical design.
Ive co-founded LoveFrom with Newson in 2019 after leaving his position at Apple. At the time, the tech giant said it would remain one of Ive's primary clients, but which Apple products he has helped to design since then is unknown. Apple said Ive was involved in the design of the colorful 24-inch iMac released in April, but it's not clear if that work occurred after Ive left the company.

It remains unclear how many employees work for LoveFrom, but Ive recruited at least four of his former Apple colleagues to work with him at the firm, including Wan Si, Chris Wilson, Patch Kessler, and Jeff Tiller.

Article Link: Former Apple Design Chief Jony Ive Shares His 12 Favorite Tools of the Trade

How does a Tonearm help with making, marking and measuring design?

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I did think "wow - that is an expensive collection of things" but for someone like Jony Ive is it really? They are tools he can use for life, he is rich and he likes nice things. ?‍♂️?‍♂

Reactions: kc9hzn

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I used to work at a Kinko's back when I was in college. That bone paper folder thing sounds corny, but some of the more hard core people swore by them. You fold the paper lightly by hand as you normally would, but then lay it down on something flat and run that folder stick across it and you get an insanely sharp and clean fold. Not something most people ever need, but it's a nice tool to have if you have to fold stuff manually a lot.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
While I would never buy expensive as hell tools like this, I think a lot of people who are ******** on him forget that they too usually buy their favorite top of the line tools for their jobs. I splurge on my MacBook Pro every time I refresh it because it's my primary "tool of the trade".

People also forget how filthy rich Ive is so he can afford these splurges.

dmunz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2010
I used to work at a Kinko's back when I was in college. That bone paper folder thing sounds corny, but some of the more hard core people swore by them. You fold the paper lightly by hand as you normally would, but then lay it down on something flat and run that folder stick across it and you get an insanely sharp and clean fold. Not something most people ever need, but it's a nice tool to have if you have to fold stuff manually a lot.
Thank you for this. I was trying to understand what exactly that thing did.

For a brief moment, I had visions of the butler who irons and folds the morning news so it is perfectly creased for reading...

FWIW
DLM

Reactions: ignatius345

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
And the measuring tape is sold out. Damn, I’ll never be able to complete my collection now.

I do get it to a certain point, these are very important tools of the trade to him. Tools from Harbor Freight just aren’t the same. These bring a level of professionalism to the table that can’t be put in to words. With that said I’m sure there are many fine tape measures out there in the $299 bracket. ?

Finally, for some reason I get the feeling the tone arm is equivalent to the prosthetic leg Rocket needed in Guardians of the Galaxy.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
The super wealthy live without regard of cost. If they like something, they just buy it. No questions, or second thoughts.

Remember, Jony's net worth is $700-800 million.

A $500 tape measure is like 5 cents to him.
Should be measuring tapes for everyone...

What do he need hex keys for? Is there hex screws in Apple products?

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Of course Jony would buy tools off of the Snap-On guy.

They're excellent tools and manufactured in the United Sates. Their torque wrenches come from the factory calibrated with a Certificate of Calibration over a range of torque settings. And they can be sent back to the factory for periodic recalibration.

Would you expect him to purchase and use an off-brand measurement tool with a piece of paper in the box that says : "Passed by Fred" ?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.