Forum Bugs & Issues

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by ncbetz, Aug 1, 2016.

1. ncbetz macrumors 6502

ncbetz

Hi,

I was reading through the FAQ to get acquainted with the rules and find out how to donate to MacRumors and have found out a few bugs.
    • In the support form "How do user titles work?", it says that you must have 500 posts to have an avatar. I assume this is because when you had the old forum you did not give everyone the ability to have an avatar.
      • Screen Shot 2016-08-01 at 4.32.35 PM.png
    • I also was wanting to know where to contribute to you, as I have been using MacRumors forever (just recently registered), and want to help keep you online. I want to give something back. According to the support page "How can I contribute to MacRumors.com?", it says to go to your Account Upgrades, but when I go to my account upgrades I get this message, "No account upgrades can be purchased at this time. Please check back later." It may be wise to upgrade the support page if it is indeed no longer possible. This is very sad to me, as I would LOVE to contribute.
      • Screen Shot 2016-08-01 at 4.39.22 PM.png
    I will reply to this thread again if I find any other issues.

Thanks,
    Noah

2. ncbetz thread starter macrumors 6502

ncbetz

I am still unable to contribute / donate to MacRumors. I guess it doesn't have anything to do with those Chron Job things (not sure if that was even possible). I am not sure if this is intensional or not.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

@arn did post a while back saying they were revising the payment side but I've heard nothing since. My membership lapsed because of the issue resulting in me now seeing glorious adds

4. ncbetz thread starter macrumors 6502

ncbetz

Ah, thank you. I will look for his post. Yeah, I would like to remove ads as well, without using an AdBlocker (I like to support sites I like).

5. ncbetz thread starter macrumors 6502

ncbetz

@arn - do you have any plans to add this back? I was not able to find your post about why it was removed in the first place.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

7. ncbetz thread starter macrumors 6502

ncbetz

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, @arn - and others, @SandboxGeneral, this question also arises for me.

Having checked, I have just noticed that my contributor status is due for renewal at the end of this month.

Is it possible to renew it in advance, or, how can one set about renewing it? At the moment, it does not seem that there is a method to renew my membership.

Does the system automatically let one know that one's membership has - or, is about to - lapse, expire and allow one to renew - I can't find anyway where this might be possible.

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

This is something that you can either send in a contact message or ask @Doctor Q about. I know there have been issues surrounding the renewal and signing up process since the switch over last year, but the moderators have nothing to do with it - it's an admin thing.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Thanks very much for the courtesy of a swift reply.

That is what I shall proceed to do, then.

As it happens, I'll be abroad when my membership expires, and so would far prefer to be able to deal with it - by that, I mean, renew it, in advance.

Would you recommend a PM to @Doctor Q, or a regular message, such as here on this thread?

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I ran into the same issue. My sub expired now I'm forced to look at adverts. Joy

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You've tagged him here in this thread and I suppose that will be enough. If you don't hear from him, send in a contact and the admins will take care of it.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Fair enough. That is what I shall do, then.

14. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

sorry all.

I turned it off because we were working on a different version of user subscriptions.

I've turned it on again for now. You can resubscribe at the old rate ($25/year). This rate will go up when we revamp everything (but there should be more benefits)

arn

15. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

That's great to know. I'll resub Friday when I've got five mins of peace and quiet

16. ncbetz thread starter macrumors 6502

ncbetz

Thanks! I'll be doing it sometime this week. I kinda want to wait for the exclusive newsletter though.

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

How does one actually renew one's subscription? Where is the 'button', or how do I access it?

Mine is due to expire at the end of this month, at a period when I shall be abroad; if possible, I would welcome the opportunity to upgrade this week as i would like to be able to tie up various loose ends before heading off.

18. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I seem to be able to get to the purchase now, but PayPal refuses to do mobile payments so I'll have to pull out my Mac to do this later.

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

How were you able to do this, or, what steps were you able to take?

Mine just tell me that my subscription expires at the end of this month.

20. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Tap on your name and then tap (or click) on Account Upgrades. It then had the option of clicking the link to pay $25.

image.jpeg

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Thanks, but I am not clear on what you mean, exactly.

Tap on my name - do you mean in my profile, or where? And where does it show 'account upgrades' - I found it after several steps in the 'FAQ section, where it simply showed me that my subscription will expire at the end of the month.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 8, 2016 ---
    Thanks a lot for that, - I have just tried that - but there is no link to click on, only the black title line informing me that I am a contributor and that my subscription expires at the end of this month.

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It still appears to be switched off.

When I go into my account - using the means recommended so kindly by @AlliFlowers (and, again, many thanks for that) I merely see the notice informing me that I am a 'contributor' and that my subscription is due to expire at the end of this month.

However, there is no 'button', or anything to click on, in order to renew the subscription.

23. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Where is the Paypal button?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 9, 2016 ---
    @arn, is this feature available of not at the moment, because I have been unable to renew my subscription?

25. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

IMG_0612.PNG