Found a 5th Gen iPod Touch

JohnnyDJunior

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
it had a password so restored it and at the beginning it with DFU mode, now it asks me to use the email i used to setup Find my iPhone.

Is there a way to skip this step or is the iPod touch useless

FSMBP

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2009
it had a password so restored it and at the beginning it with DFU mode, now it asks me to use the email i used to setup Find my iPhone.

Is there a way to skip this step or is the iPod touch useless
It's "useless" and you should try to return it to where you found it or try to find its rightful owner.

This is why iOS 7 is amazing.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Should just try to return it to whomever's it is, not take it as your own.

But as FSMBP said, iOS7 is amazing for this one feature alone.

FSMBP

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2009
Thought of that but there is not way to find the person either way.
Well, you can always submit it to the main facility where you found it by in case the owner is looking for it.There is no way to by-pass this security feature (no jailbreak, no nothing), so it's not like anyone will be using it.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
I don't see why they star the email address. If they left it visible there would at least be a way to contact the owner.

JohnnyDJunior

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
I don't see why they star the email address. If they left it visible there would at least be a way to contact the owner.
I see why they avoided showing it. Both have good and bad effects

----------

Try taking it to Apple Store, I found an iPod 5 and they assisted me returning it to the owner.
Where you rewarded.
I don't mind doing it just won't spend money to go all the way just to return it.

Will do it when I'm around there then

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Remember when we had downvotes? I really miss those right now.

Anyways I couldn't have said it better than Dhlizard. Hopefully you manage to do the right thing.

JohnnyDJunior

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
Lmao I never said I won't go. It's an hr and half train ride to the Apple Store. When I have time.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Wow, man... Can't you just print some "Found iPod Touch" and post them near where you found it?

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Not that I necessarily agree with keeping it for yourself, but try to ignore the ever-present morally superior users of this forum who live their life as if they were Jesus Christ himself.

JohnnyDJunior

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
Not that I necessarily agree with keeping it for yourself, but try to ignore the ever-present morally superior users of this forum who live their life as if they were Jesus Christ himself.
So true. Everyone heres like Jesus smh, i have a 32GB iPhone 5s a iPod touch is useless to me anyways ppl need to relax. I'd do it when i have time. Its not a priority for me to send it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
On the other hand it seemed important and urgent enough to ask here how to essentially get around Activation Lock which certainly doesn't relate in any way to even considering looking into returning the device to its owner in some fashion.

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England
I've found an iPhone 4s before, you know what I did?

Used Siri and tired things like; "Call Mom", "Call Home", and "Call Dad".

You know how nice it felt when the owner got her 4s back? With all of her data on it...

JohnnyDJunior

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
On the other hand it seemed important and urgent enough to ask here how to essentially get around Activation Lock which certainly doesn't relate in any way to even considering looking into returning the device to its owner in some fashion.
Well considering there wasn't an email to contact the owner , my goal was to have it at least working. But since i posted it and it could be sent to the Apple store ill do that then.

Anyways its over ill try to send it. Done

ninjadex

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Well considering there wasn't an email to contact the owner , my goal was to have it at least working. But since i posted it and it could be sent to the Apple store ill do that then.

Anyways its over ill try to send it. Done
Wasn't it working when you found it? How long did you wait before restoring it? Perhaps they used Find my iPod, and are on their way right now to reclaim it.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
I was rewarded with a nice "Thank You" and a good feeling knowing the mother was able to return the iPod to her 13 year old daughter.

Life is not all about money - hopefully you will realize that some day.
I would have done the same thing. I'm a huge believer of Karma and I know that I would be devastated if that happened to me (and it did). I'm glad there are thoughtful people like you, who are humble and down to earth. Keep it up my friend.