Fortnightly Challenge April 28 - May 11 : Perspective

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Designer Dale, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

The purpose of the Challenge is to provide a venue where photographers of all skill levels can work to improve their craft by shooting along a common topic for two weeks - one fortnight. Helpful comments and critiques are key to reaching the intended goal - better photography.

About Your Photos

Shoot for the topics listed on the schedule. You may shoot for upcoming topics, but post photos only to their matching Challenges.

You may post as many photos as you wish for any one Challenge.

About Your Comments

Comments are critical to the success of the Challenge. If you post a photo, add a comment to another one. If you are only viewing, please add your comments, too.

Comments should be meaningful, something that the photographer can use to improve his/her work. Explain why you like or dislike a photo. Spend a moment looking at a photo before commenting on it. Try to answer the question "I like this photo because…" It really helps the photographer.

The Topic Schedule

Patterns: March 30 - April 12

Environmental Portraits: April 13 - April 27

Perspective: April 28 - May 11

Dale

2. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Here's one to get things started. Taken at Pacific Lutheran University in Parkland, WA.

[​IMG]
    EXIF Summary: 1/125s f/5.6 ISO100 Kit lens@18mm

Dale

3. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

^^^Very nice Dale. The angle of the photo not only gives it a different perspective from look of the edifice but lends majesty. Here is a photo I took with my former T1i on a different perspective of one of the Oregon coast light houses:

[​IMG]

Sorry if this seems more of a copy-cat image, but when I saw yours I immediately thought of this one.

4. dslade09 macrumors member

4X4 Ford F250
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. jabbott macrumors 6502

[​IMG]
    Canon 7D with 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
    1/50s, f/2.8, 28mm, ISO 500
    Canon Rebel T2i + 24-70mm f/2.8L USM

6. Keleko macrumors 68000

7. picandfire251 macrumors newbie

Took this today at a car show. I like the B&W over the color version, it is a Lamborghini.
    <untitled>.jpg

8. pakyooh macrumors 6502

pakyooh

9. stradale33 macrumors member

stradale33

10. stradale33 macrumors member

stradale33

Love this one, full of concentration, yet looking relaxed at the same time.

11. Keleko macrumors 68000

It doesn't seem that copy-cat to me. Very different subjects with a similar perspective. I kind of wish you'd gotten the whole bottom of the lower window, though. But, I like trying to take different shots of lighthouses. They get photographed a lot, and trying to find a fresh take on them is difficult.

Here's the last lighthouse picture I took. I went for a minimalist view of it with this framing. And it is much more of a copy-cat photo. :)

[​IMG]

12. Hurd111 macrumors member

Not all that creative I know :rolleyes:

I'll try to get something more interesting this afternoon.

[​IMG]

13. picandfire251 macrumors newbie

Similar to the one above, taken last year.

branch over water.jpg

ISO 200
    F/stop 6.3
    1/640 shutter speed
    190mm

14. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Cloisters, NYC

[​IMG]

Leica M6TTL, Voigtlander 21mm, Ilford XP2 Super film

15. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

I think it's pretty creative. The light is spectacular. I more interesting subject on the branch might make it even better like a bug or a butterfly but I love the feel of it.

16. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

That is wonderful. Love the perspective with the gnarly trees (or whatever they are). I might would try to clip a little off the left side while still keeping everything centered and a little more contrast in the upper part of the building. An ominous sky would be perfect.

17. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

There's something missing here. It needs something more than the water as the background and the perspective could be a bit tighter and longer if that makes sense. It's a cool idea but it's basically a picture of a limb over the water.

18. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Thanks very much! Yeah, those tree branches in the upper left are an eyesore and should have been dealt with. It was a "cloudy bright" day that day. I put a request in for a roiling sky, but there was some sort of processing delay. :)

19. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Nice take on the topic. I like the extreme of perspective and the good use of a shallow DOF. What was your "other camera"?

Very nice framing. You put the child's face exactly in the top left quadrant of that "Rule of Thirds" thing. Nice capture of concentration and stuff like that.

Let's see...model train cars on a wall shelf? Nice subject, but I want to see more of the train cars. They are the subject (to me). Move in closer and exaggerate the angle of view more if possible. If these are indeed models, then you may be limited by the size of them. You would need a lens that can focus really close to do what I have in mind.

Shots like this will really challenge the metering abilities of the best cameras. It's caught between metering for the bright sky and the deep shadow of the alley and doesn't get either right. A cloudy day would help this shot. You could meter for the shadows without having the sky blow out like here. If you have the RAW file for this and an editor like Aperture, LightRoom or PhotoShop, you could bring up the shadows without affecting the highlights. Nice subject and composition, but I can't really see what's down in there.

Nice bit of framing. I like the bare branches leading up the frame to the tower. The sepia treatment goes very well with this shot.

Nice work from everyone. Keep the photos coming.:)

Dale

20. Spacer macrumors member

Here's mine taken last night in the setting sun (just before we had a shout). I just thought it was an usual angle!

[​IMG]

I absolutely love this shot! It's just the perfect show of perspective!

[​IMG]

21. jabbott macrumors 6502

My daily shooter is a Canon Rebel T2i. I was lucky enough to have a friend who recently acquired a 7D and was nice enough to let me borrow it and a 24-105L for the weekend. :D

johnnj, I like your photo a lot. It has a very nice contrast from top to bottom. I like Hurd111's photo as well -- the perspective and DOF seem to match what the human eye would do if it were looking closely at a tree branch. The narrow DOF makes me wonder what else is around in the rest of the scene. Nice effect!

22. stradale33 macrumors member

stradale33

Thanks for the feedback Dale,

I took the photo last year while in London for a week with a iPhone - so no RAW file! But since then I have gotten a G11 and am making an effort to shoot in RAW and set things up manually (rather then just setting it to Auto). So am on a bit of a learning curve working out how to set up shots and edit later on, so thanks again for the constructive criticism.

Cheers
    Joel

23. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Here's another perspectivish photo.

Leica M3 w/ 50 cron

[​IMG]

Thanks for the comments on my other photo!

24. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Hi, folks.

Now that Spring is at least trying to get here, some people spend more time outside on the weekend, so I have this question...

Should the discussion for the next set of topics be Fri-Sat-Sun with voting running Mon-Tues-Wed with the next Challenge starting on the 12? More time for discuss and less for voting?

Post here or send me a PM.

Dale

25. FooTing macrumors newbie

Lethbridge Viaduct

viaduct.jpg
    My first photo post.
    Fully loaded train cars 300 feet above. More details here.
    Sony Cybershot, 5.35 focal length, f7.1, 1/640