Forum Bugs Thread

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by SandboxGeneral, Nov 13, 2013.

1. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Since the restore and re-indexing of the site, I am noticing a few minor bugs. I want to list what I see and others can too so when Arn has a chance he can look into them.

So far I see issues with:

• From the User CP subscriptions page, clicking on the 'first unread post' button is not taking me to the first unread post since my last visit to said thread.
    • After subsequent new posts are marked as unread again due to newer posts being made, I'll be taken to either the same old post or a random post from hours before the latest post.
    • Sometimes the 'Post a Reply' button that should be at the bottom of a thread is actually at the top of the thread along with the same which should be at the top. Basically have two 'Post a reply' buttons at the top of the thread page and none at the bottom.

My first two above have been replicated on OS X (Safari) and Windows 7 (Chrome). The last one I've only noticed today since I've been at work on Windows 7.

Attached Files:

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I have no idea about the rendering issue. Unless it's still a weird caching thing.

Is it consistent?

As for the read/unread stuff. Can you try marking all forums as read under Quick Links and start over, and see if that clears it up for you?

arn

3. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No the rendering is not consistent. Seems random and only on Chrome while on Windows 7. While on Safari in OS X, it seemed okay.

I'll try the mark all forums read in the morning and report back. This issue has been consistent across Windows, OS X and iOS for me.

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Those black boxes are there on the screen? you didn't add those in to block otu something, ya?

arn

5. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Oh, heh. The black boxes are there to cover up mod tools.

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I also just synced our timezones on the servers. I think those were messed up with the new setup. So hopefully that will help fix the new post sync issue.

arn

7. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I also cleared my cookies and it seems it's working now. It was a bit wonky before. Not sure if my server changes or my clearing cookies did it.

arn

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Search is disabled, but I guess that's already been mentioned....No "New Post" button either. That's a pain for me, as I use it all the time...the old memory isn't that good these day's:)

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Just a quick question....are PM's deleted from the servers when removed by the user?

Just remembered that a few had to do with sales of things and contained my name, address and other sensitive info that I would not normally put in a post.

10. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Deleted PMs are removed from the database.

arn

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Thanks arn....as far as I can tell, we got off pretty light here. I remember another VB based site I used to use that really got taken to the cleaners with bank account and registered CC's hacked.

There will always be vulnerabilities in VB and there will always be people prepared to devote time and processing power in order to exploit them.

I think the team have handled things well here.

Jeff

12. SandboxGeneral, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013

SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I cleared all cookies and website data from Safari and even loaded Chrome (OS X) which has no extensions but LastPass in it and is at its factory default settings and I am still seeing the same behavior.

Then I clicked the 'mark forums read' button from Quick Links and there was no change in behavior.

For example, this thread MacRumors Forums: Security Leak consistently takes me to post #494 every time I click the 'first unread' post button from the user subscriptions page. That was before clearing everything and after.

Now I am seeing the rendering issue again and this time on OS X. However it is again in Chrome. As mentioned my Chrome browser on OS X is at factory settings except for having LastPass installed. I have not seen the problem in Safari.

Edit: On the mobile site in iOS things work as they should.

Edit x2: It seems that after I use the mobile site subscriptions page, it will take me to the first unread post. Then when I come back to the desktop site and try again, I start going consistently to the same post that the mobile site took me to.

Edit x3: This thread, Complaint from MacRumors users about the recent security issue. consistently takes me to post #49 even after 'marking all forums read.'

Attached Files:

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

14. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

This thread takes me to post #2 from the subscriptions page and did so right after Mike made the above post. It didn't take me to his like it should have.

15. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Using Tapatalk seems to work normally. I'll try on my MacBook later but TT takes me to the last post in all linked ones I've tried so far

16. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I've also received a couple of Guru meditation errors since this morning. The latest a few minutes ago.

17. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

18. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That's related to the search function and will come back when Arn has things straightened out.

19. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I am seeing the same thing and no amount of logging out and back in and cookie deletion has fixed it. Also did the mark all as read and no improvement. I consistently see it in the thread you mentioned in your X3 edit.

If I can be of any help testing/troubleshooting please shoot me a PM.

Arn>> Hope you get some sleep. :)

20. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I got some magical looking vBulletin debug things at the bottom of a few pages. Took screen shots if interested, but not sure if its something that would be wise to post about. Niffy looking SQL queries as well.

21. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

can you send them to me arn@normalkid.com

I know why they showed.
    arn

22. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Email sent.

23. MacVidCards Suspended

No attachments?

I just went to attach a screen shot to something and it said "You may NOT post attachments"

Is this just more fall out?

24. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

We are moving our attachments right now, so we turned the off temporarily. Should be back up in the next 30 mins if guess.

arn

25. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I am encountering this "first unread post"-bug as well. It's seems to be only for a handful of threads. Most of the time it works well. Quite strange.