Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Indecisi0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
Not sure if this has been shared:

If your alarm goes off the same time you receive a email (gmail app) then it turns your alarm off. I heard the alarm for a split second, then followed by the email alert then nothing.

TrashCanBin

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2013
Same thing happens with imessages if you receive them on your lock screen. The sound just cuts off

Pattycerts

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
It's not a bug. Activity switches the alarm off.

cmonman.jpg

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
When you go from the lock screen to the home screen, the status bar changes sizes. Battery gets smaller on the home screen. It's distracting.

spades1412

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
If you lock your 5s while in the Twitter, often times touchID won't work to unlock the device. Doesn't happen all the time. When it does happen, no Try Again or anything.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Please read the OP's original post!

He's saying if an email comes in and your alarm goes off at the same time, it shuts off the alarm. So how isn't this a problem? Some people receive dozens of emails a day, so odds are this bug (or call it whatever you want) will make people late for work a few times.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
That's a bad bug.

I set 3 alarms in the morning because I've the habit of turning off the first one half asleep and snoozing without realising. It'd have to be a really bad morning for me to get a notification when each of my 3 alarms went off!

Though OP - this means you go to bed with your phone not silenced? So I assume this bug only happens when the phone is in ringer mode? I wonder if it happens when you use the timer too.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Please read the OP's original post!

Ok, an email then. Does the same with messages. I can get easily over 600 messages and 100 emails a day.

ytapa5y8.jpg

It's not completely out of the question for me to get some sort of message within seconds of my alarm going off.

Regardless of email or messages how is the phone turning off the alarm without user input not a bug?

Please dont say it's a "feature". :)

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Ok, an email then. Does the same with messages. I can get easily over 600 messages and 100 emails a day.

As I said before, please read the OP's original post!

If you did so, you'd have seen that he said "If your alarm goes off the same time you receive a email (gmail app) then it turns your alarm off". to which I replied that it was the arrival of the email (or in your case, a message!) that turned the alarm off. The likelihood of the two events occurring at exactly the same time was purely coincidental and most unlikely to happen.

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013

If you did so, you'd have seen that he said "If your alarm goes off the same time you receive a email (gmail app) then it turns your alarm off". to which I replied that it was the arrival of the email (or in your case, a message!) that turned the alarm off. The likelihood of the two events occurring at exactly the same time was purely coincidental and most unlikely to happen.

purely coincidental or not, it is a bug like Daylight saving time bug which occurs once a year and it cant be tolerated. Saying by Apple that iOS is the world's most advanced mobile operating system is a bit funny when there are such minor bugs which cant be fixed for years.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007

Why don't you understand that a notification should never turn an alarm off?

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Why don't you understand that a notification should never turn an alarm off?

You mean I can't show up to work hours late and simply say, "Sorry boss...got an email right as my alarm started going off, so I never heard it...but it's Apple, so I'm not fired, right?"

:p

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
You mean I can't show up to work hours late and simply say, "Sorry boss...got an email right as my alarm started going off, so I never heard it...but it's Apple, so I'm not fired, right?"

:p

You should get yourself a more understanding boss! ;)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

So since it's unlikely (it's not) it's not a bug?

Doesn't have to be the same millisecond you get an email the alarm just has to be going off. It could be 20 minutes after the alarm start (granted you probably won't wake up then anyway) but if you hit snooze it could be an issue.

I've often wondered why my alarm wasn't going off when I wake before it, hop in the shower and after the alarm time it's not going off. It's because I got a notification in that time. Granted again this hasn't been an issue just an odd inconsistency.

Regardless of the situation and how likely or unlikely it is to happen it's still a bug that should not be overlooked. That's just substandard and for you that level of quality may be ok, but for me (especially since I use my iPhone as an alarm) I feel it should be fixed.

tateu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2012
Not sure if this has been shared:

If your alarm goes off the same time you receive a email (gmail app) then it turns your alarm off. I heard the alarm for a split second, then followed by the email alert then nothing.
Does the email have to be received at the exact time the alarm goes off? On an iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.3, with the alarm going off on the lockscreen, I have received 2 emails to the Gmail app, 3 emails to the Apple mail app and an iMessage. My alarm is still going. When a message comes in, the alarm volume drops for a second or two while the message sound goes off but then goes back to full volume.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
That's not a bug. That's the design choice.

Well, it's a lousy choice. Why on earth would you make the bar change sizes from lock to homescreen? It's kind of an eye sore. Minor issue, but still. Seems odd.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, it's a lousy choice. Why on earth would you make the bar change sizes from lock to homescreen? It's kind of an eye sore. Minor issue, but still. Seems odd.
Perhaps simply because they wanted to make things a bit larger on the lock screen given that it generally has more empty space and people often like to be able to quickly glance at it when the phone is a little further away from them compared to when they actually unlock and use the phone.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
I don't think that is it. It's about a 2 or 3 pixel difference. That isn't a significant increase to justify throwing the entire flow off from lock to unlock. No other iOS version that I am aware of has done this. I maintain that it is a bug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.