Found an interesting raid box

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by philipma1957, Oct 7, 2010.

1. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

2. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

I saw this one you linked to and researched it a touch as I was curious ? read some reviews on the chip and they were getting something like under 50 MB/s write ! and about 100 read !

3. philipma1957 thread starter macrumors 603

philipma1957

well at 50mb/s and 100mb/s

that is next worthless. do you have a review link for it I could not find one. thanks

4. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/12/31/lian-li-vs-photofast-pcie-x1-raid-controllers/

I have two of the older ones they made for normal HDD I use for my Time Machine that is the reason when I saw the new ones was curious ?

mine I get about 95 MB/s write and 120 MB/s read ? enough for time machine :) but thats about it

the only way to get speed would be the Areca or any multi lane type setup

that review while on a card is the same raid or RoC meaning Raid on Chip controller so the out come will be the same
    that card will just be in another green board form inside the case :)

if I was to buy a new time machine box I would be looking at the sans digital units ? or JBOD just threw that in for good measure :) hehehehe

5. philipma1957, Oct 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2010

philipma1957 thread starter macrumors 603

philipma1957

yeah I got the sans digital /rosewill on the way.

as an aside I am doing a 7 zero erase on the owc qx2 unit I have 4 western digtal caviar blacks in it. a raid0 6tb big. so it will be a 2 day test 42tb of zeros written. I am using the owc esata card.

6. Rod330 macrumors newbie

I use the Synology Diskstation NAS for our TM backups.....great performance with 1Gbps ethernet with max jumbo frames....not sure how it would perform as an external raid array but it does offer native support for raid 0, 1 and JBOD. The two bay DS209 cost me less than $300 at Newegg (drives extra of course). Of course, make sure your switch supports 1Gbps and jumbo frames too.

http://www.synology.com/us/products/DS209/spec.php

7. philipma1957 thread starter macrumors 603

philipma1957

I use a synology 109 1 bay as my hub for the 2 mini's mac pro and the iMac. I can record on all my computers via eyetv. I record in any given machine they all can dump a copy to the synology and then I can watch the show on any computer. this allows 4 recordings at a time. if I like the show a lot. I have a large 2 bay drive hookuped to the nas and i copy a backup to it.

8. Rod330 macrumors newbie

9. philipma1957 thread starter macrumors 603

philipma1957

via the usb. the syn 109 has a 2tb samsung and the other drive is a sans digital with 2 2tb drives in JOBD. I just click and drag to the sans digital. if i really want the show I drag to both jobd discs . so in effect One of the 4 computers has the original show. the syn has a copy and on the sans digital each disc has a copy.

of course some shows just stay on the computer I recorded them to.
    some show stay on the recording computer and the syn.
    some show on the comp the syn and one of the sans digital drives.

I have to delete some off the computers and the syn but with the sans when the hdd is full I pull it and store it in a hdd holder. worked better before hd tv now I eat a lot of disc space up but I don't lose any shows.