Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
I sold my 64gb 3G. Before I sold it, I chose the option to cancel the unlimited service 'now' with the 60-day option to restore the service.

If I were to buy an iPad in that 60-day period, would I still be able to use the unlimited service, even though it's after June 7th?

I was under the perception that I would be able to re-purchase the device later and still have the option to use unlimited 3G. This was before AT&T did the old bait and switch.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
My guess would be no, as your prior account was associated with the IMEI on the SIM card in your old iPad.

Just a guess though. Maybe they associate your account w/ your billing info?

Have you tried calling AT&T? I haven't seen this situation mentioned in any of the PR stuff.

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Alright.

I called Apple and they said I should be good. I'm hoping that's the case.

Thanks.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Alright.

I called Apple and they said I should be good. I'm hoping that's the case.

Thanks.

Depends on whom you talked to. If you talked with the first CSR that picked up the phone I would not bet my first born on the accuracy of the response. In fact, on this issue I'm not sure anyone at Apple has the correct answer. Maybe...maybe (don't hold your breath) someone at ATT has an answer you can safely rely on. After all ATT is the service provider. Apple is kinda out of the loop on this one, or at least acting like it.

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
I just spoke to Apple's Customer Service and they say it is indeed based on the account, so I'm in the clear.

Some kind, brave soul out there should go around to prospective iPad 3G owners who want the unlimited option and allow them to create an account and just cancel it there on the spot. Then, the onus would be on the potential owners to secure a 3G in the allotted 60 day period.

Maybe the display iPads at the Apple Store will allow for this option.

One wonders.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Followup question. Does activating your iPad 3G before the 7th allow you to change to it at some future point? Even if, when I got it, I just signed up for the 250MB plan to see how much I would be using it?

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Changing service plan after june7 will give you 2 plan options, both capped, one at 250mb and one at 2gb. No matter what you are currently set up on. Well I don't know about a 60day option. Seems like most options Concerning the unlimited plan are off.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Specifically which account needs to be created?

I ordered my 3G ipad on June 1 using my iTunes/apple id/account and have had my iPhone over a year.

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Specifically which account needs to be created?

I ordered my 3G ipad on June 1 using my iTunes/apple id/account and have had my iPhone over a year.
The account through the iPad before 3G service is to be activated. Namely, one that asks for your e-mail and password. Then, one must purchase the unlimited service with their credit card for 29.99.

The 60-day option comes into play when one wants to cancel their service for the month. Two options are given: to cancel and delete the account or to cancel with the option of restoring service within a 60-day period, which, if not restored, will lead to the deletion of the account.

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
I sold my 64gb 3G. Before I sold it, I chose the option to cancel the unlimited service 'now' with the 60-day option to restore the service.

If I were to buy an iPad in that 60-day period, would I still be able to use the unlimited service, even though it's after June 7th?

I was under the perception that I would be able to re-purchase the device later and still have the option to use unlimited 3G. This was before AT&T did the old bait and switch.

A bit off topic but I have to ask, why does it matter to you? If you bought it and sold it already, I'm assuming you did so cause you didn't like it or didn't work for you.

Are you just curious, having remorse over sellingnit, or what?

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
To the posters above:

It matters because I was under the assumption that unlimited would always be the case. That's what was in the marketing. One of it's major selling points.

It was always my intention to buy the 3G again. I'm not getting a 64 as I've learned I don't really need that much space. I'll probably go with the 32.

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Let's face it: unless AT&T or Apple comes out with a very specific statement, no one will know what happens if you cancel your unlimited account and try to renew.

SugarMouth

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2010
I am pissed! Had I known this I would have bought a WiFi only and tethered it to my Android!

I specifically bought the 3G model because of the unlimited plan. BAIT AND SWITCH! Very bad business!

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
The account through the iPad before 3G service is to be activated. Namely, one that asks for your e-mail and password. Then, one must purchase the unlimited service with their credit card for 29.99.

The 60-day option comes into play when one wants to cancel their service for the month. Two options are given: to cancel and delete the account or to cancel with the option of restoring service within a 60-day period, which, if not restored, will lead to the deletion of the account.

I don't Know where this 60-day information comes from, whether it is just something that someone supposedly said, or whether it is posted on on an AT&T website. If that is that case, are you saying that you could have unlimited for one month, stop it after 1 month and then have 60 days to restart it?

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
I don't Know where this 60-day information comes from, whether it is just something that someone supposedly said, or whether it is posted on on an AT&T website. If that is that case, are you saying that you could have unlimited for one month, stop it after 1 month and then have 60 days to restart it?
That is essentially what I'm saying. The 60-day information comes from the iPad. No matter which plan you purchase, there are always two cancellation options: One to cancel and delete the account; another to cancel with the account still active up until 60 days after cancellation, with the ability to start the plan back up again within that time period. If the plan isn't restored, the account is deleted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.