Fortnightly Challenge September 3-September 17 : Architecture

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by fcortese, Sep 3, 2011.

1. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Welcome to the Fortnightly Challenge

The purpose of the Challenge is to provide a venue where photographers of all skill levels can work to improve their craft by shooting along a common topic for two weeks - one fortnight. Helpful comments and critiques are key to reaching the intended goal - better photography.

About Your Photos

Shoot for the topics listed on the schedule. You may shoot for upcoming topics, but post photos only to their matching Challenges. Try to avoid using photos from your archives just for participations sake. If you really want input on an older image that fits the Challenge topic, please let us see it.

You may post as many photos as you wish for any one Challenge.

About Your Comments

Comments are critical to the success of the Challenge. If you post a photo, add a comment to another one. If you are only viewing, please add your comments, too.

Comments should be meaningful, something that the photographer can use to improve his/her work. Explain why you like or dislike a photo. Spend a moment looking at a photo before commenting on it. Try to answer the question "I like this photo because…" It really helps the photographer.

The Topic Schedule

August 6-19: Reflection
    August 20-September 2: Water
    September 3-16: Architecture

Florian for Dale

2. fcortese thread starter macrumors demi-god

fcortese

3. Melizard macrumors 6502

Melizard

I just got back from Prague, and here are a couple photos from the trip:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. fcortese thread starter macrumors demi-god

fcortese

5. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

^^ Very interesting photo. I like the tones and the use of reflections. Is this from your trip East?

Mine. The Climbing Information Center at the Henry M. Jackson Visitor Center on Mt. Rainier (Paradise). The mountain is at my back and that's the Tatoosh Range in the distance. Note the steep pitched roofs and the ladder to the door on the smaller wing of the building.

[​IMG]
    EXIF Summary: 1/250s f/8.0 ISO100 Tamron 28-75 f/2.8@28mm

Dale

6. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Like the photo because I love the mountain. It seems a bit cut off to the right though and unfinished. A different angle might have worked better. Nice job on the exposure with the snow though.

----------

Tough one for me. I tried a few Saturday night but I'm not sure. Here's the Governor's Mansion in Colonial Williamsburg.

[​IMG]

7. fcortese, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011

fcortese thread starter macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Yes, Dale, this was taken on my trip back East. This is at the outer edge of Chinatown. I was working on panning techniques and saw this building with a high-rise apartment reflected in its windows, As you can see in the right pane, the apartment has an irregular outer border with various floors bowing outwards. In is not an optical illusion due to reflection.

8. paulg macrumors member

garden room architecture

this shot from my garden room. designed it myself, don't you know....[​IMG]

9. Keleko macrumors 68000

10. Designer Dale, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011

Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

JDDavis: Thanks for the comments. Here are three more shots of the same building. You can see the "stuff" I cropped off from the previous one. The last shot has someone's backpack cropped off in the lower right corner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All shot with my XSi and Tamron 28-75 f/2.8

Dale

11. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

Those bring back some memories. :)

Now how about some shots from Camp Muir. ;)

Did you try cropping the first picture to just include the trees on the right? You would catch a glimpse of the parking lot but I don't think enough to distract from the photo.

12. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I need to build my endurance before I can do the Camp Muir shot. Next year..

I had to crop out the snow patch as well as the parking lot. I like the one with more of the mountains in the background.

Per Request
    [​IMG]

Dale

13. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

I like the second one the best. The composition leads you to the building and the trees frame it nicely. I like the background of the first one much better than the crop but I see what you mean about the parking lot. Unfortunately it is very distracting. I like the second shot the most.

----------

I like this crop much better than your original crop. The background seems more finished on the right and I'm not searching for what's out of the frame. The trees provide more structure to complete the edge. The parking lot is not too distracting either. If there was no parking lot I'd definitely go for the wide crop but with it there I like this version the best.

----------

Cool room with a great view. I'd love to see a night/dusk/dawn shot with some interesting light out in the garden. The sun looks pretty high in this shot.

14. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

15. UltimaMC, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011

UltimaMC macrumors member

Long time lurker and amuture photographer. I was visiting a friend in Milwaukee, WI two weeks ago and snapped a shot inside the art meseum.

[​IMG]

We also made a stop in Chicago where I captured the Hancock building.

[​IMG]

What do you think?

EDIT:
    Genghis I use Flickr to host my images right now, and since uploading is built into Aperture it's a breeze! Although I'm thinking about moving to Google+.

As soon as you upload a picture I'll be happy to comment.

-MC

16. paulg macrumors member

I took the garden room photo at 7:30am. The sun was still quite low, the clipping in the highlights is because i'm still learning about photography.. the room is north facing so about the only time it gets any direct sunlight.

As an architect, people don't usually feature much in my pictures of buildings however heres one of an extension to a house with one person!
    [​IMG]

----------

I really like shots where the patterns in the structure are given attention. these work really well for me.

17. fcortese thread starter macrumors demi-god

fcortese

My wife and I too a walk into town last night trying to enjoy the nice weather while we still can. There are many old buildings built around the turn of the century here in town where the mining industry was booming. Here is an example of one of them. It used to be a music hall where concerts were put on.

[​IMG]

18. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

I'm new to this, but a few of the shots reminded me of a few shots I took a few years ago. I like the color contrast, but I'd probably change the angle if I took it today.

[​IMG]

19. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

20. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Conway Castle

From The Ramparts

Attached Files:

21. creator2456, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Some really beautiful stuff going on here!

Not to crowd this thread with old pictures, but I have a lot that I'd like to share. Now I feel obligated to go out and get a few new ones as well. Been way too long since I've gone out to shoot.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

22. Intel Inside macrumors 6502

From a recent trip to NYC. I really like your UltimaMC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

A View Of Old Chester

Taken A while back with an old Fuji Finepix....Now long retired! Quite pleased with the outcome for a small compact

Attached Files: