Found a dead pixel on my iphone 4...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by entraik, Mar 31, 2011.

1. entraik macrumors 6502a

however, it's soooo small and ud have to look for it... not gonna bother returning it. anyways, what i want to know is...can more dead pixels appear over time?

2. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

I would return it, as that's a defect in the screen. It's up to you though. One dead pixel won't cause others, but if the screen is defective, you could see more eventually.

3. entraik thread starter macrumors 6502a

is that just a guess, or a fact? i need to know for sure.

4. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Well it's not a fact.

In most cases, you will not see more defective pixels. But it is a manufacturing defect and I personally would get it replaced.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I would go get it replaced too, if the store isn't far away.

6. yoavcs macrumors regular

Dead pixels are a fact of life with LCD technology. Sometimes they go away with time (cycling of the screen colors at the spot where the pixel is can sometimes "release" it if it is stuck and not dead - is the pixel completely black or stuck on a certain color?)

As long as they are just one or two I wouldn't bother with it. Your new iPhone would have just as big a chance of having one as your old.

In fact, Apple's (and every other computer manufacturer's) policy is that there have to be more than a certain amout of clustered dead pixels (I think it is 5) before they will consider it faulty and worthy of a repair.

If the phone is a few days old they might exchange it just out of company policy of letting the consumer feel all tingly with his new iDevice. But if it's older than you are on your own.

That being said, if you pass by an Apple store you can always pop in and try. Nothing to be lost except for a feeling of being a fool when you get home with your new iPhone and discover that *it* has *two* dead pixels...

7. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

I got it replaced with no bother at the store.

8. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

9. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

My iPhone 4 has had a dead pixel for the past 5 months. Doesn't bother me as I don't see it with day to day use. I have to stop what I am doing, turn my screen to full brightness and look at a black background to find it.

I won't exchange it as it doesn't bother me and my screen is the nice, crisp BLUE/WHITE color. Not the nasty yellow.

10. iFiend macrumors 65816

Genius replaced my phone over one dead pixel. It was in the status bar, right next to the time, so it was quite noticeable.

11. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

12. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

It really depends where it is. Like the post above you, if it's in the status bar, it would be a lot more noticeable than it it were somewhere else.

13. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Aren't the pixels on the retina display very small? Do you have superhuman vision?

14. iPhoners.org macrumors newbie

iPhoners.org

If you are covered by a warranty, why don't you get it replaced?

I know you felt annoying to know that your i4 has a dead pixel..

15. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I'm in the same boat, just discovered a dead pixel on my 3GS, so disappointing, my first iPhone, I was enjoying it immensely, wrapped it up in Incase Slider, applied a Steinheil screen protector with a surgical precision... and now this...

[​IMG]

Strangely it vanishes when I look at it from different angles.

16. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

WHAT movie is this ?!!? haha

17. funwithamar macrumors regular

return in now .. its going to spread ... my iphone 2g started with 1 pixel to 25 % of the screen :(

edit : btw if its grey in color - its a dead pixel. but if its of some other color .. it might just be a stuck pixel (should fix itself )

18. romeo0119 macrumors 6502

I returned mine before with one dead pixel but if I have one now on my current phone I wouldn't only because mine is still
    on baseband 1.59 and it's unlockable. I would probably sell it and save the money for the next iPhone.

19. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Not if you are OCD!:eek:

20. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Bedazzled. Hilarious movie.