Former Apple Employee Thinks Touch Bar Shouldn't Be Forced on Users Who Want Highest-End MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 28, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Chuq Von Rospach, a writer and former Apple employee, has penned a blog post in which he opines that customers shouldn't be forced to pay extra for the Touch Bar in order to have the highest-end MacBook Pro currently available.

[​IMG]
    In other words, Rospach believes Apple should sell a 15-inch MacBook Pro configuration without a Touch Bar, and he isn't the only one with that opinion. A quick check of Twitter reveals dozens of users who believe the Touch Bar is a gimmick.

After purchasing a new 5K iMac and migrating away from his late 2016 MacBook Pro, Rospach said he didn't miss the Touch Bar at all and missed the Touch ID fingerprint sensor only "a little bit," but "a lot less" than he expected to.
    Rospach thinks Apple needs to either expand Touch Bar and Touch ID to its entire Mac lineup with a new standalone keyboard, which would be compatible with iMac, Mac Pro, and Mac mini desktops, or expand its notebook lineup to include more models without the Touch Bar going forward.
    Beyond old models, the lowest-end 13-inch model is currently the only MacBook Pro with a standard row of function keys. It starts at $1,299.

Via: The Loop and Techmeme

Article Link: Former Apple Employee Thinks Touch Bar Shouldn't Be Forced on Users Who Want Highest-End MacBook Pro

2. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

3. nsimpson94 macrumors regular

What a Moaning Murtle — don’t use it. Does he really think Apple would lower the price if they didn’t have a Touch Bar?

4. Azadre macrumors 6502

I do not like the touch bar on my MBP15 and I dislike touch screens on laptops. Maybe I am just old.

5. mikeboss macrumors 65816

mikeboss

that is one of many reasons why I do have a spare MacBook Pro (Early 2015) still shrinkwrapped on my shelf...

6. brian3uk macrumors member

100% agree. I finally just set it to show the control keys all the time. The app tools are mostly useless and it's frustrating to always have to tap to open the control strip.

7. WilliamG macrumors 604

Rospach is opining that his Apple Watch does some of those things literally counterpoints his argument.

“You shouldn’t be forced to buy an Apple Watch!”

:D

I think the Touch Bar is amazing. Hell, just for scrubbing through YouTube videos it’s a joy.

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I love it every time I try the touchbar at an Apple store.

It's a bit useless in Safari, but the quick access to shortcuts in Word and Excel are awesome. I'm no expert in photo or video editing, but I bet having quick access to shortcuts and commonly used tools in the touchbar is great too.

And TouchID to unlock is the cherry on top.

The only downside I can see is not having a physical escape key, which is important to some text-based editors.

9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

If you are getting a maxed out Macbook Pro, I recommend the iMac Pro instead and you won't have the control strip and you will be happier.

10. v1597psh macrumors regular

v1597psh

Incorrect. 13" non TocuhBar has been discontinued and now there is only a 15" MacBook Pro Mid 2015 without the touch bar from $1999

11. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

12. Blizzardman macrumors regular

I actually find it quite useful when I use BetterTouchTool to have easy view of widgets no matter what app I am using or while I am in fullscreen.

13. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

14. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Alternate headline:

Guy who quit Apple 11 years ago has thoughts on a computer.

15. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

I think it's pretty useful compared to dumb keys. I wasn't a fan at first. I would like to see forced touch on the keys. Touch ID is brilliant but I expect Apple will be moving away from it soon enough.

16. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

17. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

I wonder how much the touchbar adds to the total price, and if it's a large enough difference, why they don't simply just sell a non-touch top-end Macbook with an argueably-more useful Watch as a bundle.

18. mikeboss macrumors 65816

mikeboss

huh? 13" without Tuch Bar shows up in the Apple Store for me...

19. Böhme417 macrumors 6502

You would be the incorrect one.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro

20. LucyLouie macrumors newbie

I don't hate it, but I sure don't love it and could definitely and would prefer to live without it. It only adds to my frustration that I bought the maxed-out 2016 in December and then the "new and improved" one appeared six months later. Such is life, I know. Kicking myself for being so stupid to jump on it right at the outset. At least I admit my own mistakes? ha

A choice between the two would be nice when CTO, but I suppose that would only kill their *revolutionary* idea off faster than it will go otherwise. Oh well, back to work, emoji face staring at me from the keyboard.

21. seanjs macrumors member

seanjs

The touch bar would be way better if it had haptic feedback. They already know how to do this well with the new home button on the iPhone 7 and trackpads on the Mac. In most cases, the bar is used for context button, so why not make it *feel* like a button?

22. Nozuka macrumors 65816

Maybe they just havent found a secure enough way yet, to use touchID over USB/wireless keyboard. And there are battery concerns for the wireless version too.

23. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

I like the touch bar. Worst case, Apple could just put the physical function row back and put the Touch Bar above that (trackpad would have to shrink slightly on the 13" though). But I agree it's a feature that should be available across the Mac line. Makes no sense for the iMac (their current desktop "pro mac" in a sense) to lack the feature at this point.

24. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

Add haptic feedback, two entire lines with and without it, and lower price a little.

Only thing is haters will still complain just because it doesn’t fit their own use case.