Fortnightly Challenge - March 19 thru April 1 - Topic: Organic

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JohnMC, Mar 19, 2010.

1. JohnMC macrumors 6502

Fortnightly Challenge - March 19 thru April 1

Challenge topic(s): Organic

The challenge will run from right now until : 11:59PM April 1

Be sure to visit and post your images in our Flickr group.

Rules:
    1. Photos should be your own work.
    2. Produced within the challenge period if possible.
    3. All positive feedback and criticism is encouraged and welcome if you posted or not.
    4. There is no real limit to the number of photos you may enter.

Challenge topics:
    1. Suggestions for the bi-weekly's challenge are made in a single thread which will be set up the week before.

Lets have fun!!!

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Taken yesterday with my new lens. This has so many possibilities...

[​IMG]
    EXIF Summary: 1/80s f/8.0 ISO100 Tamron 28-75 f/2.8@44mm

Dale

3. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

Congrats on the new toy. Sorry, I meant lens. :D:D:D

The quality of this image is really nice. Overall it is a bit dark for me. I would also like to see a little less DOF. The background growth on the right is in focus enough to be a distractor.

4. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

Love the first image Dale, really get a sense of size. I feel the Tree's strength and it's age.

5. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

^^It's a great lens Dale.

Started using my 50mm lately, never really used it as I had a back focus problem that was very evident at wide apertures, now that it's fixed I'm starting to use it a bit more...

[​IMG]
    Pentax K10D - 1/4000s - f/2.4 - ISO280 - 50mm (75mm equiv)

6. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

I did the early spring chemicals for my pool this morning. I thought I would be able to get some shots of "biological debris." Fortunately, the pool looks really good so no blanket of worms.

This is an anaconda skin.

Attached Files:

7. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Very nice. I like the lighting.

8. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

I've been playing with my 50mm and very large apertures recently. It's not really working out the way I'd like it but I kind of like the fact that it looks a bit like a painting.

Attached Files:

9. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

The soft focus does give it the look of a painting. It's interesting. What were you hoping for?

10. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Thanks. I'll go back to this one when the3 next weather break comes around. I didn't think it would have the impact that it does. I want to work on my tripod thing. I can see a dragon eye if I go portrait.

Dale

11. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Sorry to drop this in open forum but I just got the pm about what happened to Phrasikleia and wondered what we could do. I'm out today - here is her photo page http://www.megethos.com/gallery/ShutterBugBites can't see anything obvious to contact her with. Any thoughts?

12. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

Hi, don't know what you're talking about. But have you tried using the whois info of her website? PM me if you don't know what I mean.

I hope nothing serious has happened to her, love reading and seeing her contributions to the forum.

13. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

I was hoping that the flower would be sharp but isolated from the everything else. I like the bokeh, just want the flower sharper. I think I'm at my skill limits on trying to get that out of my 50mm.

Here's another one of the same type....

Attached Files:

14. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

I think this is closer to what you want. The focus still looks a bit soft. There is a lot of dark/negative space that I think detracts from the image. I took the liberty of cropping it a little to place greater emphasis on the flower.

Ya know............. It just might be time to get some new glass. :)

Attached Files:

15. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

Isn't it amazing how the orientation of the frame can make such a powerful difference in an image. It is one of the mysteries of how our brain organically interprets information.

16. macrumormonger macrumors 6502

Great sharpness. I'm gonna go see what that lens is about.

17. macrumormonger macrumors 6502

Gaudi's Sagrada is an example of organic architecture. These columns were suppose to resemble tree trunks.

[​IMG]
    Camera: Canon PowerShot G10
    Exposure: 0.017 sec (1/60)
    Aperture: f/2.8
    Focal Length: 6.1 mm
    ISO Speed: 160
    Exposure Bias: 0 EV
    Flash: Off, Did not fire

18. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I don't have access to the original currently, thus this will have to do for now. I'll update some time in the future with larger image and exif if it hasn't been lost.

[​IMG]

19. Chiggs macrumors member

All you need is Love

I took this while hiking around 17 Mile Drive in Monterey Bay a couple of summers ago. This is my first post in these picture forums - I'm an absolute beginner having fun while I learn !!

Attached Files:

• Love.jpg
      Love.jpg
      File size:
      696.5 KB
      Views:
  20. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

A lot of great images come out of this. There is no opportunity to over think things, you just shoot.

21. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

Extremely cool. I love everything about this (except for the scaffolding. How dare they have had it there when you wanted tp shoot this!!!!!! :D:D:D)

22. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

Keep coming and keep posting. We are all here to learn. We are pretty much to the point with our C&C, so please don't take any offense at any of the feedback.

This is an interesting find. I am wondering what it's all about and who put those artifacts there. The image itself has a lot of potential. What you posted feels flat to me. I reworked the color and lighting a bit. I adjusted the color levels to bring out their richness and some of the texture. I have attached that version. I also think the composition could be improved. It's important to pay attention to movement within an image. That is, does the composition pull your eye somewhere? If you look at macrumormonger's image you'll notice that your eye falls on the darker area at the top of the frame but is then drawn through the brighter areas. Once there, the roof line and pillars continue to carry the eye through the rest of the image. In your image, I would have framed this to bring in more of the foreground sand. The rock is a static element. More sand would create the sense of moving toward the artifacts. Shooting this as a vertical image would do that.

Attached Files:

23. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Hanging on...

It seems all I'm surrounded by is green... and organic. ;) I went on a walk with only one lens, a 300mm f/4, to force myself to see things differently. With a pack of dogs full of excitement and up to their usual exploring antics, and an environment with lots of movement everywhere--it was hard to really find any perspective that would fit the world I was in (with a 450mm equivalent stuck on the front of my camera.) Lots of stuff was at close quarters, little wide-open spaces to give the lens room to breath... but slowly I began noticing the ordinary little details... often so easily overlooked.

Fern growing from moss on the side of an alder tree on my place in the Oregon coast range.

[​IMG]

Camera: Nikon D300 w/ 300mm f/4 AF-ED
    ISO: 800
    Exposure: 1/800 sec
    Aperture: f/4
    Exp. comp: -1 stop

24. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Dried marsh grass showing a lot of personality.

[​IMG]
    EXIF Summary: 1/500s f/5.6 ISO100 Tamron 28-300VC@30mm

Dale