Former HBO CEO Richard Plepler Inks Five-Year Apple TV+ Production Deal

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Former HBO CEO and chairman Richard Plepler has signed a five year deal with Apple to produce content for Apple TV+, reports The New York Times.

Under the terms of the deal, Plepler's newly formed company, Eden Productions, will make TV shows, documentaries, and films exclusively for the Apple TV+ streaming service.

Image via The New York Times​

Plepler worked at HBO for 27 years before leaving in February 2019, eight months after AT&T became its owner, and under his leadership, HBO had hits like "Game of Thrones" and "Big Little Lies."

Rumors of talks between Plepler and Apple first surfaced in November, with Plepler making it clear at the time that he did not want to return to TV as an executive, but instead wanted to take on a new role as a producer.

In today's article from The New York Times, Plepler explained why he didn't want to continue working as a TV executive:
"It was instantaneously clear to me that I had a wonderful and very privileged run at HBO and I wasn't going to be able to duplicate that again," Mr. Plepler said in his first interview since leaving the network. "And I didn't want to try to duplicate that again. It felt very clear to me that I just wanted to do my own thing."
Plepler was drawn to Apple because he has been a "longtime admirer" of Eddy Cue, who runs Apple's software and services, including overseeing Apple's TV division. Cue got in touch right after Plepler left HBO and invited Plepler to "talk" when things settled after his departure.

According to Plepler, he had conversations with multiple people about his next step, but his only "serious" talks were with Apple. Apple TV+ is new enough, said Plepler, that he felt he could "make a little contribution there."

Zack Van Amburg and Jamie Erlicht, the two Eddy Cue hires who run Apple's TV business, will work with Plepler. Van Amburg said that he's looking forward to seeing Plepler "thrive" at Apple.

Along with Plepler, Apple has signed production deals with multiple companies, including A24, Imagine Documentaries, and Oprah Winfrey, plus it has established deals with producers and directors like Jason Katims, Alfonso Cuaron, and Justin Lin.

Article Link: Former HBO CEO Richard Plepler Inks Five-Year Apple TV+ Production Deal

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
Doubling down. Apple can afford to lose money and play the long game. So it would appear that Apple is more concerned about Amazon Prime than Netflix possibly? Apple might as well compete in this space since all the cool kids are doing it...

Reactions: Tapiture

DotCom2

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2009

Former HBO CEO and chairman Richard Plepler has signed a five year deal with Apple to produce content for Apple TV+, reports The New York Times.

Under the terms of the deal, Plepler's newly formed company, Eden Productions, will make TV shows, documentaries, and films exclusively for the Apple TV+ streaming service.

Image via The New York Times

Plepler worked at HBO for 27 years before leaving in February 2019, eight months after AT&T became its owner, and under his leadership, HBO had hits like "Game of Thrones" and "Big Little Lies."

Rumors of talks between Plepler and Apple first surfaced in November, with Plepler making it clear at the time that he did not want to return to TV as an executive, but instead wanted to take on a new role as a producer.

In today's article from The New York Times, Plepler explained why he didn't want to continue working as a TV executive: Plepler was drawn to Apple because he has been a "longtime admirer" of Eddy Cue, who runs Apple's software and services, including overseeing Apple's TV division. Cue got in touch right after Plepler left HBO and invited Plepler to "talk" when things settled after his departure.

According to Plepler, he had conversations with multiple people about his next step, but his only "serious" talks were with Apple. Apple TV+ is new enough, said Plepler, that he felt he could "make a little contribution there."

Zack Van Amburg and Jamie Erlicht, the two Eddy Cue hires who run Apple's TV business, will work with Plepler. Van Amburg said that he's looking forward to seeing Plepler "thrive" at Apple.

Along with Plepler, Apple has signed production deals with multiple companies, including A24, Imagine Documentaries, and Oprah Winfrey, plus it has established deals with producers and directors like Jason Katims, Alfonso Cuaron, and Justin Lin.

Article Link: Former HBO CEO Richard Plepler Inks Five-Year Apple TV+ Production Deal
WHOA! This is BIG!

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
Until they release an Apple TV+ app for more devices it won't really matter. I want to watch shows on my big TV with great sound and I shouldn't have to buy a $200 apple TV device to do it. And I doubt many people will just for this use. So when I get home and I want to watch a show, my options are to stare at a small phone screen with headphones in, or fire up the TV and watch Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime... all services that realized that they needed apps for every device.

Mdracer

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2016
I am so happy.

Now that is going to add some real value to my free year of Apple TV+.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Until they release an Apple TV+ app for more devices it won't really matter. I want to watch shows on my big TV with great sound and I shouldn't have to buy a $200 apple TV device to do it. And I doubt many people will just for this use. So when I get home and I wan't to watch a show, my options are to stare at a small phone screen with headphones in, or fire up the TV and watch Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime... all services that realized that they needed apps for every device.
None of which offer a Gaming Platform integrated, dedicated applications other than watching your movies/shows on your tv, etc. The AppleTV is also a hub.

Heelpir8

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2019
Until they release an Apple TV+ app for more devices it won't really matter. I want to watch shows on my big TV with great sound and I shouldn't have to buy a $200 apple TV device to do it. And I doubt many people will just for this use. So when I get home and I want to watch a show, my options are to stare at a small phone screen with headphones in, or fire up the TV and watch Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime... all services that realized that they needed apps for every device.
What devices are you waiting for an Apple TV app on? I enjoy Apple TV+ on the official Apple TV Roku app.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
You don’t have a smart TV? My cheap 4K TCL Roku TV has the Apple TV+ app. I hardly ever use my Apple TV box anymore.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
You don’t have a smart TV? My cheap 4K TCL Roku TV has the Apple TV+ app. I hardly ever use my Apple TV box anymore.
I have a new Sony smart TV just before they decided to include airplay. So no, not going to spend extra money to watch another streaming service when all other services have multi-platform compatibility.
- - Post merged: - -

None of which offer a Gaming Platform integrated, dedicated applications other than watching your movies/shows on your tv, etc. The AppleTV is also a hub.
Why would I want to game on that thing? I have an Xbox One X and a full Gaming PC for that.
- - Post merged: - -

What devices are you waiting for an Apple TV app on? I enjoy Apple TV+ on the official Apple TV Roku app.
Xbox One app, Android TV app and Amazon Firestick app so that I can watch it on any device in my house.

Reactions: Marekul

Peepo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
New 40" Vizio TV I just bought doesn't have AppleTV+ or DisneyPlus apps yet (they promise LOL), but can support Airplay 2 meanwhile. Don't really care because that's in the spare room.

Reactions: jbachandouris

bladerunner2000

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2015
SmartTVs are still pretty dumb TV's, their user interfaces are always laggy, ugly and have a short lifespan considering support for them is typically limited to a couple years.

Just get a proper streaming device like an Nvidia Shield TV, Amazon Fire Stick 4k or at least an Apple TV.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
SmartTVs are still pretty dumb TV's, their user interfaces are always laggy, ugly and have a short lifespan considering support for them is typically limited to a couple years.

Just get a proper streaming device like an Nvidia Shield TV, Amazon Fire Stick 4k or at least an Apple TV.
My Sony is extremely fast, and I use my Xbox One X for most things anyways. It's ridiculous that Apple hasn't released an App to stream their services to these devices yet.

Alan Wynn

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2017
Until they release an Apple TV+ app for more devices it won't really matter.
Guess that depends on how one defines “matter.” Apple’s goal seems to be to enhance their ecosystem.

I want to watch shows on my big TV with great sound and I shouldn't have to buy a $200 apple TV device to do it.
You do not need to buy a $170 AppleTV to get TV+ content. You can get it on a set of Samsung TV’s (granted you will not get Dolby Vision), almost every RokuTV (and streaming device) and some of the FireTvs. But if you really care about picture and sound quality, you probably want to get an AppleTV or the high end FireStick, so you have Dolby Vision and Atomos.

And I doubt many people will just for this use. So when I get home and I want to watch a show, my options are to stare at a small phone screen with headphones in, or fire up the TV and watch Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime... all services that realized that they needed apps for every device.
Most TVs sold over the last year or two have the AppleTV app, and/or now support AirPlay 2, meaning that you can stream directly from your Apple device to your TV. Most anyone in the Apple ecosystem can easily view this content one way or another.

PC_tech

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2019
My new Samsung 43in has Apple TV+built into the interface, quite shocked to find it there along with Netflix, etc.

Larryzuluking

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2015
?.........Admit it. U just came here to hate on any thing Apple, didn’t u. LOL, if u did any research, even a simple google search u would have known that the Apple TV app is on tones of devices, Smart TVs, Roku TV, as well as your beloved Amazon fire Stick, & TV. The only reason u mentioned the Fire TV stick in your comments below, is because u probably thought it was one of the only devices that didn’t have the Apple TV + app, LOL. Your whole comment just has angry hater written all over it. Where do people like u even come from....😒 it’s a shame really.

jbachandouris

macrumors 601
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Ok. So they signed him. So what? That is not going to help us THIS year. Even if he started a project immediately, which he won't, odds are that nothing will be ready before end of the year.

Herrpod

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2019
Playstation 4, Xbox One would be nice. If they want this service to ever be a success, it needs to be everywhere Netflix, Hulu, Amazon etc are.

CWallace

macrumors 604
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Ok. So they signed him. So what? That is not going to help us THIS year. Even if he started a project immediately, which he won't, odds are that nothing will be ready before end of the year.
As others have noted, this is part of Apple's long-term strategy to create enough content to make the service more compelling to potential customers and to keep existing customers subscribed.

Apple does not have the decades of self-owned content that the network and studio streaming services have available to them and they do not appear to be following Netflix and Amazon in just buying third-party content to pad out their own productions (likely because it is becoming harder to license as the networks and studios pull it back to be part of their own streaming services).

Reactions: mech986