Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Michael Lopp, a former Apple employee who worked at the company for 8 years (left in 2010) has an interesting piece about :apple:Watch and how it's not a hobby (as compared to Apple TV). He also speculates on why Apple is doing multiple watches with different bands vs starting out with one watch and expanding from there. Interesting read.

http://randsinrepose.com/archives/not-a-hobby/

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Enjoyed the article. Thank you! I feel very much like his wife did, and I'm very excited to see this new watch.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I felt like I was watching 1985 arrive... not 2014.

His comparisons to phones or music players aren't very convincing. Newton-on-your-wrist?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Interesting he says Apple product refreshes are going to be a lot longer.

I say interesting as new tech like this, esp in it's early days now, moves lightning fast, as soon as you have finished one model, some new tech comes out that you would like to use in the next.

Apple may move at a multi year update speed, but you can bet to hell other brands are not going to do the same.

Personally I think there is a lot of junk being talked by people right now about the watch and people are still in awe of it.

bounou

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Interesting he says Apple product refreshes are going to be a lot longer.

Not really what he said.

What i understood is that the general refresh cycle for the watches are going to be longer, they might release a new watch every year but most people wont be on a yearly upgrade cycle, more like 3-5 years if not even longer.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Not really what he said.

What i understood is that the general refresh cycle for the watches are going to be longer, they might release a new watch every year but most people wont be on a yearly upgrade cycle, more like 3-5 years if not even longer.

Don't believe that.

Given any new tech/gadget makes it's biggest leaps in it's early days.
I'd suspect changes will be quick.

With phones, many are tied to a contract, they won't be tied to a watch.

We'll see, as I think there is a lot of wrong thinking going on and fantasy talk about the watch at the moment.

It could turn out to be an utter flop as people simply don't feel a need for one.

If the watch was a stand alone item and could replace a mobile, in a limited way I'd see it of more interest, than just an iPhone accessory.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Not really what he said.

Apple products retain a higher resale value and demand that most other electronics. I can see a $350 Sport have a resale value of at least $100 in a year. That amortizes to about 68¢ a day so why not get the new model?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Apple products retain a higher resale value and demand that most other electronics. I can see a $350 Sport have a resale value of at least $100 in a year. That amortizes to about 68¢ a day so why not get the new model?

It REALLY totally depends on the change between models.

If Watch v2 is 90% the same as v1 then v1 will still be almost as good and retain good value as there is little difference.

If v2, made v1 look like a total joke, faster, better battery, more sensors, etc, then who'd really want the v1 unless it was very cheap?

That why I question the slow update theory.
Items mature over the years. iPhone and iPads are starting to struggle to AMAZE with their improvements, and this will only increase as more years pass and they hit the physical wall of what's possible.

Watch is new, so it should have a good few years of good jumps before it hits walls and becomes a mature product.

odds

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2014
Los Angeles
Don't believe that.

Given any new tech/gadget makes it's biggest leaps in it's early days.
I'd suspect changes will be quick.

With phones, many are tied to a contract, they won't be tied to a watch.

We'll see, as I think there is a lot of wrong thinking going on and fantasy talk about the watch at the moment.

It could turn out to be an utter flop as people simply don't feel a need for one.

If the watch was a stand alone item and could replace a mobile, in a limited way I'd see it of more interest, than just an iPhone accessory.

The question is... Are you going to get one? :p

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
The question is... Are you going to get one? :p

Not a version 1 no.

I am very interested in the show, and the technology, and can see a great potential future.

As it stands, for me, the Apple watch is in the wrong place.

It's too complicated, and does too much to be cheap, long battery, thin, and just notify you about things and record information for use later.

It's too simple to be a stand alone device that anyone buy, own and use and just enjoy the device as they can an iPhone, iPad, iMac etc.

It's stuck in the wrong spot. An expensive iPhone accessory.

For me, and I feel others, it needs to get out of this spot, one way or the other. It's like it's trying to be both and failing to be either at the same time.

I'd take a totally wild guess and think that in time when tech allows it may become an independent device.

I mean, take Europe, a MASSIVE market, when the iPhone has a tiny market share in many places. That kills it for starters.

Evolve it to be independent, like, as I say an iPad is now, and usable for the vast majority of people around the world who perhaps own an Android Phone, or a PC computer and it would get more widespread.

Part of me feels Apple deliberately did this to limit volume to start with, and may open it up when they have a better feel for the device and if it flies, or if it dies as a mass consumer item.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.