Forum Design

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by dukebound85, Feb 6, 2009.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I saw that insanely mac has redone their forum and it is alot better. Perhaps MR should implement this design as I know there has been some talk about updating

What I really like is the google search bar built in (like mroogle). Also looks very clean and succint

Thoughts?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/

2. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

Totally agree. This site is beginning to look very outdated.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I gotta say, I don't like the new look. Too contrasty, too "free Wordpress theme" look for me. While MR may not be sexy, it's simple, clean, and easily navigable. There's room for improvement from a search perspective, and some other tools that are worth a look, but for the most part I keep coming back here because it's not a pimped, kludged-up mess.

Actually, it's probably the only forum I frequent I don't care to see overhauled, most of the others are too amped up for their own good.

4. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

InsanelyMac forum has a claustrophobic feel about it. The lettering is too large, there are too many large icons, and way too much color. I also don't like the blocking pattern and the wide dark margins everywhere. It feels like being caged. All of this distraction obstructs the processing of information. MR is visually much cleaner (though the dialog might not be:)) and easier to visually scan and digest. I don't know how it is to post as I have never visited or used that forum before.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Between InsanelyMac and MacRumors format, I would choose MacRumors.

MacRumors has a simpler layout which I like and prefer.

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I think macrumors is looking a bit dated. A refresh would be nice, but perhaps not as web 2.0 trendy as insanelymac is. Something simple and fresh would be ace. That's my design brief. I'll leave the design details to others.

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I agree that MacRumors really needs a facelift, but I also agree with the posters above. I don't really like the InsanelyMac redesign, and if I have to choose, I'd choose MacRumors'. The buttons are too large... actually everything is just too large.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I guess we differ in that regard.

I don't think MacRumors looks dated at all. Rather I see it as an effective design.

9. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

Really? It looks reminds me of the design of OS 9. Very simple, with lots of whites and greys. I agree the design of insanelymac is not good either, MR should be somewhere in between.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

MacRumors may not be the sexiest site in terms of design, but it's very functional, extremely readable. If they went nuts with redesign, it would probably increase eye fatigue. Making MRoogle the official search engine would be cool, as well as some method of directing newbies to a listing of the most common topics before they can post.

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree.

I think that this is key.

Bling is not needed. :)

12. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

as far as the margins, you can hit the full screen option and it takes the sidebars away. I dont know, I just hated the previous forum design they had as you couldnt search worth a darn

13. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I think it's an effective design. Just dated. It's entirely possible to give something an aesthetic boost and still keep the design effective. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

14. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I disagree greatly with everyone

I love this forum for the way it looks

Not too complicated yet sophisticated

15. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

its nice, just i wish they implemented a search bar like insanely mac does at the least. i like how its open. maybe thats just me lol

i would also like a better mobil page as while its great overall, sometines its tricky hitting the arrows when reading threads and wanting to change pages

16. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Everyone's different

I just am not that happy with a lot of newer designs which seem too overly put together with too many options, etc....

Just me though

17. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Have you read the earlier posts? Several of us have said that they like the way MR looks and functions.

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Did you read all of the posts?

Agree. Works well.

Maybe a search bar could be added.

Personally, I don't see a need for it as there is already a search function.

I like a simplistic approach that is effective. Makes participating more fun for me. I tend to shy away from glitzy sites.

19. thisonechance macrumors regular

I like how simple and clean the site is now.
    I would like to see an option to make the site more friendly for night viewing. Perhaps a black background with light text as to not light up the room in the dark.

20. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

IMO MacRumors only needs colorful names for special members (admins, mods, demi gs) and perhaps a 'Karma' system.

21. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Overall I guess MR still looks fine to me, but I can understand the desire to see it changed a tad.

Like others said, something tasteful and not overdone would be nice, and the practicality and usability of MR would have to remain intact.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Isn't most of the usability of MR the VB software it is based on.

23. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yeah, but MR is also very clean and easy to navigate. Some forums that use VB try to make it too extravagant, so the clarity of the whole site is less. I guess that's part of "usability" for me. :p

24. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Something like this google search?

Picture 1.png

As for colourful names, why? Can't people read below the username?

As for Karma, ZOMFG NO. Every site I've seen use Karma, it's worsened the place for me.

We're using pretty much the default VB skin, IIRC. There's nothing special about MacRumors' skin specifically I don't think. It's plain, and simple, and *works*.

If it ain't broke, why fix it? :rolleyes:

25. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I don't mind MR as it is but I agree that it does look a bit dated. Not that I want major gaudy changes but maybe a few little things could be renovated. And since I know Arn and teh gods aren't big on change anyway I think we're safe from anything super scary going on these pages.

I often wish this site did the profile field bits on top of the posts instead of to the left. Example here (please never mind their images in sigs, thankfully that won't be something we see on MR) It takes a little while to get used to but I think it looks really nice and makes pages appear much tidier when larger images are posted.