Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Videographer

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Grand Rapids, MI
I know this isn't a new idea, but what about having different categories for Macintosh Computers? As in, I'm more interested in the Mac Pro and sick of reading all the threads about all the MacBook Pro problems. That and it'd just organize things a lot better. Every thread would have SOME relevance to what I'm looking for instead of being a large sort of general mishmash of topics on a wide array of computers.

There could be one board on Mac Pro/PowerMac, another on the notebook computers, and a third for the rest (iMac, eMac, Mac Mini). Just a suggestion... Love the forums otherwise. :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Videographer said:
...sick of reading all the threads about all the MacBook Pro problems.

Err, surely the solution is not to read them then.

You can't guarantee that there would be this neat compartmentalisation as many people post in the wrong forum anyway, and adding yet another tier of categories within Macintosh Computers would make the main forum page more cluttered already.

You'd also then have to have a general hardware board to cover all the circumstances where certain topics would span or fail to be contained within a particular forum i.e. Should I get a Macbook Pro or iMac/Pro Mac etc.?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Videographer said:
There could be one board on Mac Pro/PowerMac, another on the notebook computers, and a third for the rest (iMac, eMac, Mac Mini). Just a suggestion... Love the forums otherwise. :)

I think it might be time to. I do think there have been a lot of model specific issues esp with then new machines, and there probably is enough traffic/interest in each model to have their own forum.

As Blue Velvet mentioned, the initial reason to clump them all together was that there already are so many forums.

I'll look into it.
arn

Videographer

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Grand Rapids, MI
Another benefit is that thread titles would be shorter and allow for more concisenesses. Instead of "Mac Pro Ram" or "Mac Pro RAID." We might see "Best RAM," or "RAID done right." - Since they would be qualified as being Mac Pro-related by being in the Mac Pro category.

Velvet, the example you used would better fall under the "Buying tips/Advice" category, which COULD even be grouped into "Buying tips/General Hardware." But maybe that's a step too far.

If main page space is a problem, what about a having the Mac Computers link go to a launch page with the various categories? Then you could have the direct category links on the main page under the “Macintosh Computers” link where they are now, but as links instead of just text.

For example
[link] Macintosh Computers
[link] Desktops | [link] Notebooks | [link] iMac/eMac/MacMini (whatever you want to call them)

You know what I mean.

I don’t know how you should organize it, but I just know it’s getting a bit cluttered in there and it’s one of the most popular threads on the forum.

I'm sure the Macbook people would be happier in their own dimension as well... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.