Fortnightly Challenge March 22-April 11 : Weather

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Designer Dale, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Welcome to the Fortnightly Challenge

The purpose of the Challenge is to provide a venue where photographers of all skill levels can work to improve their craft by shooting along a common topic for two weeks - one fortnight. Helpful comments and critiques are key to reaching the intended goal - better photography.

About Your Photos

Shoot for the topics listed on the schedule. You may shoot for upcoming topics, but post photos only to their matching Challenges. Try to avoid using photos from your archives just for participations sake. If you really want input on an older image that fits the Challenge topic, please let us see it.

You may post as many photos as you wish for any one Challenge.

About Your Comments

Comments are critical to the success of the Challenge. If you post a photo, add a comment to another one. If you are only viewing, please add your comments, too.

Comments should be meaningful, something that the photographer can use to improve his/her work. Explain why you like or dislike a photo. Spend a moment looking at a photo before commenting on it. Try to answer the question "I like this photo because…" It really helps the photographer.

Note: This is a special edition of the Fortnightly Challenge. Topics based on accepted photography guidelines will be supplemented with user suggested topics. For more on the basic rules of good photography look at this link:

10 Top Photography Composition Rules

The Topic Schedule

• Cropping March 8 - 21[/B]
    • Weather March 22 - April 11
      [*]Framing April 12 - 25

Dale

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I'll set the ball rolling.

Some awesome weather at the moment here in the UK. This is just as I finished my lunch break in London.

[​IMG]

3. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Nice composition. The weather around here in Washington State tends to be either full overcast or clear blue skies. I like the contrasts that the clouds present. It's a bit lacking in detail in the shadows, though, maybe a bit of fill light in post might help?

Dale

4. butch10x macrumors regular

5. r.j.s, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

6. someoldguy macrumors 65816

The weather is supposed to be nice here for the next week at least , so here's one from when it wasn't so nice ..... c&c appreciated .

[​IMG]

5D , 24-105@105 , f4.5@1/50 , iso 640

7. Eolian, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

Eolian macrumors regular

The streaking rain drops are great here ... nicely caught :) The background lighting conveys this might be a passing shower (?) Are you indoors?

Here's my offering, from earlier this week:

[​IMG]

There's a brief story here - I took this just minutes after capturing the "orchard" shot that I posted in the Photo of The Day thread last night. I was very fortunate to come across that scene ... I was traveling in some unfamiliar hilly terrain, and keeping a keen eye on the sky as I noticed the powerful weather moving in overhead. As things really began to develop, I was quite lucky to find an exit off the highway that said "Apex Orchard, 1 mile." I had time for a diversion and as I got to the crest I had about 5 minutes of just spectacular light there before the sky completely closed over. Rain came quickly and caught me outside, and as I sat in the car drying off I noticed these tiny ice pellets beginning to slide down the windshield and pile up. All in all, it was a good day to have the camera on hand.

8. imac wannabe macrumors regular

Wide Angle Rainbow

Funny thing is we didn't realize this was happening..my youngest son nonchalantly said "Hey look a double rainbow." Luckily we looked:eek:

Please click for "full size". The original is nearly 10000 pixels wide!

Sorry for double post but this also fit the weekly challenge of "go wide"

Attached Files:

9. Rich-212 macrumors member

Another Rainbow

Not as good as ^^^ but I liked the splash of colour against an otherwise miserable sky

Attached Files:

10. someoldguy macrumors 65816

Thanks ... I was under a thatch roofed porch , which is where the rain in the foreground were running off of . This was taken in Belize , near the Guatemalan border , in August , which is rainy season . The day I took this , it rained like in the picture for a couple of hours in the afternoon and then cleared up nicely for a few days .

11. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

12. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Nice use of weather to give a good photo even more feel and emotion. Nice job of framing.

Perfect blue sky like this can be used for setting a good manual exposure. It converts into a near perfect neutral gray, which is what the meter in your camera looks for. You can see this in the B&W conversion you posted in the POTD thread. The only thing I don't like is the way the water tower seems to tilt. Watch for the strong vertical lines in the frame and make sure they are parallel to the edge of the viewfinder before you hit the shutter. With a wide angle lens, look at the verticals in the center of the subject.

Excellent photo.

I never thought of sunsets as weather, but they are strongly affected by it in terms of the colors they have. Interesting how the sun seems to be peeking out from a monocle.

Nice shot of how weather can yield beauty. The wide cropping compliments the image nicely.

I grew up in the MidWest and have an affinity for this type of sky treatment. The textures and contrasts in the moving clouds add a new dimension to the image.

Thanks to all for the participation.

Dale

13. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Hi. I just realized I have the date for this Challenge off by a week. It should end today, but I have the date running an extra week. I'm just going to let it run as stated and get back on track beginning April 12 with Framing.

I know it gets slow during the Winter and have been thinking that the Challenge should be retired. Send me a PM for comments regarding this thought.

Dale

14. Phrasikleia, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I have a suggestion of a different sort, so I'll just write it here for all to see. How about a new thread titled something like "Critique of the Week"? People who are seeking critique could post one set of photos per week (maybe up to three per post?). Other people would be encouraged to comment and critique as generously as possible. The thread would be renewed each week by whoever first noticed that the old one had expired.

I imagine no weekly topic and no other rules specific to the thread. It seems like the real goal of the challenge thread was to encourage critique, but the idea of shooting for a topic may be complicating matters too much. The PotD thread tends to see very little in the way of critique, so it doesn't meet the goal either. The weekly contest does generate critique, but only from a single person (the judge). So I see a thread like "Critique of the Week" fitting in nicely.

Does anyone else think something along these lines might be a good alternative?

[Edit: By the way, the critique thread need not replace the challenge thread. I think the challenge is still a good idea, and those of you who have been keeping it going should be commended.]

15. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

good idea maybe there should be a rule that for every pic you post up you have to critique two others, that might help keep the comments coming?

**edit** and no voting down without explanation :)

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's a great idea for a thread.

And yes, everyone who posts a photo must critique 2 other photos, just to "pay it forward".

17. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

What if you are the first to post? do you have to critique yourself twice? :D

18. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

good point, the first person to start gets a bye and the second only has to critique one ;)

:)

19. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

This sounds like an idea worth trying. It balances the regular photo threads on this forum with two display threads, one themed (Weekly Contest) and one open (POTD) to go with two comment/critique threads, one themed (Fortnightly Challenge) and one open (Weekly Critique).

Something simple like this?

Title: Weekly Critique April 9-15: Post any Photo for C&C

Body: Post any photos (up to three at a time) you want the MR community to comment on. If you are the first to post, no comments are needed, just describe your photo. After that, please leave a comment for an existing photo before adding another.

Anyone may repost this thread after it has expired.

To return to topic, the messages I have received ask that I give the Challenge until the Fall before I decide to retire it or not.

Dale

20. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I like it, but I think the name change sounds too formal. I like how "Critique of the Week" provides a catchy little rhyme and corresponds with "Photo of the Day." It also might imply more strongly that each photographer gets one entry per week (which I suppose was the thinking behind the naming of PotD).

So my suggestion would be close to yours, with the following changes:

Title: Critique of the Week, April 9-15: Post any Photo for C&C

Body: This is a thread for people who would like some constructive feedback on their photos. You may submit a photo once per week (or up to three in a single post, if you have a set of related images). If you would like feedback about something specific (exposure, cropping, processing, etc.), then be sure to include that information.

Everyone is welcome and encouraged to offer comments and critiques, regardless of whether or not they have submitted their own photos.

Anyone may repost this thread after it has expired.

21. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

This is better. It separates it from Weekly Contest

Dale

22. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I like the idea of "Critique of the Week." It is a little change of pace idea. Constructive criticism/praise is always good. Since we are still w/i the "weather" challenge, we had a spring snow storm hit us this past Thursday-Friday. I headed out yesterday and took this one:

[​IMG]

23. Designer Dale thread starter macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Nice composition and exposure. Shooting into the sun is something that I find hard to do. The flare of the sun is good. Is that a lens effect? Flares seem to be one of the things L lenses do better that others. I noticed you shot this in Manual with Evaluative set fort the metering mode and looked this up. Evaluative metering mode uses all of the focus points available for reading light. On your Mk III that's 61 points! The 7d has 19 and my XSi only 9.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mine for the topic. A nice change from the usual grey overcast that dominates the Pacific NorthWest in Winter..
    [​IMG]
    EXIF Summary: 1/25s f/11.0 ISO100 Tokina 12-24 f/4@12mm Moose Warm CPL Filter

Dale

24. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I am a big fan of reflections so this is a favourite from the bunch so far!

Again here are some heavily filtered iPhone shots for you! :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]