Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Will the Mods get reorganized to patrol a certain forum as opposed to everyone patrol the whole site.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I like the new line-up suggestions and look forward to milling around as the changes take place. Hard to believe this place can get much better, though. :)

One thing that has nagged at me now and again is the Mac Gaming section. This is probably splitting hairs, but so many of the gaming threads have nothing to do with Macs. There are tons of console-specific threads, and even an occasional PC games thread. Would you want to segment that out to Mac Gaming and Other Gaming? Not a big deal, I know, but while you're considering changes...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
MacNut said:
Will the Mods get reorganized to patrol a certain forum as opposed to everyone patrol the whole site.
Probably not. Whoever is on duty handles anything that gets reported. Coverage depends more on time zone than on particular forums.

powermac666 said:
One thing that has nagged at me now and again is the Mac Gaming section. This is probably splitting hairs, but so many of the gaming threads have nothing to do with Macs. There are tons of console-specific threads, and even an occasional PC games thread. Would you want to segment that out to Mac Gaming and Other Gaming? Not a big deal, I know, but while you're considering changes...
MacNut said:
How about the gaming forum, split it between computer and console.
This is a tough call. A member who starts a game thread doesn't care where it is (since they know where it is) as much as a member who looks through the posts in a Games forum because the subject interests them. So the question is whether people looking at the Games forum really want to see only computer games for Macintosh.

It could open a can of worms to have forums for every non-Macintosh-related interest we can think of (food, travel, sports, cars, console games), all under Community, so it's more likely than not that we won't have a "Console Gaming" forum. We have chosen in the past to use the "Mac Games" forum for all games, despite the "Mac" in the forum name.

If you had only two choices:
1. having a "Games" forum for all types of games

2. having a "Mac Games" forum only for Mac-based games, with all other game threads mixed into "Community Discussion"​
which would you pick?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
this me just nit-picking, but howabout rather than "New to Mac" call that thread Basics/Tech. Assistance? that way it appeals to both beginngers as well as getting help.... just my thoughts on that though

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Doctor Q said:

2. having a "Mac Games" forum only for Mac-based games, with all other game threads mixed into "Community Discussion"which would you pick?
I would assume just call it the gaming forum and be as generic as possible.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
At first glance, the title of the 'Design, Graphics & Photography' forum seems too similar to 'Picture Gallery'

Is the first section a place to discuss and ask questions about software/hardware related issues connected with the subject? I can imagine lots of people posting their pix in here...

But otherwise it all seems good to me.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Doctor Q said:
If you had only two choices:

2. having a "Mac Games" forum only for Mac-based games, with all other game threads mixed into "Community Discussion"​
which would you pick?

The first choice is sufficient. It would make me feel less like an intruder when posting PSP threads and the like. :rolleyes:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I couldn't resist memorializing the split second when nobody at MacRumors needed help with anything!

Attachments

• nohelp.png
    nohelp.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 125

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Yes, we've upgraded to MR Forum X 10.4.8 which features updated nVidia and ATI drivers, plus Finder performance optimisations :D

Yeah, I'm bored :rolleyes:

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Some nice changes, great work. I do have a couple of questions though.
Is the Mac Basics And Help only thought for newbies or as a general hardware/software problem forum? Because there are still Rower's guidelines for getting help as a sticky in the Macintosh Computer forum.

Also there seem to be a lot of software related questions in the Mac Basics And Help forum, which is as intended I suppose but wouldn't it make more sense to just move it out of the hardware section and into it's own?
Something like:
•Mac Basics And Help
- Mac Problems And Questions
- Software FAQs
- Hardware FAQs

That way we'd have a one stop for questions and infos and it would keep the other forums clean of the regular tech support questions and open for a little bit more discussion and the tougher questions. I think this would create a more distinguished tech support area and hardware/software area.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Diatribe said:
Some nice changes, great work. I do have a couple of questions though.
Is the Mac Basics And Help only thought for newbies or as a general hardware/software problem forum? Because there are still Rower's guidelines for getting help as a sticky in the Macintosh Computer forum.

Also there seem to be a lot of software related questions in the Mac Basics And Help forum, which is as intended I suppose but wouldn't it make more sense to just move it out of the hardware section and into it's own?
Something like:
•Mac Basics And Help
- Mac Problems And Questions
- Software FAQs
- Hardware FAQs

That way we'd have a one stop for questions and infos and it would keep the other forums clean of the regular tech support questions and open for a little bit more discussion and the tougher questions. I think this would create a more distinguished tech support area and hardware/software area.
I think this is just adding to the confusion. What's nice about the current setup is that the Mac Basics forum pops up first, so newbies see right away where they need to post questions. More sophisticated users with specific problems can post them in the relevant forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
wordmunger said:
I think this is just adding to the confusion. What's nice about the current setup is that the Mac Basics forum pops up first, so newbies see right away where they need to post questions. More sophisticated users with specific problems can post them in the relevant forums.
Correct. If your question is specific to a topic covered by another forum, e.g., "iPod/iTunes Discussion" for iPod questions, "Mac Peripherals" for a printer question, "Mac Applications" for an iCal question, you can post it in that forum. Otherwise, it can go in the "Mac Basics and Help" forum.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Awesome job on the reorg- really looks nice. Unfortunately, we're still getting the "Server Busy" messages... I guess that'll be next ;)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I hadn't even really noticed at first. Everything's pretty much where'd you'd expect to find it, as far as I can tell so far. That's a good thing, BTW. :D

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
dsharits said:
I like the new setup. It will just take a little time to get used to, but it makes a lot more sense.

Same here - really like the new organization, more logical. But yeah, takes a little getting used to, I was so used to the old layout, having frequented here everyday for a while now.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Good job arn and the mods, thank you for your hard work to improve the forum for the loyal users. The new setup makes lot of sense.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Possibly this thread could be placed in the "New Person" thread? Linkety

Oh, and the forum's descriptions could be capitalized and such. That would be nice for those of us with OCD. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.