Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
A $530 measuring tape... GTFOH.
I mean, it’s Hermes. I feel like Hermes is a bit form over function (and expensive for what you get), but I could see the advantage of having a tape measure with great in hand feel, and high quality leather could contribute to that in hand feel.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
Of course Jony would buy tools off of the Snap-On guy.
Despite knowing very little about tool brands, I know enough about tools to know that someone would point out (and mock) his use of Snap-On!

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
This guy clearly has expensive taste in just tools. probably other things too.

No wonder Macs are so Expensive.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
As someone who’s a bit of a fountain pen aficionado and who’s used jeweler’s loupes, I’m curious about these vintage ones from his collection more than I necessarily am about the contemporary products he uses.

The protractor and micrometer are certainly precision instruments, and you typically get more precision with more expensive instruments, so those prices don’t seem too far fetched to me. But that audio tonearm is the thing that makes me gawk more than anything else (also, I’m a little surprised he’s a record guy, and not one of these guys chasing high end reel to reel).

Calaveras

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2021
I'm glad to see Ive gone from Apple.
He may have had a hand in some great designs. But I really resent his elevation of form over function to the point that it makes computers harder to use.
EG:
I've used SD cards a lot in my work for years. Why on earth put SD card slots on a computer if you are going to put them in the least accessible place?
Same for headphone jacks.
I'll tell you why.
So you can stand 6 feet from the computer and look at it sitting on a nice Danish Modern desk set and admire how elegant it looks next to the rest of your Eames collection.
The newer Macbook Pros are a great example of a balance between form and function.
SD card slots! Different ports next to each other!
It still looks clean and elegant from the normal angle you use it from!
Who cares how cluttered the sides look?

Reactions: planteater

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
I'm glad to see Ive gone from Apple.
He may have had a hand in some great designs. But I really resent his elevation of form over function to the point that it makes computers harder to use.
EG:
I've used SD cards a lot in my work for years. Why on earth put SD card slots on a computer if you are going to put them in the least accessible place?
Same for headphone jacks.
I'll tell you why.
So you can stand 6 feet from the computer and look at it sitting on a nice Danish Modern desk set and admire how elegant it looks next to the rest of your Eames collection.
The newer Macbook Pros are a great example of a balance between form and function.
SD card slots! Different ports next to each other!
It still looks clean and elegant from the normal angle you use it from!
Who cares how cluttered the sides look?
I dunno. When it comes to SD cards, if you’re swapping them around a lot, that’s one thing. But, most of the time I’m using SD cards, I stick them into a computer for a bit, do something on them, then stick them in a device. And I usually have to use an external reader, anyway, as the SD card slot on my current laptop is only SDHC (and so many of the cards I end up using are SDXC). I’d reckon that my experience isn’t far from the norm, SD cards just aren’t something most people swap daily (let alone multiple times daily). If it’s a big enough issue, you could always use a USB SD reader with a long USB cable.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
The Hermes tape measure is just a leather wrapped Stanley. You can get it for $10 on Amazon:

It's not. Stanley is in imperial units, and the Hermes one is in metric. I've been trying to find a good metric tape for a while, and can't (meaning Lowes and Home Depot don't carry them, and the only one I liked off Amazon US wasn't even accurate). Not that I'm about to spend $530 on one.

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
And for only $49 you can have all of these shipped to you on a rental basis in massive hard-sided suitcases!

Sorry, couldn’t resist!

Reactions: elvisimprsntr

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
It's not. Stanley is in imperial units, and the Hermes one is in metric. I've been trying to find a good metric tape for a while, and can't (meaning Lowes and Home Depot don't carry them, and the only one I liked off Amazon US wasn't even accurate). Not that I'm about to spend $530 on one.
We've got plenty over here on this side of the Atlantic :)

Reactions: =Alb= and fc4090

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
thegentlemencolinfarrell2.jpeg

Mcckoe

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
What kind of list is this? Generally, you get whatever tool you need for your job… giving someone a list of things you use for job, when your a designer… is a weird thing to do… generally designing something is very dependent on industry… I worked as a fabric engineer for a while and i carried a thread counter with me at all times, for my job it was extremely important… not sure how often designers would need such a thing…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.